Is it possible to have a xci file sitting on computer corrupted

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by mickthestud, Jan 27, 2019.

1. mickthestud
    OP

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    long story short I have diablo 3 xci sitting in my computer which I’ve used many times now all of a sudden it says corrupt when trying to play the thing is if I delete xci from sd and transfer again from pc to sd it keeps still saying corrupt which makes me think I need to delete xci a redownload

2. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2015
    you could end up with corrupted file if your hard drive failing

3. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Or it could also be your sd card failing. If it only happens on diablo then try redownload the game.

4. mickthestud
    OP

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    I doubt it brand new computer and brand new sd card samsung evo 250 gb

5. tooknie

tooknie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2006
    Did you buy it from a reputable source? Was it a 'too good to be true' bargain?

6. mickthestud
    OP

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    Bought it from jb hifi in Australia

7. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    If your card is formatted as exfat it's probably become corrupted. Format it to Fat32 with 32k cluster size. You'll have to split your larger than 4gb XCI files or install NSP over lan or from USB for your games. If you're already on fat32 then your sd card or hard drive may be failing or it could be a virus or maybe just the file has become corrupt for some other reason.

8. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Well, if your xci is a scene release, you could just check the CRC32 of your file against what nswdb lists. The site is down right now, though.

PyroGoat likes this.
  9. mickthestud
    OP

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    I’m thinking I might bite the bullet and give fat32 a go. I do know you need to split larger than 4 gb up can you recommend a good program that would do this for me and do you place all split xci files in the root of sd card or can you create sub folders aswell it seems extremely messy if you were to do this to your entire game Library thanks

10. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    It's most likely bitrot or clone degradation.

I've been using hashing and checksums for years now to protect against this.

I'd say 1 in 10 file transfers ends up in a mutated file. Using software like fastcopy or teracopy or robocopy, you can see for yourself with the checksums.

We are being bombarded at all times by particles that wreak havoc. Unless you actively protect against this, nothing is safe.

Bad memory will also cause bad data. I also recommend checking your ram. You can download a little iso file and boot it, or windows now has a built in memory check tool. Most Linux live disks have memory checker option at boot.

MD5: 54b3281e98f635f67f585a25ab884158

11. juijui68

juijui68 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    You can try another sd card reader, it happen to me that one of my USB 3.0 kept transferring corrupted .xci and I thought I had a bad .xci so I kept downloading from another source but had the same issue. But, multiple tries will get once right. After I changed another sd card reader it solved this issue, no more corrupted .xci. I also thought my sd card was corrupted but after all it's the sd card reader issue... Hope it helps.

12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Did it work and then one day stop working, or did it work & you deleted the file and then transferred it again?

It would be a huge coincidence if the file on your sd card became corrupt at the same time as the file on your pc.

If the sd card is corrupt then deleting files is just as unreliable as copying files on. You should probably reformat it.

If you're only using xci then the risk of exfat corruption on switch is pretty remote, it seems to mostly be running retroarch that causes problems.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted