Is it possible that DSOrganize damaged my card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by radorn, Apr 3, 2009.

Apr 3, 2009
  1. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    I have an acekard 2.1 and my first card was damaged so I had to return it.
    Now I have got a new card and suddenly it seems to show the same kind of damage than the previous card.

I'm starting to suspect it's DSOrganize's fault.
    With the previous card I'm not sure how was the timing, but I'd say the problems appeared shortly after I started to use DSOrganize, specially the file browser and maybe the wifi configuration menu.
    But with my current card it's been more obvious. I just used it for a few renames and deletions and problems started to appear.

The question is, is it really possible for DSOrganize to damage your microSD?

EDIT: I'm talking about PHYSICAL DAMAGE and not simple data corruption. Read my second post, please.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1872273

2. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    with every homebrew theres bound to be file corruptions and renaming

DSOrgainze just has a higher risk of that happening...
    if you read about previous problems of homebrew, you'll see that this problem can't be solved technically.
    The only way to fix it is to:
    1.) stop using DSOrganize so frequently
    2.) format your microSD card with Panasonic formating software (use search funtion on this website), then re-download DSOrganize.

those are the only ways i can think of for you

3. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes, it's very possible (in fact, DSOrganize has been responsible for corrupting cards in the past).

4. moodswinger

Member moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    This has happened to me before with my EDGE when I tried renaming a file with DSO but it didn't totally damage the card. A simple reformat of the card solved the problem on my part. You should try that.
    To answer your question, I think it is possible cause the last release of DSO had many bugs. =)

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    most DS homebrew is written in C, and it is quite easy to cause file corruption with carelessness in C.

6. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    I'm not talking about data corruption. I already knew about file system and data corruption derived from DSOrganize usage, I can live with it and know how to solve it (reformating and stuff, like you said).

What I'm talking about here is PHYSICAL DAMAGE, you know, corrupt sectors and all that.
    My card is now damaged, no reformatting is going to fix that.

7. a2h

Member a2h GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I strongly recommend against DSO due to this (EDIT: filesystem corruption only; reformat fixed the issue) and also the author's arrogant behaviour towards those seeking help.

8. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, physical damage.

9. moodswinger

Philippines
    You mean hardware damage. haha. Well, I haven't heard anyone having trouble with their flashcarts due to DSO so it's probably not DSO causing the damage to your card.

10. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    Well, it may not be the most common way to refer to it, but I don't know what's so funny about physical damage.
    Even if it consists of only a few microns of silicon being damaged (in opposition to the card being torn into pieces), it still is PHYSICAL, so...

11. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    DSO has corrupted more than a few of my microSD's - permanently (formatting does not fix the problem). I still love the program though...

Yes, it's possible for DSO to permanently corrupt the microSD. I'm not sure why you're saying that your first and current acekard exhibit damage though; it should just be the microSD.

12. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    I think I should stop using it. It had messed up a lot of my other homebrew such as the M3 Sakura or the MoonShell media player. It has always been because of the DS Organise if not, I am just guessing since when ever I format then use the music player, I will get an error. And a lot of my homebrew have been having issues loading. I am also using an AceKard 2.1 aswell...

13. OneMichael

Newcomer OneMichael Advanced Member

Canada
    Every once in a while, it'll rename some file or another to short FAT filenames. I've never had anything worse.
    Actually, I think it might be the flashcart you have. The only time I've ever gotten a corrupt card on my CycloDS was when I filled the card past its limit with DSMaps.

Which version of DSO are you using? If it's 3.2, that's buggy and bad. 3.1129 is better for your card.

14. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Yes, finally someone agrees with me. 3.1129 > 3.2

15. radorn
    OP

Newcomer radorn Member

Spain
    Yeah, I used 3.2, but once I get a new card I don't think I'll risk it again to try 3.1129. It's been two cards already...

I'm rather surprised a simple software can inflict such damage to a flash card so easily.

16. th3sandm4n

Member th3sandm4n I'm here for the knowledge!

United States
    Aww man, reading this post made me sad. DSO looked like a fun and useful application. But after reading about all these bugs and formatting,etc. I won't even bother with it.

I'm sure I can find another planner/todo program somewhere anyways

17. moodswinger

Philippines
    Did you try using other micro sd's?

18. funnymoney

Newcomer funnymoney Member

United States
    I don't think that physical damage is possible. Its like software damaging your computer's hardware. It will never happen. I think that its just the manufacturer of your card's fault, it could be a flimsy card. Maybe you should try a DSTT. I have one and its great.

19. Drueth

Newcomer Drueth Newbie

United Kingdom
    This is pretty much wrong in every respect. There are plenty of ways that software can damage hardware. Also the OP is talking about his microSD card, not his flashcart.

I agree that it's sad that DSO has so many bugs as to be unusable.