Is it possible to backup DVDs to a NTFS or FAT32 HD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zeldafanzero, May 26, 2010.

1. Zeldafanzero
    OP

Newcomer Zeldafanzero Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks in advance!

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    What do you mean exactly?
    You need an app that dumps DVDs (as in Data DVDs) to a HD?

3. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    I need an app that puts a .iso of the game disk onto my external HD (to save me spending 4 hours doing it through my 1gb SD card) by ripping the disk in the Wii.

I'll later burn this onto a blank DVD and keep it as a backup.

Thanks.

4. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    First: FAT32 is possible. SuperDump would be recommended for you, together with cIOSrev19 (Base 38). And read the last Pages in the Topic. CFG-Loader would also work, but I would prefer SuperDump over it (it's been stated before that though CFG-Loader gives you a completely working Image, they aren't "true" 1:1 Dumps, if you check them at redump.org. Nothing bad, but if you can choose between perfect and completely fine, which one would you pick [​IMG]?). And don't forget that FAT32 can only store Files which are exactly 4 GB or less, so SuperDump will still create splitted Parts, and you'll have to put them together on the PC (really easy, and quick). CFG-Loader should write an WBFS-File, which you can also convert to an ISO, for example with Wimms WBFS-Tools.

Now, NTFS: It's possible, and has been done, but it's not recommended. It's currently to buggy, and might corrupt your drive. I think it was for some time in USBLoader GX (which itself is buggy) and probably taken out because of the bugs. So right now this isn't even an option, forget about this.

This is the answer to your question. You should know that SuperDump will include everything (Updates, Garbage-Date, etc.) resulting into a 4.7 GB Image, a true 1:1 Dump, and CFG-Loader can shrink many games drastically by removing the Update-Partition and the garbage-data. If you don't have many space, I would go with the shrinked dump. And I would store the games also on the HD and play them from there. You'll save much time, DVDs and hassle, belive me.

5. nikeymikey

Member nikeymikey Waiting for SALT to rescue the Wii U Scene!!

United Kingdom
    Configurable USB loader supports this, not for NTFS tho only FAT32. Just create a folder called wbfs on the root of your HDD and run the app. Insert your disk and push the + button to rip the game. Depending on the game it could take anything from a few mins to half an hour. It will be a scrubbed version of the game tho.

You will need to use a WBFS manager (they are available on these forums) to convert it to an ISO for burning.

Also why bother burning it? Just keep it on your HDD it the wbfs folder and play it straight from there!!!!

Much easier........

6. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Or perhaps a WODE if you don't want to softmod and are willing to spend the cash.

7. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, what IOSs will I need for these? At the moment I can run everything except cIOS202, which is awkward due to the fact that I don't have Internet at home.

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

8. heavyd2007

Newcomer heavyd2007 Member

Canada
    If all you're looking to do is burn a backup disc for safekeeping, you can use Wiihttpd to rip a dvd via your wifi network to any computer/drive. This method takes only a fraction of the time.

But really, why not just use CFG-Loader to rip discs to a WBFS formatted drive and load/play the games from there? Archiving a bunch of dvd's when you have a suitable external hard drive seems like a waste of time and money?

Good luck!

9. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have a lot of stuff on the HD and it's already formatted to NTFS. I can't make a WBFS partition or resize the NTFS as the disk has errors and it'll take ages for Partition Magic to correct them.

Also, I don't have wireless.