is it possible for usb loaders to...

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by atomikramp, Jan 12, 2010.

Jan 12, 2010
  1. atomikramp
    OP

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Hello everyone, i don't think it can be done but i'm yet curious and if it could be done would be a nice feature.

whenever you run an application or game from the system menu, the wii "logs" your activity and if you go into your message board you can look at what you have played and how long, and wich applications you used.

when you use the USB loader tho, through the homebrew channel or other launching method, what you get in the log is that you used the "launch method" (for example the homebrew channel) for the time you played your game.

it would be cool for USB loaders or disk loaders if they can tweak with the wii activity log so that if you for instance launch mario galaxy, then you get you have played mario galaxy for 1 hour, instead of using the homebrew channel for one hour.

2. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    no experience with it personally, but i have read that if you make a channel for a game loaded off an hd, the wii will accurately associate that time with the game itself. logical, i think, as the activity time is now being associated with the hbc channel you launched, and/or forwarder you launched to get to the loader, right?

3. atomikramp
    OP

Italy
    yeh i think the wii logs what you launch from the system menu, and the "title" is the name of the channel you run.

the only thing is that it's pretty annoying and "messy" to place lots of channels in the system menu.

4. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Probably will never happen. The File is located in the NAND and there's a high brick risk if you want to modify it. And honestly, you don't need it. You would realy brick your Wii for this?

5. atomikramp
    OP

Italy
  6. peddengba

Newcomer peddengba Member

Sweden
    Hell yeah! Bring it on, I'll try it... [​IMG]

7. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

There's actually no brick risk at all. If the file is invalid it just means nothing is logged.

8. atomikramp
    OP

Italy
    if the file becomes malformed you can encounter bricking issues in the system menu actually, like with malformed banners etc.

9. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Not this file (play_rec.dat). Those bricks happen because the code loading them crashes. This file has a checksum and if it isn't valid, the contents are discarded.

10. atomikramp
    OP

Italy
    understood

11. marc_max

Member marc_max GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    I'm also interested on this.
    play_rec.dat is the file to look for sure.
    I have been playing with it with no results (and no bricks, so it's 'safe').
    I tried modifying the file (by changing the channel name to something else) and replacing it with ftpii, but it never counts it on the log.
    Maybe it's caused by HBC, because HBC does not log on my Wii (I read somewhere it's caused by BootMii, that runs System Menu in another way).
    And also, everytime I read that file it contains information of HBC, I'd like to read information about

The last numbers before the channel ID should be two unsigned 64 bits that maybe contain the time you ran the channel (raw time in seconds, since 1st January 1970 I guess) and when you power off the console it updates the second u64 with the time you shutdown.
    Then when you go back to Wii menu, it reads the file and modifies the message on Wii's message board. And then the file is deleted.
    NOTE: This is only a theory.
    Main problem is I can't test like I would want, because I'm sure HBC does something to play_rec.dat file to make it never save the time.
    I tried to run ftpii (to extract and insert the file) with bannerbomb after running a WiiWare channel, but play_rec.dat isn't there anymore (so it's seems that once the System Menu reads the file it deletes it automatically).

Another interesting post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=192...p;#entry2410849
    This talks about modifying the messages on Wii log, but maybe they are all related.

12. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You've got the right idea. When a channel is launched, the system menu creates the file. While the channel/game is running it continuously updates the time in the file. When the system menu runs again it reads the file and updates the play log.
    The step you're missing is the checksum of the file must be valid, or else the system menu ignores it. HBC purposefully writes a bad checksum when it starts.

13. marc_max

Spain
    You seem to know how this file works [​IMG] Will you help us on achieving it?

How can I build a correct checksum?

Is really the console continuosly updating the file? It does not sound very efficient, and a it looks like powerful life-shorter for the NAND.
    Anyway, if the console is updating that file every second/minute, do you know if we will be able to modify it?

14. marc_max

Spain
    Thanks to tueidj I could change the Homebrew Channel name and ID on the diary, so I'm very near of getting what atomikramp wanted [​IMG]

15. marc_max

Spain
    I made it [​IMG]
    I managed to save correctly the game's time launched from my USB Loader.
    Even Nintendo Channel counts the time correctly!

16. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    And again I was wrong...damm [​IMG]. Oh well, I'll try again: There will NEVER be an GC-ISO Loader!

But honestly, I'll only see one thing that would be usefull for this..sending the List/Info to Twitter/Facebook/gamerDNA. If you'll do that, I'll even would donate a Coffee or something [​IMG]. I'm sick of manualy adding these Lists...

Otherwise, can anybody explain me why this is usefull? I'm eager to hear...[​IMG]

17. marc_max

Spain
    If you want to share this information with Twitter, Facebook or any gamer card website another kind of program should be needed (it has nothing to do with I have done). But it's not anything hard, see http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Playstats. This application counts the game time exactly like Nintendo Channel, you can simply modify the code of that program to update a image on a webserver, the hard part (reading from Wii's log) is already done.

And saving the game time to Wii's log is useful for me. I like the Nintendo Channel stats, but since I started using USB Loaders the stats became completely useless [​IMG]

Also, if you save the game time to your Wii's log, Nintendo will never know that you are playing from an USB! If someday they want to read all Wii users' stats they will think you are playing always from disc.

And dads will be able to know if their children played videogames instead of doing their homework! [​IMG]

And... If someone makes the program you want, this will be necessary too or it will never give you the real stats!

18. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Wow, this is pretty amazing. I'm surprised you haven't got more posts...

You are making this fix available to the USB Loader developers, right? We would love to have this in Configurable as it is one of the most often requested features.

19. gannon

Newcomer gannon Member

Japan
    Sounds interesting. I didn't go this route with playstats because I was worried about possibly bricking the wii or corrupting the wc24 file. Hope your info is right and can be tested [​IMG]

20. marc_max

Spain
    Well... With this method you are touching a file on the NAND so maybe there is a possibility of bricking. However, if this file becomes corruptes the Wii simply ignores and deletes it. And also, I'm using a portion of code that bushing posted somewhere and he said it was from Homebrew Channel, so if HBC did not brick your Wii since you installed it we can say this is safe.