Hacking Is it possible to add black bars to 4:3 Nintendont games a regular wii?

krueger96

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, i've used a wii u to play gamecube games for awhile, and i used it on 2 full hd tvs at my parents' house, nothing fancy but they have a 16:9 display like they should... Why do i mention this? well, because i have an old 16:10 tv in my apartment without any scaling option at all, meaning 4:3 images look stretched on it, so the wii u comes in handy cause nintendont adds black bars on 4:3 only games, so they look almost perfect even on my cheap 16:10 tv. The thing is, i'm leaving my wii u to my family because they enjoy playing some wii u games from time to time, plus Wii, gamecube etc. i'm not sure if i will, but i'm thinking of getting a wii to play wii and gc stuff, the problem is alot of gamecube games are 4:3 only. is there a way of setting the black bars on a wii? and yes i know I should just get a decent tv, but i can't right now so i was wondering if there is any way to do it. Thank you in advance

legoman77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, you're saying that once they have black bars, it looks fine (4:3) but you're also saying that 4:3 is stretched.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hi, i've used a wii u to play gamecube games for awhile, and i used it on 2 full hd tvs at my parents' house, nothing fancy but they have a 16:9 display like they should... Why do i mention this? well, because i have an old 16:10 tv in my apartment without any scaling option at all, meaning 4:3 images look stretched on it, so the wii u comes in handy cause nintendont adds black bars on 4:3 only games, so they look almost perfect even on my cheap 16:10 tv. The thing is, i'm leaving my wii u to my family because they enjoy playing some wii u games from time to time, plus Wii, gamecube etc. i'm not sure if i will, but i'm thinking of getting a wii to play wii and gc stuff, the problem is alot of gamecube games are 4:3 only. is there a way of setting the black bars on a wii? and yes i know I should just get a decent tv, but i can't right now so i was wondering if there is any way to do it. Thank you in advance
What TV doesn't have scaling options? I've never seen a widescreen TV that doesn't have a dedicated button on the remote that changes the scaling mode.
Anyway, it's an issue with your TV. The Wii only sends a 4:3 signal. When widescreen is enabled it crams the widescreen image into the same 4:3 signal and you have to set your TV to stretch it to 16:9. That means even if you could add black bars, it would cram the black bars into the 4:3 signal and you would lose a lot of resolution/detail.

krueger96

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, you're saying that once they have black bars, it looks fine (4:3) but you're also saying that 4:3 is stretched.

Oh yeah i remember this thread lmao, yeah basically i used to play nintendont games on wii u with black bars, but the tv itself was 16:10 so it still was slightly stretched

What TV doesn't have scaling options? I've never seen a widescreen TV that doesn't have a dedicated button on the remote that changes the scaling mode.
Anyway, it's an issue with your TV. The Wii only sends a 4:3 signal. When widescreen is enabled it crams the widescreen image into the same 4:3 signal and you have to set your TV to stretch it to 16:9. That means even if you could add black bars, it would cram the black bars into the 4:3 signal and you would lose a lot of resolution/detail.
I know right? I didn't even know there were tvs out there without scaling options before getting that one. And yes i did find out what i was asking for was not possible, luckily at some point i've got a normal widescreen monitor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte