is it possible to launch wads from an sd card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kevin578, Jul 22, 2009.

Jul 22, 2009
  1. Kevin578
    OP

Member Kevin578 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i'm running out of space on my wii, and was wondering if you could lauch wads directly from an sd card without installing it to the wii.

2. OtakuGamerZ

Member OtakuGamerZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think the only way is to use waninkoko's 4.1 updater and use the sd menu.

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    4.0 does it as well. You just need to upgrade and then patch IOS60 either with DOP-IOS or the shop channel updater app or by installing a patched IOS60 wad. Then you can just install the wad's of the vc games and then move them to your sd card through the Wii's data management. It doesn't ACTUALLY play them from the SD card though. It will technically copy it back to the system when you play it and then delete it afterwards, but it does it seamlessly without much delay so as far as the end user is concerned it does play from the sd card as long as there is enough space on the wii to at least copy that game back over.

Apparently with cIOS rev14 which is possibly coming out this weekend (or September if not) the new feature of it is NAND emulation. So you would be able to run your entire system menu off of your SD card/usb device and as such your vc games would REALLY be running off of the sd card/usb device as well.