Is it possible to downgrade 5.xx to 4.05?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by EddieEddie90, Feb 5, 2018.

1. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada

I'm not going to get into a debate with you over how things are secured, but you are drawing incorrect conclusions and making incorrect assumptions simply because secured devices have many layers of protection and while you main gain access to a layer that say (to be simple), allows you to revert to a lower firmware, that access quite likely doesn't give you the control you need over the main system. It's really not that complicated to understand and there is a perfect, living and breathing example of that in the PS3.

We can now downgrade almost any console, but we still must downgrade the console in order to gain the access to run cfw and then re-upgrade the console to a higher firmware.

Different parts of a system have separate and unique layers of encryption unto themselves and that is relevant even moreso on the PS4 than on the PS3. Pwning on section does not necessarily give you the full access that you're assuming it does as they work independently of each other and are in separate sandboxes.

2. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I'm not going to go any further than to explain that there is a check within the devices boot loader that prevents one from reverting to an older firmware. Iirc it does so through the use of efuses. In short to defeat such a security would require a greater access to the system than is needed for piracy or homebrew so downgrading would not be necessary as you already have all you want/need. Hold on I'll look for the wiki page

3. rednekcowboy

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada
    Nevermind quoting me anything. I don't care to continue this discussion. It's clear that we won't agree on this even though there is a real world example that proves you absolutely wrong. We've derailed the thread enough. Any further discussion is, quite honestly, an adventure in idiocracy to be blunt.

Last edited by rednekcowboy, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Bernhard

Bernhard Psycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    Ok yeah it s difficult to explainnactually what i mean...
    look in this link by wololo
    http://wololo.net/2017/10/20/adieu-...rmware-4-06-fully-detailed-team-fail0verflow/
    thats the adieu writeup ... specter used to build the exploit of 4.05 :)

5. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Oh please link me to the example. Willing to bet you have absolutely nothing that will prove me wrong.

6. rednekcowboy

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada
    THE PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Also don't give me an example from the PS3 the Vita or anything other than a PS4 as it just doesn't apply....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Are you dumb? The PS3 is an entirely different device with entirely different security measures. Obviously you know not what the hell you're talking about. Enough said.

8. rednekcowboy

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada
    Yes, the ps3 is an entirely different system. The PS4 is even worse than the ps3 for segregating the internal systems.....in fact, even within the same sandboxes there is multiple layers of encryption. The bootloader is completely segregated from the kernel, and even the bootloader has multiple layers. Even if it was pwned, the bootloader doesn't give you kernel access solely on it's own.

You have a lot to learn bud.

9. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Please take this argument to your DMs.

rednekcowboy likes this.
  10. rednekcowboy

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada
    No worries, I'm done. No argument to be had here anyways. Was just trying to correct some misinformation. And just for clarity sakes, there is a hardware method to downgrade the ps4, though it's not publicly available.

Apologize for derailing the thread.

KiiWii likes this.
  11. mikey420
    This message by mikey420 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 11, 2018.
    Feb 11, 2018
  12. rednekcowboy
    This message by rednekcowboy has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 11, 2018.
    Feb 11, 2018
  13. jDSX

jDSX *is a furrE*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    New doink city
    Does the ps4 even have a NAND chip inside?

14. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    IDK if it's a NAND chip but the PS4 does have at least one 32mb flash memory chip. I believe simply for storing the OS "core" iirc like they did with later model PS3s Sony stores the critical or core parts of the OS on the flash chip and the rest is installed to the HDD. (This is also why the system software must be reinstalled when a new HDD is put in the device.)

15. lolcatzuru

lolcatzuru GBAtemp Fan

Apr 20, 2012
    United States
    karma's a bitch

16. Bernhard

Bernhard Psycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    ?

17. BadBoyXxX

BadBoyXxX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Also then are no possible to downgrade fron 5.05 to 4.05 or 4.54?

18. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Nope.

and its 4.05 and 4.55 that are the target FW's right now ;) not 4.54 :P

BadBoyXxX likes this.
  19. BadBoyXxX

BadBoyXxX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2016
    Gambia, The
    sorry was 4.55 thanks for the answer

Last edited by BadBoyXxX, Mar 1, 2018
  20. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    If it were real (which it IS NOT) it would be on the front page of every PS4 related forum.

21. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    Morocco
    Morocco
    We are getting a kernel exploit for 5.0x very soon
    My advice is to stay on 5.05
    I can’t say more
    Gonna get released when it’s gonna be patched

22. fisher6

fisher6 Member

Newcomer