Homebrew Is it possible to connect Wii Remote to 3DS/2DS/N3DS?

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT:
READ THIS BEFORE REPLYING!
If you are going to reply just with "no" or "Just buy a second controller" then get out because "no" without any explanation why is just lazy (and it IS possible, just look at how someone connected a GameCube controller to 3DS without hardmodding it and without any wires), and buying a second controller doesn't appeal to me either because I've decided that it'd be interesting to connect any controller via WiFi and bluetooth. For now hardmodding console isn't an option here (it was done many times and it's uncomfortable and permament with risk of destroying the console or you need to pay a lot of money for it).

By the way, I don't want to force any developer to work on this project. Most likely I'll try to do something myself. And it's just an idea, a project, not something that developers must do.

I know that most of you will just type "No" because 3DS doesn't have bluetooth, but I've got an idea. I'd require a PC, hacked 3DS and a bluetooth and infrared adapter to work. My idea is that the Wii Remote would connect to the PC via Bluetooth adapter and then the inputs from the Wii Remote would be transferred through some software to the infrared adapter, which would transfer that data to some homebrew software on the 3DS, because 3DS has an infrared port. Is it possible?

EDIT:
From now on the infrared concept is digged. It should use WiFi because WiFi is faster and you don't need to buy an infrared adapter. And it's probably easier to code. I'm so dumb that I haven't thinked about WiFi before.

EDIT:
Actually we can use ANY controller that doesn't require wires to the 3DS with the technique that I've written above.

Last edited by szymon170,
Reactions: Lightyose

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess its possible, but you would have to develop something like that due to how specific this is to your setup and how little its needed really.

Last edited by TimX24968B,

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
First this. I have a feeling that the responses will be overwhelming
Screenshot_20160722_172011.png

Second, why would a dev or you would even consider doing this on a handheld.
You aldready
have all the buttons you could possibly need for any 3ds game.
Then, why would a dev waste his precious time on something so irrelevant and bizarre as this?
You do realize that WIIMOTE-PC-3DS would generate a massive amount of lag, right?
That to say that WIIMOTE-3DS would never be supported.
I'm curious what's your motivation behind this.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a good portion of this community posts stuff like this for two reasons (if they cant develop):
1. they cant use the search button
2. they think they are entitled to bossing devs around.

If you want something done, and done right, do it yourself.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess its possible, but you would have to develop something like that due to how specific this is to your setup and how little its needed really.
I can tell you why. Many people enjoy playing retro games on emulators like RetroArch, and if you could connect your Wii Remote to 3DS it'd allow to play some games in multiplayer with your friend in your home. And if the info would be stored on a really small file, maybe compressed somehow, then the lag wouldn't be that big. And I'm just curious.
And I don't want to tell devs what they should do, but maybe they could help me a little. At least tell me where should I start? How do you code homebrew for 3DS? How to write support for infrared on 3DS?

Last edited by szymon170,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you why. Many people enjoy playing retro games on emulators like RetroArch, and if you could connect your Wii Remote to 3DS it'd allow to play some games in multiplayer with your friend in your home. And if the info would be stored on a really small file, maybe compressed somehow, then the lag wouldn't be that big. And I'm just curious.
you dont have any other consoles? even a pc? some of these you could probably do with just a pc, unless its the high end retroach emulators

Davidosky99

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
First it would never work like that simply because either the 3ds is way to underpowered for multiplayer in emulators, the feature would be unsupported (and never would be supported because it's nuts).
Then it doesn't work like that because bt transmission to a receptor in the PC would already generate lag, then the interpreter-convertor and finally it would send(this hurts my brain just thinking). HOW WOULDN'T THIS GENERATE A MASSIVE AMMOUNT OF LAG?
Then, why not use the damn 3ds buttons in emulators instead of a controller you have to hold with both of your hands?
Is it THAT hard?
How would using a controller be better than using the owns console buttons?
And no, it's not the obligation of any dev, no dev will in any way pick up this ridiculous idea.
Really.
If you want it yourself , learn to code and do it YOURSELF

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you dont have any other consoles? even a pc? some of these you could probably do with just a pc, unless its the high end retroach emulators
I have, but Wiiremote and 3DS are more comfortable for retro games than a PC keyboard, and I don't have two Wii Remotes, nor 2 3DSes. And my friends don't have any 3DS console, because Nintendo isn't interested in Poland and almost noone in Poland knows that console like 3DS even exists.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have, but Wiiremote and 3DS are more comfortable for retro games than a PC keyboard, and I don't have two Wii Remotes, nor 2 3DSes. And my friends don't have any 3DS console, because Nintendo isn't interested in Poland and almost noone in Poland knows that console like 3DS even exists.
I would say just get another wii remote and hook them both up to a pc. they are not that expensive...

Davidosky99

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Buy another wiiremote/controller
Also, check my previous post.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would say just get another wii remote and hook them both up to a pc. they are not that expensive...
I know about this solution, but it's lazy. I've asked if the idea of mine would be possible. And if yes (even if it would lag, I am just curious) then how can I code it myself? I don't ask you to code for me, I'm just asking for some little tips about coding homebrew for 3DS (for example in which language should I code and how can I code the infrared support).

Davidosky99

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
I know about this solution, but it's lazy. I've asked if the idea of mine would be possible. And if yes (even if it would lag, I am just curious) then how can I code it myself? I don't ask you to code for me, I'm just asking for some little tips about coding homebrew for 3DS (for example in which language should I code and how can I code the infrared support).
Just buy another controller/wiimote .
This idea would take ages to become close to even a proof of concept.
It's not worth yours or anyone's hassle.
Really

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are plenty of links throughout the forums for this. and im sure buying a wii remote requires less effort than coding, debugging, and configuring an entire program from scratch. technically anything is possible, its if you have the effort to get it done.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
First it would never work like that simply because either the 3ds is way to underpowered for multiplayer in emulators, the feature would be unsupported (and never would be supported because it's nuts).
Then it doesn't work like that because bt transmission to a receptor in the PC would already generate lag, then the interpreter-convertor and finally it would send(this hurts my brain just thinking). HOW WOULDN'T THIS GENERATE A MASSIVE AMMOUNT OF LAG?
Then, why not use the damn 3ds buttons in emulators instead of a controller you have to hold with both of your hands?
Is it THAT hard?
How would using a controller be better than using the owns console buttons?
And no, it's not the obligation of any dev, no dev will in any way pick up this ridiculous idea.
Really.
If you want it yourself , learn to code and do it YOURSELF

By the way, my idea is that the pure data from the wiimote would be sent to the pc which wouldn't process it, it'd just transfer it via infrared to 3DS, and the 3DS would process it.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, my idea is that the pure data from the wiimote would be sent to the pc which wouldn't process it, it'd just transfer it via infrared to 3DS, and the 3DS would process it.
if you are asking if its possible, yes, given enough time and research. Is it worth the hassle? no.

end of story.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if you're asking which languages to code in, I think the scope of the project is not in your league. I'm predicting it would take you at minimum five years to put together something useful, and because you're going through infared there will be a latency of about one second for the infared part itself.

It will take an additional five to ten years to make the connection reliable (no dropping every second button action) and maybe fast enough to be useful, and by then the 3DS will be horribly obsolete.

The amount of time and effort you spend would be better suited buying a Windows 10 tablet and using it's built in bluetooth and an emulator.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By the way, I would use a New 3DS to avoid lags of Old 3DS. It should work. And maybe it won't be a .3dsx file but it will just run in backround like NTR Debugger does. And maybe the data shouldn't be transferred over infrared, but over WiFi?
OK, I'll start coding. I don't have anything to do for the next month of my holiday, so I can probably do it.
And for me it is worth the hassle, I'll learn something new (for example coding 3DS homebrew).

I haven't thinked about WiFi. I should probably use WiFi, because it'd be faster and less hard to code.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I would use a New 3DS to avoid lags of Old 3DS. It should work. And maybe it won't be a .3dsx file but it will just run in backround like NTR Debugger does. And maybe the data shouldn't be transferred over infrared, but over WiFi?
OK, I'll start coding. I don't have anything to do for the next month of my holiday, so I can probably do it.
And for me it is worth the hassle, I'll learn something new (for example coding 3DS homebrew).

I haven't thinked about WiFi. I should probably use WiFi, because it'd be faster and less hard to code.
good luck dude.

I think this is the end of this thread.

Last edited by TimX24968B,
Reactions: Davidosky99

Davidosky99

Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country

We told you to buy a controller.
We told you that what you're trying to imagine is and would be nuts hard to do if not impossible for you.
We told you it wouldn't even be viable.
We told you that no dev would be interested in making this and no dev is your slave.
Now I just wish you good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup