Hacking Is it possible to have 2 System Menus installed on a Wii?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to do this?

This would be 100% brick proof.

It would be considered a Dual Boot system.

If one system menu goes down, you could always use the other one.

We could be able to use the system menu thats attached to IOS249 to edit stuff without worrying about bricking.

I am just asking, I do not know the full understanding on how a Wii works and if this is even logically possible.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're just about to ask if BootMii is possible
tongue.gif

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually no. A dual boot at this time is not even remotely plausible. For such a thing to happen we would need bootmii and given the boot sequence there is no way of fully brick proofing a wii. If I recall correctly the portion that initiates the boot is stored in a memory sector that is not writeable.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BootMii hooks in at BOOT2, which at his turn boots the ios / sysmenu.
So Bootmii will add the choise of booting whatever you want (theaoretically everything).

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
It will not work as expected since both menus will share the common files sysconf, uid.sys and stuff... one will remain in a semi-brick state... what might happen after constant use god knows...

But I guess it's actually possible to have another system menu with different title id... what's special about 1-2 is boot2 knows that title id and loads that... since we have now preloader we can differentiate between 1-2, 1-3 and so on... but I can't see any legitimate use of that... I have both pal and ntsc wii and they are just the same s..t... why would I want two region of system menus in my wii dunno... and it's just a waste of nand space...

Having such a 2 menu setup you'll possible end up with both menus severely bricked... too much common stuff (wiiconnect, mailbox, config files and stuff..)

Even installing a healthy system menu may not work in that state...

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't have explained it better myself. Bassically Bootmii will be the closest thing to Ensuring a brick recovery that there is without having a complete nand dump and an infectous to reflash the nand of the system. Of course I've never really looked at the details as to what the story is with the chip so I'm not sure what level of recovery it can offer........

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I've heard in the cSM Thread from Forsaekn, that this is exactly what Dashboard will be able to do...wait..searching for a quote...FOUND:

QUOTE said:
[Currently Implemented]
- Dashboard (Recovery mechanism, multiboot system menu's, apply patches, etc)

Release date: This month..hurry up, Forsaekn, we need this
tongue.gif
(No, take your time...don't rush
smile.gif
)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
It's actually possible to have something similar to Preloader which replace the system menu main.dol by a basic title loader: that way you could install various system menu as different titles and load them upon startup ...

however:

1/ since the source code is not available you will need to disassemble the original system menu completely to know how to patch it and make it do what you want (which could be quite limited) ... OR code an application which looks like the system menu (quite possible to do but requires some more work and talented people, not usual scriptkiddies said "hacker")

2/ such dual-boot would never be 100% brick free: when your console is bricked (I mean full brick, with the NAND completely fucked off), you can't even start the system menu, so, no matter how many system menu variants you have, you are still screwed. A safe 100% brick free loader should happen BEFORE nand or file system verification. I assume that this is what BootMii is intended for (and Preloader/Csm obviously not)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands