Is it possible to make a virgin NAND backup?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by marzsyndrome, Feb 27, 2011.

Feb 27, 2011
  1. marzsyndrome
    OP

Newcomer marzsyndrome Member

United Kingdom
    Hello all. I obtained a shiny red Wii (the Mario 25th Anniversary edition one) last Christmas and have been looking forward to fully unlocking its major potential. [​IMG]

I still have yet to install HBC on it, but as it's a 4.3 unit, and I have a copy of Lego Indiana Jones (which set me back £40 on eBay >.

2. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    You have to install bootmii at least. To make a backup of an untouched system only using a external nand programmer, I think.

It seems you are having trouble modding it, have you tried using modmii (sticked thread)?

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    You can't make one that could be restored. Besides, no harm can come to your Wii just by installing Bootmii.

4. marzsyndrome
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what you mean by "having trouble modding it" - I've been concentrating on trying to get a "before-install" NAND dump first and foremost.

I was informed about another DOL-to-ELF program - "dol2elf" funnily enough [​IMG] - that requires me to compile it first before I can run it. Has anyone ever used this program before and can confirm whether ELFs created with it work better through exploits than "doltool" ones, or are the results the same?

5. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Your idea of creating a nand backup without ANYTHING installed is good, most people would want that.
    But you CANNOT have a nand backup without running bootmii first, no way around it.
    Hacking a Wii has been around awhile, and it cannot be done, xflak, deadlyfoez, and others have been around too long to not think of your idea.
    Bottom line: You gotta run bootmii / HBC first to get your nand. 100% of us have......

run modmii from my sig, its xflak's program, one of the best.

6. marzsyndrome
    OP

United Kingdom
    I see. Can anyone explain why I wouldn't be able to use any of the other NAND tools like WiiND, SFSD, RealWND or YAWND though?

Do they all require an IOS too or is it some other issue?

7. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    You'll need Bootmii and (possibly) HBC on your Wii first. That's where my backup has been taken from. Only Bootmii is an IOS on the system, HBC is just a channel you can delete at will. Bootmii does no harm and can be uninstalled from the hackmii installer quite easily if you were wanting to put it back to Ninty (though they're quite good at post-hack detection these days. AnyTitleDeleter is detectable and they charge extra for fixes on hacked consoles)

8. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    He will need HBC too, to have a way to launch Bootmii IOS.

9. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Couldn't remember. My Wii's launch so i'm fully brick protected with Boot2 Bootmii.

Anyway just a warning that ANY hacks you do on your Wii will void your Warranty and have almost no chance of getting it back except an entirely virgin NAND restore. Its possible that those other NAND dumpers will work like Bootmii but require no extra hacks (you'll need to set the DOLs up to run from your SD root) as long as they don't use any custom/trucha bugged IOSes. Its also possible they haven't been updated for newest hardware revisions but unlikely. Give them all a try and save each backup in case one is messed up.

10. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
  11. marzsyndrome
    OP

United Kingdom
    From reading that, is this to just create a new nand.bin, fill it with whatever you want and then write it to your Wii? Or can it somehow dump the existing NAND also?

12. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Basically you can use NUS downloader and build yourself an entirely clean NAND to restore to your Wii.

13. marzsyndrome
    OP

United Kingdom
    In the case of my Wii - where there are many pre-installed channels (such as the Donkey Kong one) - would I need to do a BootMii dump, take the bonus content and then include it in the new nand.bin if I wish to recreate the system as I bought it???

Just seeing if I'm on the right track in regards to this tool.

14. petspeed

Member petspeed GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    No, you don't need HBC. I use Dacotaco's Bootmii Booter. It's an ELF file that can be launched by an exploit like Indiana Pwns and that will load Bootmii IOS. This way the only thing that needs to be installed is Bootmii.

15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    If I understand this question correctly, then no. Think of the nand as the hard drive of your wii. Everything that the wii stores - savegames, channels miis, system settings, personal messages, firmware stuff, ... - is all stored on that nand. As such, restoring your nand will put your wii back to the exact spot when you made the backup (I may we wrong, but I think even the wii's date and time will be set back to that moment).

And yes...as others have said multiple times: you will need to install at least bootmii on your wii in order to make a backup (for a restore later on, you may needing priiloader as well to load bootmii). Don't worry: it won't overwrite anything on the interior of your wii.

16. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

FYI it can be done quite easily, just that nobody has done it yet (especially not the people you mention, since they're not wii programmers).

17. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    deleted by author

18. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Back when trucha bug was still present in all IOS, there where a bunch of non-BootMii NAND dumpers that'd work just fine without anything permanently installed on your Wii. It'd still be possible to use those tools, except there are no public IOS exploits in the current IOS. But if you had an IOS exploit that worked with the latest official IOS, you could make a NAND dumper like this and do what I think (from scan reading) the OP wants.

And of course, there is another option: Use an Infectus to dump the NAND chip (requires dismantling the Wii, desoldering the NAND chip, connecting it to Infectus, resoldering it to Wii and reassembling Wii; probably not what most people want to do)

But ohneswanzenegger is probably the best option if you want an unmodified ("virgin") NAND dump.

19. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I meant loading bootmii from the SD card (armboot.bin/ppcboot.elf) without needing to install anything first.
    Those old NAND dumpers weren't very good because IOS was still running as the dump was being made, modifying files behind the dumper's back.

20. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Oh OK. Yeah obviously that is possible, HackMii Installer loads MINI into memory, then reloads into MINI AFAIK.