Is it possible a PS4 game disk contains a firmware update?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by cloudfe, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    As the title.
    I’ve finally managed to get my hands on a PS4 Pro with an hackable firmware, and I’m afraid of anything that could possibly ruin it (I’ll never connect it to Wi-Fi, nor attach an Ethernet cable).

I remember the example of the Switch with Pokken Tournament, and so I got scared...

So, is this technically possible?

2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    yes, all sony's supports like ps3/4 games, bluray films contain update firmware for both ps3/ps4

3. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Yup, however it asks you if you want to update, so no accidents: but always use a blocker and DNS!!

Sparkss likes this.
  4. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Will the blocker and DNS stop the game from asking to update the firmware (or at least stop the attempt in case of a very stupid button wrongly pressed)?

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    my guess would be no. selecting yes to install may be prevented though.

6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Update blocker blocks the locations that the PS4 copies the PS4UPDATE.PUP and installs from. without being able to store the update the console cannot update from wifi (not sure about disc).

Lightningmods blocker extreme however blocks EVERY possibly method of updating, but I would look into it before installing, because of certs iirc.

Sparkss likes this.
  7. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Thank you for all the info.

One last thing. I’m not that clumsy, but I am that paranoid: what can I do if I accept the disk update by mistake? Should I just yank out the power cord immediately? Will I have to delete something afterwards? And will the game keep asking me after my first refusal?

8. cloudfe
    This message by cloudfe has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 8, 2018, Reason: Do not bump threads.
    Aug 4, 2018
  9. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    If you accept the disk update, afaik, the console will reboot to safe mode for copying to the hdd, then it will install from the hdd.

You may see prompts in between those stages to confirm the update, I’m not sure, but there should be ample time to power off and save it from updating.

Sparkss likes this.
  10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If it's actually installing, that'll probably wreck your system. But I think it needs to copy the whole thing to your HDD before that point. I wouldn't pull the cord and risk it tho, just be extra careful not to get to that possibility.

11. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Thanks again for the replies.
    If I manage to power off before it finishes (I suppose by holding the power button for several seconds?) will I have to delete something afterwards? And will the game keep asking me after my first refusal?

12. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Cautious bump, only because I can’t find the answer to these last three questions anywhere:

1) If yanking out the power cord is not an option (possible brick), could I simply hold the power button for several seconds in case the update installation starts?

2) Will I have to delete something afterwards (considering the update comes from a disk)?

3) Will the game keep asking me after my first refusal?

13. abdul85pl

abdul85pl GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Poland
    ad 1) I think after cutting off power it should trigger to safe mode but there is chance of brick
    ad 2) just to be sure reboot to safe mode and rebuild or reset settings (not system) or

ad 3) if the game need to to run - yeah it will keep asking you, but there is ONE game at the moment that needs 5.50 (Detroit) every other game needs 5.05 or lower. Just update via USB to 5.05 and do the jailbreak (load payloads to your cache and go offline). You can play everything exept Detroit for now.

Sparkss likes this.
  14. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Thank you for the replies.

About question n.1: what are then my options if I trigger the beginning of the update installation? Is there any way to stop it without risking bricking?

15. abdul85pl

abdul85pl GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Poland
    Nope... you got 50/50 you got brick.
    But really this conversation is 100% hypothetical - if you update to 5.05 there is no AAA except Detroit Become Human that will require update (next is Spiderman).
    Every game realsed before 25.05.2018 will not require fw higher then 5.05.

16. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    I know, I’m just a bit paranoid...
    But I appreciate you (and the others) taking the time to “quell my fears”.

Now I’m just waiting for a method to install game updates that require a higher firmware (e.g. the Ni No Kuni 2 one where they added neat things like higher level difficulty). I suppose we need the keys for that?

17. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    @cloudfe we need 5.5X kex for that.

Sparkss likes this.
  18. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Is finding a way to apply higher firmware game updates as difficult as finding a way to play games that require higher firmwares? Or is there some sort of shortcut once we have the info we need?

19. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    If we had "keys" we could make a CFW and wouldnt need to fake sign anything up to the keyset we obtained.

Right now we have an escalated live memory exploit, which enables debug and loads only paid for or fake signed games.

If we had someone with a Kexploit for 5.50 who dumped games/updates and fake signed them we could potentially use them on 5.05 (depending on SDK requirements used in the 5.50 game).

20. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    Or dump the keys and create a payload which patches them into 5.05

21. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Why would you not make a full 5.50 CFW if you had all the keys? It seems backwards to make a 5.05 solution with 5.50 keys :wtf:

Sparkss likes this.