Hacking Is it okay to remove the internal microSD (N3DSXL) while in the Gateway menu?

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not ok since launcher.dat is in the microSD. Also you do know that the emuNAND is created on that microSD right? It needs to read the NAND.bin, you hopefully will copy to your computer, to create an emuNAND.

Dragaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not ok since launcher.dat is in the microSD. Also you do know that the emuNAND is created on that microSD right? It needs to read the NAND.bin, you hopefully will copy to your computer, to create an emuNAND.

Oh okay. I've already dumped my sysNAND, and am currently dumping some of my retail games. So from here, I guess i'd turn it off, backup my game/sysNand/Nintendo3DS folder, delete the game from the microSD, and then format emuNAND?

I was just worried if having NAND.bin or the Nintendo3DS folder on the card would mess up emuNAND setup/if you needed the Nintendo3DS folder to launched the CN exploit

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. When the 3DS SD card is removed from an old 3DS while in the Gateway menu, the thing freezes up and you have to hold the power button down to shut off. I assume it would be the same for the N3DS as well.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, because it'll crash, as emunand is a modified copy of your sysnand but running from your Micro-SD Card.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, it should be okay then once the menu is loaded (but if you don't have emunand, I don't really see the point of removing the Micro-SD card).

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay. I've already dumped my sysNAND, and am currently dumping some of my retail games. So from here, I guess i'd turn it off, backup my game/sysNand/Nintendo3DS folder, delete the game from the microSD, and then format emuNAND?

I was just worried if having NAND.bin or the Nintendo3DS folder on the card would mess up emuNAND setup/if you needed the Nintendo3DS folder to launched the CN exploit

Yes, backup up everything from the internal microSD. You only need to have the launcher.dat and the NAND.bin in the microSD to create an emuNAND. Then format emuNAND and then copy everything back.

Reactions: Osmosis and Dragaan

Dragaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, backup up everything from the internal microSD. You only need to have the launcher.dat and the NAND.bin in the microSD to create an emuNAND. Then format emuNAND and then copy everything back.

When you say "format" emunand, you mean make it right? Not unlink it? That terminology has always been confusing to me...

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing major but you do not need NAND.bin on the mSD to format/"create" emunand. I always copy it off immediatly after dumping my sysnand. I did this three times last night with 3 different n3ds.

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing major but you do not need NAND.bin on the mSD to format/"create" emunand. I always copy it off immediatly after dumping my sysnand. I did this three times last night with 3 different n3ds.
So what does it do? Does it redump the NAND or just read it straight off and create one?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what does it do? Does it redump the NAND or just read it straight off and create one?
Honestly I don't know how GW implements the function. Although it is often said emunand is a 1:1 copy of sysnand for it to behave differently it has to have additional/modified code. It does take approximately the same amount of time to backup sysnand as it does to format emunand so my guess is it reads it again and does its patching in the process.

If you have a spare mSD card even a small one try it sometime. Just put launcher on it and format an emunand.

Then for kicks update to 9.6, go to eshop download some updates and then see if you can find them in the folder structure and install them to your working emunand. I have a few other projects right now but that one is on my list. :).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte