ROM Hack Is it possible at all to tell if you use JKSM for a game?

Curtis Lister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doing some research on VGC hack checking and I was curious if it possible for hack checks to see if you extracted your save using JKSM. Or if a Pokemon has some data behind it that says it was modified using PKHeX. I find the whole process of hack checking relly interesting, so I would love some input from people who know how this all works. Thanks a ton!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With JKSM, probably not. With PKHex, it's entirely possible that a hypothetical analysis of a save file could show that it was edited, depending on what was done. When it comes to individual Pokémon, however, legal Pokémon are likely indistinguishable from legitimate Pokémon, regardless of whether or not PKHex was used.

Edit: Of course, a poorly edited and illegal Pokémon could easily be shown to be edited with PKHex.

Last edited by Lacius,

Curtis Lister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With JKSM, probably not. With PKHex, it's entirely possible that a hypothetical analysis of a save file could show that it was edited, depending on what was done. When it comes to individual Pokémon, however, legal Pokémon are likely indistinguishable from legitimate Pokémon, regardless of whether or not PKHex was used.

Edit: Of course, a poorly edited and illegal Pokémon could easily be shown to be edited with PKHex.
Oh ok, interesting! If a poke is made in PKHeX and has the exact same stuff as a poke caught within the game, is there some sort of data to show the difference? I am hoping to get into coding and stuff and this just intrigues me

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, interesting! If a poke is made in PKHeX and has the exact same stuff as a poke caught within the game, is there some sort of data to show the difference? I am hoping to get into coding and stuff and this just intrigues me
PKHex has a legality checker built in for Generation VI and VII Pokémon. If they pass, then they're likely legal and indistinguishable from a legitimate and unedited Pokémon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on