Is it possible to hack an online function into VC games??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by iTHuNKie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. iTHuNKie
    OP

Newcomer iTHuNKie Member

United States
    Is it possible to hack an online function into a VC game like the SSB VC v3 game?? THANKS!

2. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    You cant just say no. There is a way, its just not discoevred yet. They did it with the pc version, didnt they?

4. iTHuNKie
    OP

Newcomer iTHuNKie Member

United States
    yeah thats kinda why i asked, but on the PC version wasn't it the emulator that enabled the online?

5. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    1. Yes we can. It's never happening. Ever.
    2. Your Wii is not a PC/PSP/XBox/DS/GBA/

6. blueoakleyz

Member blueoakleyz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's pretty silly and ignorant. It's definately possible. I mean even the homebrew channel accesses the internet on its own. It's only a matter of time.

7. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Folks, Nintendo makes the emulators that ship with the VC games so unless they added in some form of wireless/multi player mode to it. theres no way. This isn't homebrew were talking about.

8. iTHuNKie
    OP

Newcomer iTHuNKie Member

United States
    DR. Mario is online!!!! why cant SSB be online???? cant some coder extract the online part of the Dr. Mario and stick it in the SSB WAD?!?! then some Wii fanatic that has a server can host the games

9. Notorious9i6

Newcomer Notorious9i6 Advanced Member

United States
    DR. MARIO IS A WIIWARE GAME

10. iTHuNKie
    OP

Newcomer iTHuNKie Member

United States
    and it is a WAD just like SSB

11. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    *facepalm* If I were you, I'd stop talking so you won't make yourself look more dense than you already are.

12. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    why not just play brawl?

13. originalself

Newcomer originalself Member

United States
    I would expect an emulator to do it before nintendo ever does. The vc is an easy cash cow for them. They are not going to work hard for online multi.

14. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    To avoid bashing this guy any further, I'll just explain:

The online functionality in Dr. Mario is reworked, so that the entire game incorporates it.

The online functionality in an emulator only extends the controllers.

So, the only way you could add online capability to a game is if you and whoever you play against connect their controller ports to a computer and develop software to reiterate the commands online.

A homebrew emulator could eventually do it, with the Wii's WiFi.... but that's far off.

15. jayparadox

Member jayparadox GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Now this is one of the funniest things I've heared in a long long time xD

*I can play XBOX360 games on my Wii because they are ISO files, like the Wii disk images*

16. thchang

Member thchang GBAtemp Regular

United States
    stop making urself look more stupid

it's just like "hey CD and DVD is the same before the image file is all *.iso, so i must have a way to burn dvd image to blank CD"

lol

17. azzytee

Newcomer azzytee Newbie

So I started reading this knowing that there is no way online in VC games would ever happen. And then I got to teq's comment saying "The online functionality in an emulator only extends the controllers." and that made me realize it's possible.

Sure, you'd have to create an app that wraps around the VC emulator and intercepts calls from the emulator to the controller, and sends them over a network connection. And sure, nobody is ever going to do that, as it would be smarter to just add in online-functions to an emulator which already has open source, and to create and emulator that can make single-game channels to act just like the VC, but it just goes to show that in theory anything is possible [​IMG]

18. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Online for homebrew emulators is 5000% more likely.

19. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's possible, and has been done before. It's even easier to handle with Wii games, as you could do it all over Bluetooth.

The problem with this, however, is synchronization. You're essentially running a copy of the software for each console and pretending that everyone is playing on the same console up to 4 times. So, after you account for latency(not only in the network, but in the I/O interface and its software), you still have to factor in that you have to beat 30-60FPS.

Not only that, but you have to account for AI. Because AI can be random, such as in the case of sports games, you'll be running up to 4 unique versions of a single game. So, while you might have scored a touchdown on one console, AI could've tackled you on another. The emulators get around this by hooking the memory of the host computer to make sure it's identical to the clients. It's more work, but you get accurate results.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to how much work you're willing to do for somewhat lackluster results. SSB was fun playing over Kaillera back when Melee was out, but you can get a similar experience now with Brawl.

20. iTHuNKie
    OP

Newcomer iTHuNKie Member

United States