Is it possible to identify NAND backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rizsher, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010
  1. rizsher
    OP

Newcomer rizsher Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello,

Over the last few months I've done soft mods for a few Wii's for friends and family. The first thing I always did before proceeding would be to take a NAND backup. Quite smart of me I thought when I did it.

However, now, I've got 5 files names NAND.bin scattered in different folders and no diea which one belongs to which Wii!!!. Was wondering if the MAC address, or Wii serial number is actually embedded somewhere in the NAND that I can use to match a backup to a console?.

I opened one file in HexEdit, couldn't really see anything of help.

Thanks for any assistance.

Riz

2. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think the NAND is encrypted with the per-console key, which would explain why you couldn't find anything with a hex editor.

Surely there's some sort of tool out there for decrypting a NAND dump and extracting files from it...

3. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Is keys.bin included with each NAND.bin? You could open the keys.bin with Notepad and compare the console ID with the one found in BootMii on the Wii.

4. Remfin

Newcomer Remfin Advanced Member

United States
    NAND.bin itself has the keys.bin embedded at 0x21000000. I don't think any of the values involve something like the serial number, but at least one of the values should be in the header of any save file you can copy over.

5. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    I thought BootMii included a keys.bin with the nand.bin? It did for me. But afaik you can read the console id within BootMii.

6. Skiller

Member Skiller GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    u could extract the Nand.bin to see whats in it .. also then u could see the WiiID from in there as well in one of the Shared section sorry cant remember the exact location right now but will come back and post when i remember.. [​IMG] But u should know what is what by Exploding the Nand into files [​IMG]

Old versions of Bootmii dont give the the Key.bin only the newest one does .

7. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    why not just sort the nand dumps by the date of creation, if you can remember the order in which you hacked the Wii's.

8. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    You could use Sneek to emulate and see which Mii's are on each then you would be able to tell them apart

9. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

my thoughts exactly