Homebrew Is it possible to control my PC thru any wireless hotspot via DS2WIN?

diaoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to control my PC thru any wireless hotspot via DS2WIN?

Say my PC is connected on a different network from my DS....can I still control my computer from a different wireless hotspot?

Please give me instructions on how if possible.....

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible, but it would be so ridiculously slow it'd be pointless. The only way that comes to mind is setting up hamachi or a similar program to emulate it being on a lan. This of course would require a laptop and as such would defeat the purpose as you could just use remote connection...

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) Set up port 8888 (if thats the port your using) to be forwarded to the server PC. Consult portforward.com if you dont know how to do this. Or consult your routers manual.

2) Find out your computers IP address for the internet (not the 192.168.*.* one). Whatsmyip.org can show you it. Keep in mind that it can change.

3) Connect to a WiFI hotspot, and then in DS2Win type in your internet IP address.

4) Voila! slow and near unusable remote control. Too bad the DS internet speeds seem to be capped

diaoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
1) Set up port 8888 (if thats the port your using) to be forwarded to the server PC. Consult portforward.com if you dont know how to do this. Or consult your routers manual.

2) Find out your computers IP address for the internet (not the 192.168.*.* one). Whatsmyip.org can show you it. Keep in mind that it can change.

3) Connect to a WiFI hotspot, and then in DS2Win type in your internet IP address.

4) Voila! slow and near unusable remote control. Too bad the DS internet speeds seem to be capped

Hmmm....can u give me the exact link for the PortForward guide on how to do step 1? portforward.com is a pretty huge site...

And do you think the DSi will be able to improve DS2Win performance w/ its 4x improved RAM over DS lite?

And to Izzeho:

I'm actually trying to control my laptop w/ my ds. I want to leave my laptop at home and bring my ds w/ me when I go out and control the laptop w/ it. W/ hamachi.....this is really possible right?

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hamachi needs the Hamachi client, if i recall correctly. So Hamachi+DS = no go

And the thing is with port forwarding, its different for every router. If you can find out your router model for me (the one that ACTUALLY connects the internet), i can provide instructions. Should be on your router somewhere

And for the DSI, unless they up the WiFi speeds from the internet, its still gonna be the same. And rendering those images takes up a lot of CPU power, so again, unless the DSi has a better processor, performance won't be improved much

diaoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
And the thing is with port forwarding, its different for every router. If you can find out your router model for me (the one that ACTUALLY connects the internet), i can provide instructions. Should be on your router somewhere

Ah yeah....my router is a Linksys router. Its model number is WRT54GS

need any more info?

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alrighty, the guide here pretty much describes what you must do to set up a forward. Just find out YOUR IP address (start->run->cmd-> ipconfig /all and look for your LAN connection, usually just local area connection)

Once you have that, put it in for port 8888, same for the start and end and you should be good to go, once the server is up.

Anything else you need or cant understand just post
smile.gif

diaoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahhh....it's not my router....so that complicates things cause I don't have the username and password to access the router settings.

and like u said....even if I get all of this working....DS2Win will be too slow to use. Can u tell me why it would be so slow btw? ....assuming that both connections have good signal and are fast.

Do you know any good use for using DS2Win in near proximity to the PC it's connected to? :| The only things I could think of is using it as a cheap surveillance solution.....and of course surfing on Google Chrome/Mozilla Firefox. Besides that....I don't see much use for this : /

thanks for the help btw

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The default password was in that guide. But if thats not it, then brick wall/dead end i suppose.

DS WiFi communications seem pretty slow over the internet, not sure exactly what causes it. Im sure another member has the technical docs on it. Or Google. But on local, its around 64Kb/s, not too bad.

It heavily depends on your screen resolution as well, smaller = faster. mines so large, it just doesnt work
laugh.gif
. For local, theres no additional setup needed. Should just work like it was intended.

Ha ha, no problem

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes it is possible. But its ridiculously slow, i wouldn't bother. If you really wanna control a remote PC just use a laptop and VNC, its the best solution in my case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.