Homebrew Is it possible to improve Gamecube games on Wii?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Lol, I have 8 months of absolute freedom. And I was thinking about re-playing all my Gamecube games. Specially because Zelda Collectors Edition formatted my Memory Card... but anyway...
So, is there any possibility to make Cube games look better on Wii?
I've looked for information on Google and all points to "No"
That's why I'm asking here.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Depends on what you mean. You can get some component cables and use progressive scan mode (or force it if you have to) to get a better picture. If you mean something beyond that, perhaps not.

I meant something like forcing the Cube Game to output the Wii resolution.
I do not have any component cables though.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I meant something like forcing the Cube Game to output the Wii resolution.
I do not have any component cables though.
The component cables would do exactly what you want. Even without progressive scan enabled, you'd get a 480i output resolution. I use a third party Insignia multi-console set of cables and I love it (It's this one). Makes everything look great even on modern TVs. I'm not sure if there would be any way to force any significantly better picture out of composite cables even with homebrew since the format itself is limited. But yeah, I'd suggest grabbing some cheap component cables, probably nothing from China, though, and giving that a shot. I remember Nintendont having options for forcing progressive scan on GC games, and I'm sure there are some other loaders that do as well. If you're not willing to spend a couple bucks on a better cable than composite, I don't think there's much you can do, though I'd take a look at Nintendont and see if it has any options for you before giving up.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends on what you mean. You can get some component cables and use progressive scan mode (or force it if you have to) to get a better picture. If you mean something beyond that, perhaps not.

Do note that early Wii models have inferior component out than GC. However, you could get a better model Wii at a lower cost than it would be to get GC component cables. So unless you really, really want the best possible output for the GBA player, go find a red or black Wii. While there are white Wiis with the later boards, a red or black one is guaranteed to be a later revision.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Do note that early Wii models have inferior component out than GC. However, you could get a better model Wii at a lower cost than it would be to get GC component cables. So unless you really, really want the best possible output for the GBA player, go find a red or black Wii. While there are white Wiis with the later boards, a red or black one is guaranteed to be a later revision.
I did not know this, actually. I'm glad I bought the black model when I picked one up.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The component cables would do exactly what you want. Even without progressive scan enabled, you'd get a 480i output resolution. I use a third party Insignia multi-console set of cables and I love it (It's this one). Makes everything look great even on modern TVs. I'm not sure if there would be any way to force any significantly better picture out of composite cables even with homebrew since the format itself is limited. But yeah, I'd suggest grabbing some cheap component cables, probably nothing from China, though, and giving that a shot. I remember Nintendont having options for forcing progressive scan on GC games, and I'm sure there are some other loaders that do as well. If you're not willing to spend a couple bucks on a better cable than composite, I don't think there's much you can do, though I'd take a look at Nintendont and see if it has any options for you before giving up.

I will get one of those cables.
I tried Nintendon't once and all I got was black screen on Gamecube games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_technical_specifications

Most NTSC games support 480p in GameCube. That's also the Maximum resolution in the Wii, so I don't get what resolution "improvement" you're talking here.

Get the component cable, as everyone else has already said.

That means that Gamecube games on Wii are displayed at maximum resolution?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That means that Gamecube games on Wii are displayed at maximum resolution?
This is correct. GameCube games are already at their maximum when using a Nintendo Wii to play them. The hardware of a Nintendo Wii doesn't support anything higher than 480p. Aside from using component cables with your Wii to get 480p instead of 480i, there's nothing you can do.

If you're using component cables, many GameCube games natively support 480p instead of 480i. For games that doesn't natively support progressive scan, it can usually be forced with homebrew. It makes some difference, but it's probably not the big difference you're looking for. Standard definition (480i and 480p) doesn't look good on an HDTV, especially if the TV is large. If component cables with progressive scan don't do it for you, here are some options:
  • Move the HDTV farther away.
  • Use a smaller HDTV.
  • Use an old SDTV.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is correct. GameCube games are already at their maximum when using a Nintendo Wii to play them. The hardware of a Nintendo Wii doesn't support anything higher than 480p. Aside from using component cables with your Wii to get 480p instead of 480i, there's nothing you can do.

If you're using component cables, many GameCube games natively support 480p instead of 480i. For games that doesn't natively support progressive scan, it can usually be forced with homebrew. It makes some difference, but it's probably not the big difference you're looking for. Standard definition (480i and 480p) doesn't look good on an HDTV, especially if the TV is large. If component cables with progressive scan don't do it for you, here are some options:
  • Move the HDTV farther away.
  • Use a smaller HDTV.
  • Use an old SDTV.

I see. Amazing.
I'm not looking for amazing display.
More like, brighter colours and sharper pictures.

I remember playing Wind Waker on Cube and it always seemed a bit gray-ish to me.
To be honest, I dont remember how it looks on Wii.
My TV is an old SDTV, and I do want to try a Homebrew to "improve" the picture (yet again, now I understand that it cant get any better without cables and a better TV)

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The convenience of Nintendont and memory card emulation is enough to justify playing GC on Wii. The cheap component cable (monoprice) is icing on the cake. I have a very nice Gamecube setup ... orange Japanese Gamecube with XenoGC installed and 100% reliable reading my burns, matching orange GBPlayer, two matching orange controllers, and 2 Wavebirds. All in excellent condition. But I don't use it much. I use one of the Wavebirds on the Wii for all my Gamecube needs, except for when I want to play GBA on the GBPlayer.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, I think the best that can be done is
  • Use component cables
  • Use a smaller TV or don't sit too close to it (Especially if HD) Though I thought the progressive mode is to help with HDTV
Honestly I don't think much can be done, I mean maybe i don't think even wii u helps all that much, unless you play one of the HD ports like wind waker HD not use Nintendont on WII U. Assuming you don't want to use emulators, think that is about it.:unsure:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Amazing.
I'm not looking for amazing display.
More like, brighter colours and sharper pictures.

I remember playing Wind Waker on Cube and it always seemed a bit gray-ish to me.
To be honest, I dont remember how it looks on Wii.
My TV is an old SDTV, and I do want to try a Homebrew to "improve" the picture (yet again, now I understand that it cant get any better without cables and a better TV)
If you're using an old SDTV, then that's the best possible picture you can get using the Wii or GameCube. Using an SDTV without component ports, the only thing you can do is mess with the TV settings. You have no other options.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unless someone has a modchip that upgrades the internal resolution and changes the cable to HDMI, you're outta luck.
And what about Dolphin?
Ah, no.
I don't want to use my lap for gaming.
That's why I have my Wii.

And to be honest, I don't know where to find ISO's... so even If I try to, I wouldn't have the pattience to wait for those to download.

The convenience of Nintendont and memory card emulation is enough to justify playing GC on Wii. The cheap component cable (monoprice) is icing on the cake. I have a very nice Gamecube setup ... orange Japanese Gamecube with XenoGC installed and 100% reliable reading my burns, matching orange GBPlayer, two matching orange controllers, and 2 Wavebirds. All in excellent condition. But I don't use it much. I use one of the Wavebirds on the Wii for all my Gamecube needs, except for when I want to play GBA on the GBPlayer.
Nice!

If you're using an old SDTV, then that's the best possible picture you can get using the Wii or GameCube. Using an SDTV without component ports, the only thing you can do is mess with the TV settings. You have no other options.
Thank you anyway.
Now I know that I can get the best picture without Homebrew or Component cables.
Personally, I'm not crazy about graphics. So, is fine for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.