Question Is it possible to have a tool to modify/create NAND Dumps and restore?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by John_Drek, May 19, 2018.

1. John_Drek
    OP

John_Drek Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    Don't know who else to ask. Could be a useless thread, sorry if it is. Is it possible to create a tool that could modify/create a NAND dump and restore it to the Switch? Like what they did with the wii, you were able to create your own nand dump and restore it? Or are we unable to create it because of efuses?

2. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I actually prefer being an artist more now.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    AFAIK there aren't any tools that do both methods. However, a certain Hekate mod has a built-in NAND backup creator.

Last edited by CatmanFan, May 19, 2018
    John_Drek likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think there's a PC tool that lets you restore backups.
    Not sure if any other tools let you do that yet but many tools let you create them.
    eFuses are only an issue if you're trying to downgrade.

4. mariogamer

mariogamer GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    Canada
    It is possible to restore a nand dump throught linux with dd (and by linux I mean either a pc + an emmc reader and writer (windows work too, but it'll be harder to find the actual drive, but idk, I'm not super techy with windows), or linux on the switch itself).

On a side-note, it'll be much harder to create a switch nand. It's almost impossible with all of this console-unique info. found in the fuse, keyblob, partitions, etc (except if you actually provide them?)

5. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    You had to do the same with the 3DS, hadn't you?

6. mariogamer

mariogamer GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    Canada
    I'm not following the 3DS scene that much since sometime. Don't even know if it is possible. But the 3ds wasn't as complex as the switch is.

Last edited by mariogamer, May 20, 2018