Hardware Is it possible to insert your own images into the Switch's Gallery and View them?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't look at this, but probably the switch puts a digital signature for the whole file inside metadata and won't open something not signed and created by itself (in that case you would need its private key to sign jpegs).
Try swapping one bit in a screenshot file and check if it still opens.
If not, it is probably hashing and digitally signing the files.

that's an interesting theory. looks like Nintendo isn't taking any chances with the switch. I don't own the console (yet) or else I'd play around with it.

D

Deleted User

Didn't look at this, but probably the switch puts a digital signature for the whole file inside metadata and won't open something not signed and created by itself (in that case you would need its private key to sign jpegs).
i'll take a look

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can we also just appreciate that no matter what day the screenshot was taken, it will always show up as 12/31/1979.

Also, in the file name it has some sort of information (idk why the chose the file name to store it in)

like this: 466683549EC0B90D20925E0594733A31

EDIT: This information has to do with the game. I.E:

all my BotW screenshots have this in the name: F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.

(oh my gosh a triple post)

This is correct. 1 bit of data resulted in "The data could not be displayed"

The question I have is if the signature is in the metadata or is it signed by a Switch unique key.

Last edited by ,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have perhaps a screenshot JPG file from your Switch that you could share?
I want to check if you can view JPG made in one Nintendo Switch using another Nintendo Switch.
It would work to know if they are signed with a key unique to each console.
If it is a screenshot from either BotW, Disgaea 5, MK8DX, Fast RMX, Blaster Master Zero, Minecraft, or Rudymical it would be better. I want to limit to games I have, just in case it also checks for that.

PS: There is a "mysterious" 44 bytes of binary data on the Maker Notes for the EXIF of the JPG files created by the Switch. It looks small for a digital signature, but enough for a SHA1 hash, so perhaps it is only hashed. I haven't looked into that deeply though.

First findings:
  • If the file name doesn't have the correct format (that is YYYYMMDDhhmmss0-GameID) they won't even show up in the Album.
  • If the date and time from the EXIF metadata don't match with the filename, they won't even show up the thumbnail.
  • It seems Metadata is also hashed/signed, if you change both file name and EXIF for the time it shows the thumbnail, but not the actual image. (but it may be possible so to put any thumbnail you want and watch it at least, POC for the future)
  • It doesn't matter if the file creation date is 1979 or 2017, it still opens it fine.

D

Deleted User

Do you have perhaps a screenshot JPG file from your Switch that you could share?
I want to check if you can view JPG made in one Nintendo Switch using another Nintendo Switch.
It would work to know if they are signed with a key unique to each console.
If it is a screenshot from either BotW, Disgaea 5, MK8DX, Fast RMX, Blaster Master Zero, Minecraft, or Rudymical it would be better. I want to limit to games I have, just in case it also checks for that.

PS: There is a "mysterious" 44 bytes of binary data on the Maker Notes for the EXIF of the JPG files created by the Switch. It looks small for a digital signature, but enough for a SHA1 hash, so perhaps it is only hashed. I haven't looked into that deeply though.

First findings:
  • If the file name doesn't have the correct format (that is YYYYMMDDhhmmss0-GameID) they won't even show up in the Album.
  • If the date and time from the EXIF metadata don't match with the filename, they won't even show up the thumbnail.
  • It seems Metadata is also hashed/signed, if you change both file name and EXIF for the time it shows the thumbnail, but not the actual image. (but it may be possible so to put any thumbnail you want and watch it at least, POC for the future)
  • It doesn't matter if the file creation date is 1979 or 2017, it still opens it fine.
This is even better because it is from something everyone has.

Attachments

• srcimage.jpg
    srcimage.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 848

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is even better because it is from something everyone has.
Do you remember the original name of the image?
It is important because (according to the findings above) if it is not named the same it will not load.

PS: looking at the EXIF the name must be 2017032313431500-somecodehere.jpg

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
D

Deleted User

Do you remember the original name of the image?
It is important because (according to the findings above) if it is not named the same it will not load.
right.

let me get another image. sorry

from zelda

Attachments

• 2017032319391500-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
    2017032319391500-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 723

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
New finding, the system is an asshole.
It seems it won't show up anything inside a folder that hasn't the date 1979-12-31 22:00 UTC.
The problem is that fucking date is illegal for the exFAT file system (that supports from 1980 and on). I don't know how the fuck it achieves setting an illegal date in the file system, but I can't replicate it with my OS, because I create anything before 1980 and when I move it to the SD it gets a 1980 date, even if I copy paste a folder, it changes the date to 1980 inside the SD.
Fucking ass.

Well, in order to test it I will have to put the file in a folder the Switch already created for me.
The problem is I haven't taken any screenshot on the 23 of March, unfortunately.
So if you have a screenshot for any of the following dates, please share (fucking asshole system):
March 2017: on the 10th, 13th, 14th, 18th, 21st.
April 2017: on the 16th, 18th.
May 2017: on the 4th.

Or I guess I could take a screenshot today for it to generate the folder also, so:
June 2017: on the 8th.

D

Deleted User

New finding, the system is an asshole.
It seems it won't show up anything inside a folder that hasn't the date 1979-12-31 22:00 UTC.
The problem is that fucking date is illegal for the exFAT file system (that supports from 1980 and on). I don't know how the fuck it achieves setting an illegal date in the file system, but I can't replicate it with my OS, because I create anything before 1980 and when I move it to the SD it gets a 1980 date, even if I copy paste a folder, it changes the date to 1980 inside the SD.
Fucking ass.

Well, in order to test it I will have to put the file in a folder the Switch already created for me.
The problem is I haven't taken any screenshot on the 23 of March, unfortunately.
So if you have a screenshot for any of the following dates, please share (fucking asshole system):
March 2017: on the 10th, 13th, 14th, 18th, 21st.
April 2017: on the 16th, 18th.
May 2017: on the 4th.

Or I guess I could take a screenshot today for it to generate the folder also, so:
June 2017: on the 8th.
yeah i took one today (well, if you modify it, it resaves to today)

They also definitely did that to prevent tampering with.

Attachments

• 2017060811221400-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg
    2017060811221400-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 559

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah i took one today (well, if you modify it, it resaves to today)

They also definitely did that to prevent tampering with.
It is OK, as I tested before it doesn't check the modification date for the files, only for the folders.
I will try now.

Well, the image shows up, so at least we can say it is not using a key unique to the console.
So perhaps it is using a common key, or it is only hashing it (not signing it).

Things to solve to put images in your Switch:
  • Find a way to create folders with the illegal date of 1979-12-31 22:00 UTC
  • Find if it is signing or hashing the file
  • If it signs it, you need the common key, PITA, won't happen anytime soon.
  • If it hashes it, identify the algorithm and duplicate it (could also be a PITA)
  • I have a hunch that the hash/sign is stored in the EXIF for Maker notes.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, , Reason: Learn2English
D

Deleted User

It is OK, as I tested before it doesn't check the modification date for the files, only for the folders.
I will try now.

Well, the image shows up, so at least we can say it is not using a key unique to the console.

• If it hashes it, identify the algorithm and duplicate it (could also be a PITA)
Yeah the first thing to do will be the easiest. I'll work that one out. I was using my 3ds SD card to do this so it was formatted with Fat32.

D

Deleted User

I will try now.

Well, the metadata (besides the hash/sign if it is in the metadata) is blocked from editing as well.

In other news, making the false folder is easy (at least on Fat32, I haven't done anything with exFAT because I don't have anything on it).

I tried changing the date in the metadata of one of the screenshots and it doesn't show up (it was in the proper folder for the date, and the name was changed as well.

When I get some free time later today I'll take a look at the maker notes and see if I can find anything.

Just looked at some 44 bytes of data (like you mentioned earlier) and I have to say, zeroing it out didn't change the image or the metadata. Of course, I am not one that knows a whole lot about metadata and the sort, but I'm going to try the new image on the switch and see what happens.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what OS are you trying to set the date and time on? Any one try using a linux base OS to do this.
Also wonder how things will be since nintendo did say we will be able to record videos in the future.

D

Deleted User

what OS are you trying to set the date and time on? Any one try using a linux base OS to do this.
Also wonder how things will be since nintendo did say we will be able to record videos in the future.
Working on linux.

@sarkwalvein i think we found that magic 44 bytes. It could have been the thumbnail but I am pretty sure that changing the thumbnail wouldn't leave the image unable to render.

Of course it could be more than 44 bytes.

I need to leave so I hope you can work on this some. Unless of course you don't want to, that one is up to you.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Working on OSX, but still changing dates with the Unix touch command.

@blujay It is a little late now here in Germany, but tomorrow after work I will take a look at it.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Internet Browser, no non-game applications like a YouTube app, not even custom images in a picture album.

They know what they're doing.
I was under the impression they have no browser because browser cracked both the 3DS and Wii U. You could actually blame us for that.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression they have no browser because browser cracked both the 3DS and Wii U. You could actually blame us for that.
Hence, they know what they're doing. They're removing or strictly limiting any feature that could possibly be exploited.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No Internet Browser, no non-game applications like a YouTube app, not even custom images in a picture album.

They know what they're doing.
It's precisely because they don't know what they're doing that they have to even exclude these things to begin with.

Plus, there technically is a browser there anyway, and people have already begun running code through it (though we're not up to any proper hacks yet, of course).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.