Hacking is it possible to manually add a chip and switch to the R4i card?

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i am thinking about how the ACE3DS X and R4i Gold plus did add the switch to the card
can i do it with my R4i Gold RTS or SDHC? or they added special chip that have the R4 firmware and another chip that have the NTRboot firm?

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, i meant add small chip to old card.
you will still need to redesign the pcb and make a new one,

since the Gold+ isnt the same as a Gold

yI0UiJA.jpg
AsMThyd.png

notice the different layout

Reactions: zoogie

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
just spend the $18 and buy one rather than having the headache of doing it
Easy say then do it, shipping will cost $38-$40 to my country.
I already have R4i -b9s got it for free.
But I don't want to reflash it every time i want to play DS games.

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that chip in the top-left looks like a common spi flash. just buy another one of those, cut the chip select line from the original, solder the new one on top, and have a switch to toggle which cs line is connected. should work. would be a bit of work making it fit in the shell though

Reactions: tunip3

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Easy say then do it, shipping will cost $38-$40 to my country.
I already have R4i -b9s got it for free.
But I don't want to reflash it every time i want to play DS games.
Where do you live? And why would you need to flash ntrboot to it so often that you get sick of it? Do you install CFW several times a day or what?

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where do you live? And why would you need to flash ntrboot to it so often that you get sick of it? Do you install CFW several times a day or what?
i think he does installations plus if you have children it is easy to teach them to flick a switch than to reflash it, also in some countries you get modchip shops that do hacks and free games installs

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
i think he does installations plus if you have children it is easy to teach them to flick a switch than to reflash it, also in some countries you get modchip shops that do hacks and free games installs
If he already has a ntrboot capable flashcart and he wants a second why not just get a super cheap one for like $5 and leave one always hacked?

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I live in Saudi Arabia, and i don't install cfw every day, maybe once in a week or two week, but i am afraid if i keep refreshing, the card will break or fried
I have spare dstwo but i decide not to use it because it drains battery Luke crazy and gw blue card doesn't support save stats.

If I remember buying my dstwo 5 years ago and it costed me with shipping around $70 (USD).

I hate shipping unless it's free (i got the R4i b9s for free with shipping).

anyway, it's not that big deal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

anyway, my whole question is i was wondering if anyone figure out how those flash cards with switch working from technical view, and if anyone can do make one.

Last edited by aos10,

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Saudi Arabia, and i don't install cfw every day, maybe once in a week or two week, but i am afraid if i keep refreshing, the card will break or fried
I have spare dstwo but i decide not to use it because it drains battery Luke crazy and gw blue card doesn't support save stats.

If I remember buying my dstwo 5 years ago and it costed me with shipping around $70 (USD).

I hate shipping unless it's free (i got the R4i b9s for free with shipping).

anyway, it's not that big deal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

anyway, my whole question is i was wondering if anyone figure out how those flash cards with switch working from technical view, and if anyone can do make one.
Im guessing the cart designers did something in software on the asic, which would be hard/impossible to replicate short of reprogramming if its like an fpga/cpld or redesigning the whole thing, but the method i suggested would probably work too. won't know for sure until someone tries

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Last I checked, shipping from nds-card.com wasn’t that expensive and I live in New Zealand which is basically in the middle of nowhere.

Let’s just keep this simple: no, you can’t. Even if you could, neither you nor I would have the knowledge nor the skills to actually achieve such a modification.

You say it’s a big deal to just buy another flashcard but if you need the functionality so often and so badly, I’d say it’s a worthy investment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended