Hacking Is it possible to change R4 to R4i?

Kaosblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
se-design.iouri.net
XP
Country
I've got an R4 clone (R4-III SDHC) working fine on my DS lite and I'm buying a TT card soon. I was thinking to give the R4 to a friend but the problem is that they have an DSi.

Now I was wondering if instead of buying an "R4i" card could I just change my card to work with DSi? I don't know, maybe with a change of firmware or some sort?

Many thanks.

ps; I'm a noob and it's my first post. so go easy on me.
yaynds.gif

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
No.
Do not buy a TT card
Buy a DS2 or Acekard 2i
We will not go easy on you.
If this was possible it would be clearly obvious as they would be no DSi cards.

Kaosblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
se-design.iouri.net
XP
Country
I can't buy a DS2 or Acekard 2i because in the UK they are now illegal to buy, sell or import. (link) Or am I wrong?

I've found this TT card offer from another friend. Is there anything wrong with TT?

--

So, I can't use the R4 on the DSi. Ah well. I'l just keep it then. Thanks for the help.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have two choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
  • Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
  • Disadvantages: The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

Kaosblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
se-design.iouri.net
XP
Country
EJames2100 said:
Only R4 cartridges are banned as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_storage_devices
Press Ctrl and F and search Banned and it shows only R4.

Check this other thread out too:
http://gbatemp.net/t242883-breaking-news-r4-banned-in-uk?

Oh cool. I might buy one of these then.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 28 2010, 06:53 AM) You have two choices for carts that have proper support/updates.[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
  • Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
  • Disadvantages: The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

I'm going to go with the Acekard 2i as it's cheaper and better for my friend.
smile.gif

One more question: Is there any possibility to change the R4 firmware to a better one? I've heard about this wood thing and it looks kinda cool. If so, can someone link me to a tut that would work with my particular clone (R4-III SDHC)?
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime