ROM Hack Is it possible to decrypt retail pokemon XY saves?

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I ask this after doing some extensive research into trying to dump my retail save without powersaves and coming to the conclusion it isn't possible. Instead, i've extracted the save from my retail dump.
The save is encrypted, using the 6.x or 7.x keys because of higher firmware on the 3DS.
(Loading the rom and trying to use savedatafiler just shows an error)

I've found various postings like this: http://www.reddit.com/r/SVExchange/wiki/keysav
That should allow for extraction of pokemon, however, for me and my saves, it doesn't really work. (It only lets me see the first two boxes of exactly the same pokemon, so it's not very handy for me)
It does however spit out box related keys... that do something...

With current knowledge and keys, is there any way to decrypt the saves?
If I decrypt the entire rom via XORPADS is the save even included?
Anyone have any knowledge on this sort of thing?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I would not doubt that Kaphotics would have the ability to run SaveDataFiler in Classic Mode. (he did make all them Pokemon rom editor tools. So he's a experienced coder/devoloper) Either that or someone gave him a modified Launcher that allows him to use it.

I doubt he'll share it though and the rest of us common folk can't just "patch" Gateway to run it. Sorry dude, but it ain't that simple for the rest of us. :P

Reactions: ShinkoNet

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If none of the above is an option, but you know someone with a Gateway, or have a Gateway yourself, you could simply dump your ROM from the cartridge*, rename it to .3dz, put it on the red card, then go into Gateway mode. Once there, on the home screen, press select to load the Pokémon ROM up (but don't begin the actual game) from the multi-rom menu, and instead go into savedata filer and simply dump the "CTR Card" save. That will let you get at your decrypted save, but there's no getting it back into a retail cart this way without using the browser hack or some method I don't know about.

*If you've played this retail cart on a sysNAND higher than 6.x and you're trying to use a different 3DS with 4.x that can use Gateway, you're out of luck with what I wrote. The save encryption will be screwed up. The reverse also applies, I think. If you played it on 4.x but you're trying to get it extracted with a sysNAND newer than 6.x, then you're also boned.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If none of the above is an option, but you know someone with a Gateway, or have a Gateway yourself, you could simply dump your ROM from the cartridge*, rename it to .3dz, put it on the red card, then go into Gateway mode. Once there, on the home screen, press select to load the Pokémon ROM up (but don't begin the actual game) from the multi-rom menu, and instead go into savedata filer and simply dump the "CTR Card" save. That will let you get at your decrypted save, but there's no getting it back into a retail cart this way without using the browser hack or some method I don't know about.

*If you've played this retail cart on a sysNAND higher than 6.x and you're trying to use a different 3DS with 4.x that can use Gateway, you're out of luck with what I wrote. The save encryption will be screwed up. The reverse also applies, I think. If you played it on 4.x but you're trying to get it extracted with a sysNAND newer than 6.x, then you're also boned.
Thanks daxtsu, unfortunately I'm on 8.1.0, so new encryption. I tried it anyway and to no ones surprise, it doesn't work. CTR BROKEN error.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
no problems mate.
Trying to update my 3DS to 9.5 to try out lukas_2511 's idea.
Running into an issue where my SD card isn't seen by the 3DS anymore though. :\

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
beautiful. it's done.
Successfully dumped my Pokemon Y save from a retail cartridge.

Tried injecting the save into a 4.5.0 GW rom, but it's corrupt. One of two reason; 6.x key issue or a warning they have on their site "You cannot use this with SaveDataFiler right now [...] "
Either way, I now have all the data I want and could in theory just manually input and inject that into a new save.

Thanks to everyone for suggestion.
Special thanks to lukas_2511

NOTE: my SD issue seemed to be related to my NAND hardmod. Removed it temporarily and the 3DS works fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans