Is it possible to downgrade PSP 2.71 or....

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Gifted1, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Gifted1
    OP

Gifted1 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I just got a PSP and the firmware is 2.71. Woulw I be able to downgrade it? I would like to be able to run homebrews on it AS WELL as play backups on it. From what I understand they best firmware to run backups and homebrews on is 1.5/1.6. Is there a way to do this? If not, what is the best way that I can go about running backups on it? Thanks in advance.

2. GBAer

GBAer GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2002
    My House
    You cant downgrade a 2.71.

3. tama_mog

tama_mog Kupo

May 6, 2006
    United States
    technically you can. You need someone to install a Undiluted Platinum modchip onto the thing to flash the onboard NAND assuming your psp isn't a Ta-082 and then uninstall the modchip and tada, 1.5. But no there are no softwares to downgrade 2.71 as of now.

4. CatScam

CatScam ScamaRama!

Apr 29, 2006
    United States
    That’s interesting, you don’t have to leave the modchip in the PSP?
    So you could have a group of people go in on a modchip & down
    grade all the units with that one modchip. That could be cost effective.

5. tama_mog

tama_mog Kupo

May 6, 2006
    United States
    assuming you're well versed in installing the modchip, yes I suppose so. Although possible I don't see why one wouldn't leave it in afterwards because it's not an easy job to install the modchip and it's always a safe bet to have it incase you brick the original onboard firmware.

6. sub7ime

sub7ime Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Well, now you can. They released a 2.71 downgrader, but it won't work on a TA-082 PSP.

7. tama_mog

tama_mog Kupo

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Yep, same deal as the 2.5/2.6 downgrader using the new tifflib exploit:

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-71-PSP-s-say-Go...pg/49/aid/63896

Now it's time to hear people with ta-082 boards and people who upgraded to 2.8 cry for the next period of time till another downgrader comes out for these guys....it's a vicious cycle.

8. outphase

outphase Custom title

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
  9. lenselijer

lenselijer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 27, 2006
    Netherlands
    well im gonna call my friends tomorrow, i really do hope they havent upgraded to 2.80 yet [​IMG]

10. ShadowXP

ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 20, 2002
    Just downgraded my 2.71 to 1.50. Expect a full guide and review etc. from me tomorrow. [​IMG]

11. tama_mog

tama_mog Kupo

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It's pretty hillarious to see that thread outphase posted....look @ the people posting the exact questions from when the first 2.5/2.6 downgrader came out....same questions, same comments.....it's like deja vu. All this because people refuse to read.

12. tama_mog

tama_mog Kupo

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I'd make a suggestion as a "just to be safe" kind of advice, you might want to update to 2.0 real quick and downgrade to 1.5 using the mph downgrader (takes maybe 2 minutes) to ensure you have a clean 1.5 psp. Dark Alex's downgrader is a great feat no doubt but sometimes it runs into abnormalities with some homebrew and custom firmware mods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice