Hacking Is it possible to make NAND backup of SysNAND 10.3 w/o hardmod?

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting ready to downgrade my brother's and sister-in-law's 3DSes and was wondering if there was a way for me to make NAND backups of their SysNAND before going through with the downgrade. Essentially, what I want to do is downgrade without them losing their progress in Mii Plaza, etc. The idea I had in mind was to take a backup of their current NANDs and use that for the EmuNAND in an unlinked setup.

If that can't be done, then is there a way I can do the downgrade without losing their current progress? If I can get it back to 9.2 without losing progress, then I can just use that as the base for EmuNAND.

Last edited by zhdarkstar,

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i downgraded to 9.2 without losing any progress with mii plaza nor any complications with nnid. i think most of the data is in the SD card, so just make sure to put back the files after downgrading.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gateway said they were working on 10.3 support, so maybe they are working on it.
But right now, it's easier to downgrade, then do a back up. I was able to downgrade and keep all of my progress.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
of course you can make a backup, you just couldn't flash it back to the 3ds itself.

but generally, right after creating emunand, its basically a 100% copy of sysnand anyway, so unless you go ahead and format your emunand (without first making backups of your files from sd and the emunand partition) you dont lose anything.
to unlink, just follow a guide that formats sysnand files. (may give you a little trouble with nnid though, but there's fixes to clean that up too)

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knowing that I can do the downgrade without losing progress is good news. I'll just downgrade them first. Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BE CAREFUL.

What all these guys aren't telling you is that if you get a soft brick after downgrade (reasonably likely) you may get stuck in a soft brick downgrade loop trying over and over and soft bricking every time. If this happens one of the most common ways out is to format your 3ds prior to downgrade, in which case you lose your progress. I had to give up my progress to get my n3ds downgraded. it might be possible to get the mii plaza data out of the NAND with homebrew but I wasn't able to find anything that seemed reasonable to accomplish.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BE CAREFUL.

What all these guys aren't telling you is that if you get a soft brick after downgrade (reasonably likely) you may get stuck in a soft brick downgrade loop trying over and over and soft bricking every time. If this happens one of the most common ways out is to format your 3ds prior to downgrade, in which case you lose your progress. I had to give up my progress to get my n3ds downgraded. it might be possible to get the mii plaza data out of the NAND with homebrew but I wasn't able to find anything that seemed reasonable to accomplish.

You can back all of your saves up with svdt prior to the downgrade as well.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry i should have clarified i meant actual gamesaves, not things like Mii Plaza. I never found a use for those apps so i just grazed over them, sorry about that.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry i should have clarified i meant actual gamesaves, not things like Mii Plaza. I never found a use for those apps so i just grazed over them, sorry about that.
it's all good, mii plaza was specifically what the OP was asking about saving :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, My friend passed away 3 days ago. :( +1