Hacking Is it possible to have multiple firmwares on one MicroSD.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm just curious about this.

Call me lazy if you will, but I think this might be a smart idea.

What I want to do, is have AKAIO, the DSTT, and M3DSReal Touchpod/Sakura firmwares all on the same MicroSD card, so that rather than having to constantly move stuff around between my other cards, I can just pop the MicroSD card into them and keep going.

Is this safe and/or possible?

Edit: Looks like I shouldn't have any issues with saves. All of the saves I have seem to fall under the same category on shunnyweb, so I should be fine on those.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the cart you're using, but yes, it's possible with some of them to have multiple FW's on the same cart. I always ran the original FW and YSmenu on the R4 when I used that cart.

Generally, you'll have to use a default FW at boot, but you can just load the other FW after that if a game isn't working with the Default FW.

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
yes is possible if the system files have different folders and names, for example is not possible to put r4s software on same microsd due the use similar names. but for dstt ak2 ez5 supercard etc is possible to use same microsd

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just stick with one firmware... (AKAIO is my preference) If you keep switching carts you risk losing your saves. Not to mention that AKAIO is the most reliable for saves and patches...

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
as long as they do not use same folder or boot files it should be fine.

I can report that I had M3 real triple boot (way back when the sakura was still unofficial hack and had the unofficial tripleboot thing) and cycloDS (what kinda does not count but it DOES write the boot data on microSD) and both worked fine.

As long as acekard firmware is in it's own folder, and DSTT does not also use system etc folder - it should work as well.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the firmware fies for the iEDGE, the SCDS1i, the DSTT, the iPlayer, M3 Sakura (Some old version, used it when I borrowed a friend's M3), AKAIO 1.4 (outdated), and that iEDGE clone that popped up recently

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I have tested this on my break at work today.

It does work, and so far I haven't run into any save issues at all. It seems like all of my 3 flashcarts possess auto-detection of their save size.

Homebrew doesn't seem to have any issues either, everything seems to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE