Is it possible to copy a save from a physical game and use it for a digital one?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Jazza2310, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jazza2310
    OP

Jazza2310 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2017
    I want to remove the outlines from Pokemon Moon, but I don't want to change the cartridge. Is it at all possible for me to use the saves on my physical copy on a digital copy? Sorry for noobish question/thread.

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    There is an app in the eShop that does that.

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Extract the save from physical with JKSM then import to digital

Lacius, Bubsy Bobcat and Zidapi like this.
  4. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    noun; a particular place or position.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you can't permanently modify cart data; you can only soft-patch the outline removal mod through CFW/Hans.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2, Jan 14, 2017
    Jazza2310 and Zidapi like this.
  5. CaptainKyle

CaptainKyle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Use JKSM to export save then import it into the Digital Game

6. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Yes, it is possible.

Use JK

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well this option also exist, and least it was mentioned, glad someone didn't forget. Seem like everyone else here just try to avoid eshop at all cost when they suddenly get a9lh systems. :blink:

I'll add more options, Besides JKSM.

The fbi installer can also export and import save data. Also another app called SVDT does the same, but i guess not many people use it as much as JKSM, i never used it since i always use fbi installer. So there some options. :)

8. proflayton123

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Personally I'd advise not using SVDT as it's quite unstable and old, JKSM is most ideal to refer.

GilgameshArcher and Pandaxclone2 like this.
  9. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    You can't "change the cartridge", there's a reason it's called a ROM.

Read Only Memory

Last edited by Zidapi, Jan 14, 2017
  10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    My point was just to give options. I dunno how bad SVDT has been compared to fbi or JKSM, i only use FBI installer. Since we use it anyway for installing cia files, it make sense to me cause you would have to install another cia just to manage saves, having homebrew installed as cia means less room for games to be installed, fbi also manage NDS save data, i don't remember JKSM having that function.

11. Jazza2310
    OP

Jazza2310 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2017
    Thanks for this, I knew the meaning of ROM but I did not know that it means you cannot change a cart.

Pandaxclone2 and Zidapi like this.
  12. DShunter

DShunter Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    ROM = Read Only Memory

Which means it can only be read not written or re-written. The reason why commercial software discs you purchase are called CD-ROM, the data can only be read from but not written to.

For the most part the ROM cart it's self can have a separate small section of flash memory installed into it to be written and re-written, this are usually only used for storing user configuration like option settings and save progress.

Pandaxclone2 and Jazza2310 like this.
  13. andremario81

andremario81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Chicago, Illinois
    Question. If I have the save file from a physical game can I pick up where I left off if I use it for the same game same region but as a CIA file? If so how do I do it?

14. proflayton123

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    In a sense yeah, although different region I'm not sure of, that could cause some problems, although you'd just extract save using JKSM from cart, back the save up you extracted then once you created save in the digital, inject/overwrite the digital save :)

As you said, the region part may cause it to corrupt so make sure you back it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    actually carts come with ExHeadr (the title) ExeFS (executable file system for saves) and RomFS (rom aka the game)

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Which are all stored on the rom chip (with the exception of card2 games that use a different type of chip that can set specific regions to read only and leave others as writable for storing the saves)

Ps exefs is just the executable section of the game (the code.bin) and the stuff read by the home menu before actually launching the game I.e icon, banner and menu music, the romfs is used to store all the game assets(in game crap)

Most carts (referred to as card1 games) have a separate spi save chip for storing saves

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 15, 2017
    Pandaxclone2 likes this.
  17. MarioMasta64

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    -snip-

Last edited by MarioMasta64, Jan 15, 2017
  18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    .....no it's the excitable code section....like a exe on a pc doesn't ever have to change itself, it's just means it's code to be run

And no as I mentioned card2 games (which is only about 8 titles which are mostly Pokémon) use a nand chip with specific regions locked to read only

Edit: ok now you edited this time :P

19. MarioMasta64

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    "you changed youre message well no complaints now"

shortened the thread .3.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

indeed. as theres no reason to confuse someone who stumbles the thread. also -follows-

20. moneychild

moneychild Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    There is a tread answering this somewhere in this site.
    You can find it by searching card 1 to card 2 i think or cart to CIA save. (I have not used it in a long while so I don't remember the tread name.)