Homebrew Is it Possible to flash DS firmwire?

lobfredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old DS and a DS LITE
Is it possible to flash my old DS with same Firmware as the DS lite uses?
if so, Can i then adjust the screen light?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you have a DS Phat with v4 firmware, then you can use FlashMe to enable light adjustment on DS. If you have an earlier DS Phat, it will still not work. To check what firmware your DS has, go to PictoChat with a DS game inserted, enter room A and remove the game card. (Dont worry, its safe as the DS Card is not being accessed at the time). If you have v4, both screens will go "golden yellow". If PictoChat freezes, or both screens go either blue or dark green, you have an earlier firmware, and cannot get the ability to adjust the brightness.

lobfredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks
biggrin.gif

So, Why so with the v4 only? Is there hardware changes?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep, the hardware was changed around the time firmware v4 was introduced. DSes with v4 have some chip thats the same as the one in the DS, but the firmware stops it from having different brightness levels. FlashMe unlocks them though.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually v5 and above that can get brightness controls, not v4. I would know - my v4 still has the old hardware.

Otherwise SifJar is correct. At some point in the DS Lite's development, they started switching over the DS Phat to use some of the Lite's components, to save the trouble of having to manufacture two entirely separate product lines at the same time. They gave a new firmware version to DS Phats containing the Lite's screens, which we now know to be v5.

Note that battery life using the higher brightnesses will be horrible on the Phat, but it would still be nice to have it as an option nonetheless.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oops, my bad. I though Phat firmwares only went up to v4, and it was only Lites had v5, and I knew it was the last Phat firmware that had the new hardware. Sorry. BTW, for v5, the screens will go pink with the PictoChat test afaik.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlashMe gives you dark green screens by default. If you run the flashme.nds file itself (you don't have to press XBXB to continue so there's no risk), it will tell you the original firmware version your DS had prior to installing FlashMe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr