Is it possible to "erase" everything on facebook?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a huge problem... well, don't take it that serious.
What I mean, is more like a "personal" project, not the kind of personal thing that you don't want to get known.
Let me tell you:
So, I've created 3 fucking Facebook accounts, and two of them aren't used anymore.
- The first one: My very first one, created in 2010 I think. I had many friends in there, like, school friends and family memebers. The basic thing. I was getting trashed and back stabbed because I prefered to draw rather than watching TV or getting out to parties. Friends judging me for not going out, because I think it's a waste of time. And family filling me with post of false happines and attitudes that didn't matched their real life counterparts. So I became the kind of an asshole with everyone, just to point out how fake the site is, and how everyone presumes to be happy and all that fucking shit that people do.
So I was the douchebag type of person, in Facebook, whilst in real life I'd be completely different. The fact that people nowadays judge you more on what you post in Facebook rather than the actions and the way of thinking got me really anoyed. Specially the hipocrecy of my so called friends and my supposed family. Then I thought about creating a new account without my friends and without my family, as they were the ones that annoyed me the most. So I did, and declared in a post that I would delete the account in a certain time. Which no-one listened to.
So I deleted it.

- The second one: I decided to create this one without friends and family, and it was going to be a more serious account for proffesional purposes. I was advancing rapidly in my "career" as an artist, like, getting invitations to art galleries around the world, getting involved in videogame projects, collabs, etc. So I wanted to start acting more serious about my art. Eventually, my old "friends" found me, and sent me friend requests, so did my family. Got fucking annoyed, as I stated 5 months before that I was changing my account and if someone was interested in keep contact with me, that they send me a friend request to my new account... I accepted them again, not because I cared, but more because a matter of courtesy.
Of course, it has became annoying again, with all the shit that they send me to share with my friends.
Don't you hate getting the classic:
"This woman hasn't eaten, and was raped, and robbed, and shit. One like equals one prayer for her and her kids. If you don't share, God Father will fuck you in the ass"
or
"This child was rapted a few momments ago, please share so we can find the kid"
or
"#PrayForParis, #PrayForLondon, #ProudMonth"
To me this is annoying, why in the hell would I care about all this, whilst no one cared about me?
Besides... what change can you FUCKING POSSIBLY DO BY SHARING SHIT?
Moving on...

- The third one: Created a few momments ago. Without friends, nor family, nor people who knows me. This time I want to make it right.

BUT, I was wondering... if It's possible delete everything in the second account, this is getting ridiculously stupid.

Imagine my situation like this:
- You decide to build a house.
- Then your "friends" comes uninvited and piss all over your yard. Then they leave you alone.

This is how I feel right now, and that's why I was wondering If there's a way to un-do everything in facebook. Deleting everything, comments, photos, tags... EVERYTHING, so I don't have to have a third account (second, as the first one doesn't exist anymore)
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: kineticUk

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think you can deactivate your profile. It will stay invisible, nobody will be able to search for it and it's going to become unavailable, even if they have the link for your profile. Not sure if you can delete the account itself.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in short no, you can erase all you want from facebook but facebook archives everything and when you "delete" things it just hides it from you and other people. I had heard that facebook servers run from thousands of custom Blue ray disk servers which are a read only storage medium. Like a Non-rewritable dvd or cd blu ray disk are the same unable to delete

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
in short no, you can erase all you want from facebook but facebook archives everything and when you "delete" things it just hides it from you and other people. I had heard that facebook servers run from thousands of custom Blue ray disk servers which are a read only storage medium. Like a Non-rewritable dvd or cd blu ray disk are the same unable to delete

No their not.
Conventional harddrives are used for long time storage, SSDs are used for quick access.
BD disc backup takes to long + isn't reliable.

Facebook keeps your data for 30 days before permanently deleting it.
After that, it's lost forever.
Except mentions, quoted posts, screenshots by others etc.

In short, don't take facebook.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think you can deactivate your profile. It will stay invisible, nobody will be able to search for it and it's going to become unavailable, even if they have the link for your profile. Not sure if you can delete the account itself.
That means that, If I deactivate the account, no one will be able to see it? You mean my second account or my third one?

I think I first deactivated my first one, before going completely oblivion, as Facebook told me something like: "The account will be deleted in 30 days. If you start your session again, it'll became available again" (or something along those lines)
And now that I remember, looking for my first account (using the second one, entering my mail in the search box) didn't showed my first account as you mentioned.
But that's not what I'm looking for.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do need facebook, as it is a way to meet clients for my work. The only thing I don't need is cheesy friends and cringy comments on my profile :mellow:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

in short no, you can erase all you want from facebook but facebook archives everything and when you "delete" things it just hides it from you and other people.

So that means that havind my third one is the best idea then... I'll be more careful on who I accept from now on.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I do need facebook, as it is a way to meet clients for my work. The only thing I don't need is cheesy friends and cringy comments on my profile :mellow:

Then set up a business profile and ignore the comments?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No their not.
Conventional harddrives are used for long time storage, SSDs are used for quick access.
BD disc backup takes to long + isn't reliable.

the last i checked the blu ray servers were in testing phase a long time ago, by now its more then likely in use.
Edit: they are using them now as of 2016

Last edited by xdarkmario,

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That was the whole idea of creating the second one.
Honestly, its not completely their fault. Is also mine's. The account got a bit awkward. A strange place to be in. It's uncomfortable for me trying to be serious when people still trashes mei
Imagine you being a client of mine, then coming to my profile and the first thing you see is a comment on how I didn't shared the proud month thing.
Ugh.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
*remove access to that data
i pretty much believe they just move into a "vault" and keep records of everything...

anyway OP, you can desactivate an account, the profile and everything won't be accessible, after 30 days (or 45 don't remember the exact number) it's concidered permanently delected, during theese 30 days you get a change to get your account back if you decide your mind
I am not sure what happens to that stuff you made in other people's profiles (for example the comments you made into other people spictures) i do think they also get deleted...

