Hacking Is it possible to create a 'universal' backup to be injected 'as is' in replacement device?

MegaBoyEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can I do a proper "universal" image of my system, so I could completeley transfer it to another device? (In my country, the odds of being robbed are very high, so I'm afraid to lose my system at any moment, even leaving it in home when I'm out :X )

So far, pretty sure those 2 are essential:

- CTRTransfer image
- Full SD card backup

But I probably need to backup more files to be injected, like the 'movable.sed', 'tickets.db'.
So, what else is required to do a full universal backup?

Edit: I will perform a test using emuNAND to a friend's system later. I'm just gathering all information beforehand, to not do a dumb trial & error.

Last edited by MegaBoyEXE,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure you couldn't do this as each system image to unique to that console and only that console :/
Ctrnand backup is decrypted

@OP those should do it, but also a nand.bin backup and xorpads, just opening hg9 backs up some files to files9 as well afaik

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to inject a ctrnand from one system into another will result in a brick,that's what the OP wants to do.
No it won't. The ctrnands aren't console specific.

That being said OP you should just need the files that hg9 backs up [friendcode, moveable.sed etc] to switch system and use the Nintendo 3DS folder [which has the titles/saves] again.

Hopefully someeone will confirm that is the case.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Trying to inject a ctrnand from one system into another will result in a brick,that's what the OP wants to do.
Surely you know that this is false. How do you think we get to 2.1.0? Injecting a full NAND backup from another device will cause a brick.

No it won't. The ctrnands aren't console specific.

That being said OP you should just need the files that hg9 backs up [friendcode, moveable.sed etc] to switch system and use the Nintendo 3DS folder [which has the titles/saves] again.

Hopefully someeone will confirm that is the case.
I believe this will work, but they may need to back up all their tickets as well (just to be safe, at least).

Alternatively, back up your saves. If you lose your device, you can just install all your games via FreeShop, and then inject your saves back. There's no harm in having your saves (or at least your most valuable ones) backed up, at any rate.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

MegaBoyEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Makes sense, but I was expecting the new device to pass under 'plailect' surgery anyway and receive it's own a9lh, so CTRTransfer would be enough.
The main question is still this, what specific NAND files need to be dumped and injected back?

Think this as if I was performing a System Transfer, but instead of having 2 devices, a I have a new device (already a9lhaxed), and a bunch of files that can be injected to ANY device and bring back my system as it was on previous device. And the NNID thing is easily fixable by deleting NAND specific file and contaticting BigN to transfer NNID, no problems with that.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Makes sense, but I was expecting the new device to pass under 'plailect' surgery anyway and receive it's own a9lh, so CTRTransfer would be enough.
The main question is still this, what specific NAND files need to be dumped and injected back?
LocalFriendCodeSeed_B
movable.sed

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

MegaBoyEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Looking to plailect's guide, the troobleshooting to use 9.2.0 CTRTransfer, Section II, it asks to dump all your tickes to .tik files, and deletes everything that does not starts with '00'

Delete all .tik files in the /files9/ folder that do not start with “00-“
  • If none start with “00-“, then just delete all of them

Them, at section VI:

5. Select “Install and delete all tickets”

https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer

Edit: Maybe this should not matter, since the NAND image has all correct tickets in place already, in tickets.db.
This step should apply only when trasfering stuff to a different system image, which is not the case. I think this can be safely ignored.

Last edited by MegaBoyEXE,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Whoops, you're right. I was just looking at the files that Hourglass9 backs up automatically.
configsave is also console specific - its the 3d/screen calibation.

Thats why i only friendcode+moveable.sed [didn't have my system at hand to check for others] - _A might be useful of you want to ban the stolen system [use it as a _C in luma for a while if both systems are online I think they can both get banned] then revert to using stock _A on new system

Last edited by HyperT,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I do a proper "universal" image of my system, so I could completeley transfer it to another device? (In my country, the odds of being robbed are very high, so I'm afraid to lose my system at any moment, even leaving it in home when I'm out :X )

So far, pretty sure those 2 are essential:

- CTRTransfer image
- Full SD card backup

But I probably need to backup more files to be injected, like the 'movable.sed', 'tickets.db'.
So, what else is required to do a full universal backup?

Edit: I will perform a test using emuNAND to a friend's system later. I'm just gathering all information beforehand, to not do a dumb trial & error.
I did some research on this matter in the Decrypt9 thread that you can see here.

Reactions: MegaBoyEXE

MegaBoyEXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You need a nand backup, the xorpads of the nand and an SD backup. With xorpads, you can decrypt your nand and change the console specific stuff on pc. Then you can encrypt it and restore it to the new 3ds system.

You are actually right on what you are saying, but I'm talking about a CTRTransfer image, which is a feature from Decrypt9 to create a decrypted NAND image, missing some unique files that are device unique.

I did some research on this matter in the Decrypt9 thread that you can see here.

Thank you very much for the detailed info on your research! This is a very solid help!
I will test myself too and try to figure out about the Mii stuff.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I highly suggest you install 3dsafe too while your there, so if it does get stolen at least they don't get to use the console (without trying to bruteforce up to a 10 button sequence :P)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsafe-in-nand-pin-lock-for-3ds.440832/

You also get to put a "if found please contact me on xxxxxxxx" screen, so if it does end up with someone a bit more honest you at least have a tiny slim chance of having it returned

But here is a guide on what it is you want to do, although that guide is very out dated, and most of the initial steps can be done via decrypt9 at this point
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/

But also remember you will need to backup your saves etc regularly, it no good having your movable.sed etc and no saves to decrypt with it XD

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm