Is it possible to downgrade from 9.7 on o3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kionea, May 22, 2015.

1. Kionea
    OP

Kionea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2014
    United States
    Not expecting a positive answer, but is it in any way possible? I'm not afraid to open it and mess around if I have to. Got a new one and migrated so this one is pretty much useless.

And if I can't, is there anything else cool I can do with it?

2. MeisterFenster

MeisterFenster GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yes if you have a nand backup. No if not.

3. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    mmmm if your not interested in picking up a sky cart then a 9.7 O3DS makes a great paperweight, that's about it right now

4. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
  5. Kionea
    OP

Kionea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2014
    United States
    S'what I thought. What could I do with Sky on 9.7? To my understanding >9.2 is where all the funs at andany higher is pretty limited.

Thats what I was thinking, and I don't know anything about the 3ds, but it would make sense that I can't do it without a nand backup to revert to.

6. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I don't know anything about the 3DS either, tbh.
    Maybe if you got a NAND backup from someone else and then unencrypted it, and then encrypted it to work with your 3DS, if that's even how the encryption on NAND dumps works.

7. Kionea
    OP

Kionea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2014
    United States
    From what I understand, every nand image is unique. Works on a console by console basis so one consoles nand image won't work on another. As for the encryption...I don't know much about encryption in general much less 3ds encryption, but I am pretty sure that isn't how it works.

8. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah, I kinda thought maybe it'd be somewhat like that.

9. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    if YOU made a nand backup of YOUR system at 9.2 the hardmod will restore it. Otherwise there's nothing you can do with a hardmod

10. Kionea
    OP

Kionea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2014
    United States
    That's what I figured. If I may ask to those more knowledgeable than me, there's obviously some big hurdle to cross on OFW past 9.2. What exactly is it? What was changed? I know that the current "hacking" method is a kind of exploit and not actually a hack per se, so is it just that it got patched and there was really nothing there to begin with?

11. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If we had the ability to break Nintendo's encryption and to encrypt things with their keys, we would have the ability to do a LOT more than we currently can. We wouldn't have to mess with emuNands or exploits or anything else, we could just create bootloaders and install CFWs directly to sysNand and everything else.
    There was a bug that was fixed after 9.2. The current exploits rely on that bug to get inside the system. (I don't know the exact details of the 9.2 bug, though. I know the one in 4.x was in System Settings, in the part that handles the DS Profile.) Until another exploitable bug is found in the newer versions, we're stuck with 9.2 being the latest exploitable version. Unfortunately, finding the bugs is a combination of luck and skill, as well as being a race against time (as each time a new version is released, there's the question of whether to keep looking or to start over on the new version), so there's no telling when or even if one will be discovered.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  12. tony_2018
    This message by tony_2018 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, May 22, 2015, Reason: Useless.
    May 22, 2015
  13. Kionea
    OP

Kionea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2014
    United States
    Interesting. I assume cracking the encryption is near impossible unless the keys get leaked like with ps3?
    If that's the case, what are the chances that we could one day have freedom and support on the level of the wii?
    Seems like much tighter of a system than that was.