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a huge problem... well, don't take it that serious.
What I mean, is more like a "personal" project, not the kind of personal thing that you don't want to get known.
Let me tell you:
So, I've created 3 fucking Facebook accounts, and two of them aren't used anymore.
- The first one: My very first one, created in 2010 I think. I had many friends in there, like, school friends and family memebers. The basic thing. I was getting trashed and back stabbed because I prefered to draw rather than watching TV or getting out to parties. Friends judging me for not going out, because I think it's a waste of time. And family filling me with post of false happines and attitudes that didn't matched their real life counterparts. So I became the kind of an asshole with everyone, just to point out how fake the site is, and how everyone presumes to be happy and all that fucking shit that people do.
So I was the douchebag type of person, in Facebook, whilst in real life I'd be completely different. The fact that people nowadays judge you more on what you post in Facebook rather than the actions and the way of thinking got me really anoyed. Specially the hipocrecy of my so called friends and my supposed family. Then I thought about creating a new account without my friends and without my family, as they were the ones that annoyed me the most. So I did, and declared in a post that I would delete the account in a certain time. Which no-one listened to.
So I deleted it.

- The second one: I decided to create this one without friends and family, and it was going to be a more serious account for proffesional purposes. I was advancing rapidly in my "career" as an artist, like, getting invitations to art galleries around the world, getting involved in videogame projects, collabs, etc. So I wanted to start acting more serious about my art. Eventually, my old "friends" found me, and sent me friend requests, so did my family. Got fucking annoyed, as I stated 5 months before that I was changing my account and if someone was interested in keep contact with me, that they send me a friend request to my new account... I accepted them again, not because I cared, but more because a matter of courtesy.
Of course, it has became annoying again, with all the shit that they send me to share with my friends.
Don't you hate getting the classic:
"This woman hasn't eaten, and was raped, and robbed, and shit. One like equals one prayer for her and her kids. If you don't share, God Father will fuck you in the ass"
or
"This child was rapted a few momments ago, please share so we can find the kid"
or
"#PrayForParis, #PrayForLondon, #ProudMonth"
To me this is annoying, why in the hell would I care about all this, whilst no one cared about me?
Besides... what change can you FUCKING POSSIBLY DO BY SHARING SHIT?
Moving on...

- The third one: Created a few momments ago. Without friends, nor family, nor people who knows me. This time I want to make it right.

BUT, I was wondering... if It's possible delete everything in the second account, this is getting ridiculously stupid.

Imagine my situation like this:
- You decide to build a house.
- Then your "friends" comes uninvited and piss all over your yard. Then they leave you alone.

This is how I feel right now, and that's why I was wondering If there's a way to un-do everything in facebook. Deleting everything, comments, photos, tags... EVERYTHING, so I don't have to have a third account (second, as the first one doesn't exist anymore)
Thanks in advance.

Make sure you delete your pictures and your avatar and change your name and put fake information such as birth date, address and everything must be fake before you deactivated it. If you have too many pictures and video. Just delete avatar so someone wouldn't use your ICON picture. Then make a complication password and deactivated it.

D

Deleted User

You can go through it all one by one, although you can probably find an plugin or greasemonkey to automate the process.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That seems very unlikely, going one post by one will be very time consuming, specially because its been 4+ years of shit posting.
And downloading or using third party software, just to erase this isn't that safe for me.
So I decided to let this one pass me (yet again) and completely ignore everything on it, as having a third account for my personal purpose seemed easier to do and I will keep it that way.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Why don't you use the Facebook privacy features and deny people from posting on your wall?

You can also unfollow people you wish to remain friends with, but not see anything posted by them in your newsfeed. I must be honest i've probably unfollowed about 75% I have on Facebook as all they do is simply post spam.

Something else to think about is just blocking people you don't wish to be able to find / add you again. A more extreme option is you could also make it so people can't send you a friend request, only you can send requests to people.

LinkedIn is a social network for business professionals, Facebook not so much. If your a business on Facebook you'd usually have a page to inform clients of news and so on.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, the famous Facebook pages.
I didn't want to use them, I'd really much prefer to make (code) my own page/site, or at least use the XARA engine to make my site.
Honestly, Facebook has helped me to meet important clients, and obviously, it's a used by hundreds of millions of people, so having that possible public aside isn't a good idea. Specially when trying to be visible for many people at once.
My mistake was not using those features that Facebook grants for privacy.
Of course, I'm very careful to avoid mixing my personal life with my career/business.
But when my family and friends started posting their shit, I've noticed that some (MOST) of my possible clients stopped noticing my artwork.
I tried to ignore the comments, but I thought that would make me look like a douchebag, so with that in mind, I replied to them, joked with them, and my account started to be less and less serious, eventually converting it into an awkward place to be.
Specially when you're posting in English, but everyone else posts in Spanish. There's no consistency, and it looks kind of awkward (unfinished artwork, family asking me to teach them to draw, or to paint, or English because they didn't undertood my posts) '-_-
I tried to avoid writing in Spanish, as it is my maternal language, but comments of friends and family kept coming, and ugh, I hate not being consistent.
So, I will take that experience as a warning with this one, and I'll try not to accept just anyone, seriously, some friends (Muslims) (NOT JOKING) posted and tagged me with pictures of them holding guns and AK's.
Not fucking around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s