Hacking Is it possible to make the wiikey open source?

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well seeing as the wiikey's foundation has become very shakey now that their site is basically gone, Is there any chance of making the chip accept open source firmware aswell?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Sigh. Their foundation is not shaky, Their site goes down. Deal with it.

Also, the Wiikey is just an ATMEL AVR (ATMEGA8L-8AU) Which can already be programmed with open source code.

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Their site has never been down this long, and I'm just covering my ass so that I don't have to re-chip my wii with a chip of lower quality...

and the fact that the team hasn't commented on their site being down is an ill omen(only one month til ssbb is released)

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Their site has never been down this long, and I'm just covering my ass so that I don't have to re-chip my wii with a chip of lower quality...

and the fact that the team hasn't commented on their site being down is an ill omen(only one month til ssbb is released)

And why would you have to replace it? If you were going to say because new features will arise in new chips (or the for whatever reason the chip gets outdated) that would make the wiikey of lower quality by being outdated wouldn't it
wink.gif
?

[Edit]

Also, the Wiikey is just an ATMEL AVR (ATMEGA8L-8AU) Which can already be programmed with open source code.
And as you see, artic_flame already stated the chip already accepts opensource firmware. You would however (prolly, unless an update disc would be made that contains opensource fw) have to open the Wii, remove the chip, flash it and reinsert it.

Now if you meant to say will the WiiKey team opensource their code? Nope they probably wont.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The wiikey code has already been dumped.
Thus making it open source.

However, the wiikey team has stated they are going to continue to support their chip but they had to take the site down after numerous legal threats.

Check out wiinewz. You'll find a lot of info.

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

And why would you have to replace it? If you were going to say because new features will arise in new chips (or the for whatever reason the chip gets outdated) that would make the wiikey of lower quality by being outdated wouldn't it
wink.gif
?

[Edit]

And as you see, artic_flame already stated the chip already accepts opensource firmware. You would however (prolly, unless an update disc would be made that contains opensource fw) have to open the Wii, remove the chip, flash it and reinsert it.

Now if you meant to say will the WiiKey team opensource their code? Nope they probably wont.

Well,I meant that the big N woould "break" the 1.9g and with out a new update from A. a third party or B.the team I would be stuck with a wii with a brickchip.

concerning the open source statement, I of course meant making the code free to the public but I thought everyone would understand that seeing as one can use hombrew apps already.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well depending on how 1.9g would be broken either all chips would stop functioning or just a few. Regardless as long as 1 chip that uses the atmega8L still works (and its hex is available) you could reflash your Wiikey to that chip (might require removing it to flash though).

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well depending on how 1.9g would be broken either all chips would stop functioning or just a few. Regardless as long as 1 chip that uses the atmega8L still works (and its hex is available) you could reflash your Wiikey to that chip (might require removing it to flash though).
Well removing the chip would void my warranty for sure, and if I mess up I'm left with a brickchip anyway.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

However, the wiikey team has stated they are going to continue to support their chip but they had to take the site down after numerous legal threats.

Since when was a dumped binary source?

The absolutely best thing you could get is AVR assembly, which is not source.

Basically, you're wrong.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well removing installing the chip in the first place would void my warranty for sure, and if I mess up I'm left with a brickchip unmodded wii anyway.

Fixed.

Openwii is decent and runs on the same microcontroller. Installing a mod chip implies a certain level of risk. If this is a problem, don't mod your console.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Basically, you're wrong.

Yeah, but since it's been dumped and made available to the public by the people that hacked it, could it not be edited for future updates if needed? I don't understand. I don't think I'm wrong.
xiaNaix would know more about this than any of us. He's the one that found it. I'm not sure how often he comes on here though seeing as how he has his own board to operate.

Here's a link that distinctly says they leaked the source code. So how am I wrong?
http://www.tehgamr.com/2007/08/18/wiikey-source-code-leaked/

Either way though the OP has nothing to worry about the wiikey team hasn't dissappeared. Just their site is down for legal reasons. They will still be here for when and if updates are needed.

EDIT: Just read the old topics at wiinewz. Here's the specifics; they got the AVR assembly and disassembled it. It was missing the opcode for movw, but was added in. You can use this code to program your own atmel making a wiikey without the $20 cost. However, It doesn't seem anyone has tried to edit the code in anyway. I think this is because there has been no reason to yet.

source 1:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...mel-code-2.html
source 2:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...mp-updated.html

So, no, I'm not wrong. I read about this months ago and I have a good memory. Maybe I just worded my post wrong...

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well removing installing the chip in the first place would void my warranty for sure, and if I mess up I'm left with a brickchip unmodded wii anyway.

Fixed.

Openwii is decent and runs on the same microcontroller. Installing a mod chip implies a certain level of risk. If this is a problem, don't mod your console.
I didn't install my chip(pros did and THEY gave me warranty on the chip etc.), and I'm not going to try to install one either seeing as pros can do it for me(leaving behind the risky part of chipping a wii).

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

Basically, you're wrong.

Yeah, but since it's been dumped and made available to the public by the people that hacked it, could it not be edited for future updates if needed? I don't understand. I don't think I'm wrong.
xiaNaix would know more about this than any of us. He's the one that found it. I'm not sure how often he comes on here though seeing as how he has his own board to operate.

Here's a link that distinctly says they leaked the source code. So how am I wrong?
http://www.tehgamr.com/2007/08/18/wiikey-source-code-leaked/

Either way though the OP has nothing to worry about the wiikey team hasn't dissappeared. Just their site is down for legal reasons. They will still be here for when and if updates are needed.

EDIT: Just read the old topics at wiinewz. Here's the specifics; they got the AVR assembly and disassembled it. It was missing the opcode for movw, but was added in. You can use this code to program your own atmel making a wiikey without the $20 cost. However, It doesn't seem anyone has tried to edit the code in anyway. I think this is because there has been no reason to yet.

source 1:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...mel-code-2.html
source 2:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...mp-updated.html

So, no, I'm not wrong. I read about this months ago and I have a good memory. Maybe I just worded my post wrong...

Disassembled binaries are not source code, as I already stated. The article writer at tehgamr hasn't a clue what he's on about. "It seems they are looking to hire a Atmel programmer to help hack into the code too." They were looking for a hardware SP12 programmer, not a person! lol.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it wasn't just the tehgamer article though there were also quite a few topics on wiinewz about people complaining about xianaix leaking the source code. probably just the same thing i was talking about though.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
It would be nice if flash card companies release the code upon retiring their card(s), like G6 Lite or older ones and make them open source.

But maybe for financial purposes, they dont.

Rugapand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be nice if flash card companies release the code upon retiring their card(s), like G6 Lite or older ones and make them open source.

But maybe for financial purposes, they dont.
But They don't make any money from old devices or their firmware(and one can always try to hack it and make an open source using the info obtained from hacking the device/chip like their trying to do with the ds-x).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs