Is it possible to create a DS emulator for the Homebrew Launcher?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by SUPR64, Sep 22, 2015.

1. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    Please don't tell me about your flash carts. I don't want those things. The 3DS runs DS games natively, so...in theory, wouldn't you just need to find a way to launch DS ROMs?

2. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    no

CheatFreak47 and 730 like this.
  3. Zephiroph

Zephiroph Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    The 3DS doesn't run DS games 'natively' though...the DS still runs it's games...that's why you can't access the functions of the 3DS while it's running..

Your best bet is a flash cart...Why don't you want 'those things'?

4. kontrolaltdelete

kontrolaltdelete Task Manager

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    This question has been asked so many times it's starting to become tedious even answering no. If you took as much time to search the forum as you did typing this thread, you would have seen the endless, ungodly amount of times this question has been asked and answered (in detail).

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-emulator.391406/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-nds-emulator.394140/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-ds-emulator.394241/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-emulator-for-3ds.394356/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-ds-emulator.397346/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-ther...-homebrew-launcher.397846/page-2#post-5682717

Last edited by kontrolaltdelete, Sep 22, 2015
  5. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    In theory that's all you need to do, but in practice that's pretty huge undertaking. From what I can tell it's technically possible, DS flashcarts are so cheap and easily available that you going to be hardpressed to find a dev who wants to try to do this. Even if someone did make it it would be useless to anyone on a firmware above 9.2. I don't think we will anything like this until the 3ds' end of life.

6. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Beggars can't be choosers. At the moment, you either have the option of buying a DS mode flashcart or not playing DS games for free on your 3DS at all.
    Right now there is no DS emulator available, nor is one being publicly worked on. This may change in the future but don't hold your breath.

Last edited by ric., Sep 22, 2015
  7. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Another one of these threads?

Please read the forum before posting: http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-a-ds-emulator-compatible-with-3ds-homebrew-launcher.397846/

You're using the word 'emulator' incorrectly. To emulate something in terms of computing means to mimic or imitate another program or device. The 3DS does not need to emulate DS hardware as it can run DS games natively. You can't side load DS roms using the Homebrew Launcher, but you can side load using DS flashcards. The Homebrew Launcher is strictly for homebrews as Smealum as stated. He rather not let people use it for piracy (when it comes to newer games) as that will certainly mean the end of any sort of homebrews.

Like what others have said, DS flashcards for the 3DS is so cheap it's probably better to buy one of those rather than wait for a solution when it comes to the Homebrew launcher.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  8. CrystalForce
    This message by CrystalForce has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Sep 22, 2015, Reason: Nice meme!.
    Sep 22, 2015
  9. DarkRioru

DarkRioru Dream Beeeeeaaaammmm!!!

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    looking up at the stars
    wouldn't that be the same for the gba/snes/etc. emulators???? its too late....

10. NuikopeaDemon

NuikopeaDemon Hello Darkness

Sep 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hastings
    Dammmmm this question gets asked alot lol but sadly no is the answer

HaloEffect17 and DarkRioru like this.
  11. Zephiroph

Zephiroph Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    I don't think Nintendo cares about emulation as much as they care about their 40 quid games being swiped for nowt.

I mean they care...obviously...not enough to release SNES games on the 3DS though...which would make them a lot of money and make lots of people not go towards the 'dark side', they seem to believe that home console games should stay on home consoles and portable games should stay on portables...if you ignore the NES/MS releases that's the case anyway.

So why no GBA VC releases?

Nintendo, sometimes I think you want to die.

Anyone who wants to pirate new Nintendo games wants the same...and you'd be killing the whole of gaming as we know it...think on.

Last edited by Zephiroph, Sep 22, 2015
  12. DarkRioru

DarkRioru Dream Beeeeeaaaammmm!!!

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    looking up at the stars
    ds games are not sold at my gamestop anymore and are not mainstream...

13. Zephiroph

Zephiroph Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    And why not?

Cause it got pirated into oblivion.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I've had a flash cart for my DS since the system got superseded by the 3DS...but I've also got about 100 bought games.

I know lots of people that literally bought no games for their DS.

I'd hate to see the same happen to the 3DS....the 'homebrew only' stance that the creator of this exploit has taken is the right one imo.

marc00077 likes this.
  14. syfyTy

syfyTy PhD in Thaumaturgy

Apr 11, 2011
    United States
    Tazmily, USA
    I agree with Zephiroph, I too bought a F card early on but still bought games at full price AND used (and still buying them). Although I don't believe there's anyone who can accurately state (categorically) exactly what effect the Flash cards had on the DS, besides the obvious lost sales... but who's to say how many would have sold as they released them one back to back against each other, not like these days... I played many games I would never have bought, I now buy many (titles) I didn't before because of it...

Now I [still] scour the pawn shops for the rare ones ie Settlers of Catan, The Guild, Backgammon (Ger) etc... I believe many are holding large stocks as I am and as many did with the GBA games afterwards. Try finding some of those older GBA games today... I've never paid more than $5. USD at pawn shops though...

Although I personally never met another person (real time real life) using one of the flash cards (live) I've seen enough online to know that they had a profound effect on the sales.

I agree too with the Homebrew only. It's amazing how many people hear that word [homebrew] and automatically think it first and foremost means piracy. oh and BTW I DO have GBA games on my 3ds, without any hacks, of any kind, 20+ to be closely accurate; Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Yoshi, Mario VS DK, Wario Land/& Ware, Metroid, etc..
    How?

Ambassador Babbbbyyyy ;)

Sorry for being so far off topic.... peace out.

15. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    1. Impossible because in order to push the system into DS mode, you need Kernel Access.
    2. Impossible because in order to save DS games, you would need a cart to save the data to.
    3. Impossible because presumably the system doesn't store the whole game in ram and you would need to re-write part of the system's DS mode to read from somewhere other then the DS card slot.

on the subject of Flash cards, I approve of them wholely. The "profound" effect on DS was far outweighed by the DS's astounding sales. Most pirates won't even buy the games they pirate anyway. There's no potential for loss when nobody was going to buy something anyway, pro piracy agreement, followed by counter point against piracy yada yada yada yada

Someone REALLY should change the header in this section to add that DS Emulation and running DS/3DS roms is not possible through TubeHax/IronHax/OoTHax, etc.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, Sep 22, 2015
  16. EarlAB

EarlAB hon hon titty croissants

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    I wonder how DS flashcarts would be cheap when the lowest I've ever seen is $70...

17. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=135
    Not that expensive. That's the top of the line one, unless you're speaking of 3DS flashcarts which are more expensive.

18. ringo1206

ringo1206 Banned

Banned
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    I'm sure it's possible on kexploit systems, but I'm pretty sure you would need kernel access to access TWL_FIRM...

19. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    If it's possible? Definitely. But running reaaaaallllyyyy slow at unplayable speeds and with graphical and gameplay issues galore. :P

20. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
  21. ZenPowerBuilder

ZenPowerBuilder Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2015
    United States
    In front of my PC
    We all want to see it eventually. The 3DS homebrew community is just too early on to start emulation on something like that. I mean GBA is still pretty sketchy.