Is it possible to add extra pages to the system menu?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DownSince86, Jan 17, 2010.

1. DownSince86
    OP

Newcomer DownSince86 Advanced Member

United States
    I've recently started using crap to create forwarder channels for cfg loader so I can load games on my usb HDD directly from the system menu. Problem is now I'm running out of room..I think I have about 5 empty slots left.

I know it is possible to move these channels to the SD-card but I'd rather not go that route because I like the banner animations.

So my question is: Is it possible to patch the system menu and add extra pages to it? I'd like to have at least 10...but any more than the default four would be fine by me.

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    i think this would be awesome!! but it hasn't been done yet... i dont think it will ever be possible, but one of the REAL devs would know better than I

3. DownSince86
    OP

United States
    If anyone is up for attempting it I'd be more than willing to test it. I have bootmii as boot2 so I'm willing to test pretty much anything.

I agree it would be awesome. [​IMG] I'd also love to have a homebrew banner/channel for "A boy and his blob" as it is the only game I have to go through cfg loader to play at this point.

4. talicme

Newcomer talicme Member

United States
    I haven't tried myself, but maybe you can copy the channel to sd card like you do with wiiware and launch from there?

**Scratch that, forget I posted this**

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    yes u can do that

fyi, the usb forwarder channel a boy and his blob bricks you (unless u know something i dont, i wouldn't install this)

6. DownSince86
    OP

United States
    Yes I know about that, that's why I have not installed it. [​IMG]

What I want is a "homebrew" forwarder that would load the game from the system menu without causing a brick. From what I read about it the banner is the reason why it causes the brick, correct? I can live without the banner, I just want something that functions like all the other channels I have. I'm kinda surprised that no one has done this already.

7. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Make the Boy and His Blob channel with CRAP or loadstructor, then unpack it. Rename the 00000001.app to boot.dol. Then make a wad with CustomizeMii using that boot.dol. The channel will have whatever banner you design/copy in CustomizeMii, and should run A Boy and His Blob when launched.

If you want, you can just use the boot.dol like any other app from the HBC. Just run it to start the game.

8. DownSince86
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I will look in to that. I've never used CustomizeMii but I'm sure I won't have any trouble with it.

DeadlyFoez: Thanks, I will continue to look for it. Sounds like there is nothing useful in it but I'd still like to give it a read.

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Priiloader or preloader to boot into HBL is the closest you will get. Although HBL needs some fixes for everything to run smoothly.

As for doing this with the official menu, I heard from someone it's not all that hard but they would only be a dick and give ...Hints:

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    if hbc had options to access disc chan, wii the save menu/channel and allow you to install game chans to it that would pretty much be good enough.

OR

if someone can make a duplicate of the wii main menu except something like hbc that lets you autoboot to it. i doubt it can be done to the wiis menu BUT i reckon it CAn be done in a homebrew app.

11. seb77

Newcomer seb77 Advanced Member

Canada
    That was my thread... I suppose ;-)

Hacking the system menu to have more than 64 channels ?

Actually, I was wrong, the system menu have 48 -1(Disc channel) = 47 channels.

To accomplish this hack we need to R-E the system menu and hexedit some files / run it with IDA pro.

Lots of knowledge needed, too much for me now but maybe one day...

12. dmace81

Member dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I been wanting the same thing DownSince86. I hope someone will be able to make a custom banner at least for boy and his blob. I rarely play it cuz i don't have it on my wii menu. [​IMG]

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Are you sure this isn't 00000002.app ?

edit :
    Or maybe it depend the un/packer tool used ?

14. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's typically 00000001.app. Some of the first unpackers made screwed with the numbers but everything recent (wwPacker, BFGR wad tools, etc.) unpacks them as below.

In your typical homemade channel the files are as follows. Official channels (and probably some advanced hacks like some 0RANGECHiCKEN VC stuff), may not follow this convention.

* 00000000.app is the banner. (this is true even in official stuff - It's a small description file if the title has no banner (e.g. IOSes) )
    * 00000001.app is a DOL.
    * 00000002.app is the NAND loader.

There may be a trailer as well. The trailer is typically a copy of 00000000.app.

15. DownSince86
    OP

United States
    Why is that funny? [​IMG] I was just offering some help, AFAIK most people don't have a console with an exploitable boot1 these days

Anyway I ended up giving up on this all together. I just use cfg loader these days with iso forwarders for my VC and Wiiware games. Really wish we could figure out how to display banner animations in homebrew, that would be the shiz nit. ^^

I saw a thread awhile back where someone was trying to load multiple copies of the system menu and using two channels for "forward" and "back", don't know if that ever took off. Probably the best option out there for anyone trying to do this assuming they got anywhere with it.

Also, Uniiloader is pretty good for this as well assuming you can run it. I've only played with it a little but it was nice.

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I saw one where a guy was trying to write a PC program to swap "pages" around like that as well.

I'm pretty sure if there was some simple way to increase the limit people would have done it.

17. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States