Is it possible to install multiple copies of the same title?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by OldGnashburg, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:59 PM.

1. OldGnashburg
    OP

OldGnashburg Canadian Zoomer

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    So I want to mod Breath of the Wild, and Smash 4. SDCaffiine is nice but Breath of the Wild pushes mods out of RAM after a while and it can be unstable with Smash 4. A workaround for that would be editing the files with FTPiiU Everywhere, thus permanently installing the mods. But this too has drawbacks because I still want to play vanilla BotW and Smash 4. So my question is if there is a way to change the Title ID or some other identifier in order to install both a vanilla copy and a modded copy of games, without just having two hard drives and swapping them.

2. bitzthatbyte

bitzthatbyte Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2014
    United Kingdom
    yeah changing the the title ID should work, or you could install US and EU version as they are different titleID's

CORE likes this.
  3. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Are sure? Have you tried it yourself? I'm assuming I would have to unpack and edit the meta.xml or something, do you know how I would do that? Also I want to stay away from installing non-US titles.

Last edited by OldGnashburg, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:04 AM
  4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    copy may work, 'cause the system allows you to move or to copy content. I copied mine for cbhc, so my tile doesn't show "don't touch." in fact, it didn't change at all. however the game will be shown on the system in one tile. I'm not sure how well changing the title id would be. the .tik (tickets) contain the content id. I don't know if it's using that to find the ticket on your system.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you can get the meta.xml with ftpii u everywhere. that might be the easiest way. I know that that file contains the game name (probably title id too). I think nintendo relied way too heavily on xml files when it comes to the security of the system.

iirc, since it's a game, it will be in the 00050000 folder. I think it's the first 8 bytes that determine game, update, or dlc. then, it's followed by the content id.

jeannotte likes this.
  6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I have a backup of important files on my hdd or ones that I've modified. the title id is in the meta.xml, but I don't think this is going to work.

7. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Man that sucks, if Loadiine wasn't ridiculously slow I would just use that, have a dual hard drive setup for my vWii, if only I could get loadiine to read the NTFS partition.

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think that's why some people were using the title id for going from homebrew browser to vwii's homebrew channel. I have usb loader gx that I think does that. instead of going through the hassle of creating your own title id, it's using the one above. that's part of what makes me think it's not such a simple task.

you have to be really careful with content on the wii u, 'cause if anything is out of place, the game will not boot.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

btw, you might see what copy does (if anything). apparently, the system reads the usb version first or it takes precedence. I think that's why my stuff didn't change from redNAND to "don't touch." both games are on there, but they're using different files. it does not hinder anything as I've had it set up this way for several years.

9. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    I have redNAND, but unlike a tradition emuNAND it just redirects stuff but things still get confused, if you delete titles on SysNAND, it'll show corrupted data on RedNAND and you won't be able to get rid of it, so it's pointless. I have SysConfig Tool working on both RedNAND and SysNAND, though I would only seriously mess with it on RedNAND.

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I still have redNAND on my card as well. the original NAND dumper would truncate the file, so redNAND has a tendency to get corrupted. I've never seen it happen to me, but I've read various reports that it does, which is why most don't like messing with redNAND.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted