Is it ok to convert 3ds files to cia and install them with fbi?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by pakrad, Aug 10, 2018.

1. pakrad
    OP

pakrad Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2017
    Turkey
    Hello friends. I see a lot of videos about new ban wave and freeshop problem. Is it ok to convert 3ds files to cia and install them with fbi? Is this method risky as long as you play offline?

2. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    installing cias with fbi is fine

3. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    I have not heard anything about a new ban wave.

4. pakrad
    OP

pakrad Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2017
    Turkey
    And I wonder one more thing. After installing, if I update them with eshop, will it cause any trouble?

5. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    I would not do that

6. pakrad
    OP

pakrad Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2017
    Turkey
    Is there any safe way to update them?

7. Exannor

Exannor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    Use JKSM(Or Checkpoint), pull the save, delete the old cia, download and install cia with updated version and then use JKSM(Or Checkpoint) again to put the save back on the game, a little extensive and I heard from somewhere that you can download the update separately and then pack it into a cia and install it, but I can't confirm it and I haven't found a site that hands out updates in .cia format.

Last edited by Exannor, Aug 10, 2018
    pakrad likes this.
  8. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    I did not hear of a new ban-wave recently, but installing CIA files with FBI should be fine to do. Just don't go launching any applications installed from CIA files online, as apparently the system uploads information about the most recent application opened to Nintendo's servers.

pakrad likes this.
  9. Natural

Natural GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2014
    United States
    I tried to update Ultra Moon and got a Error Code: 005-4800. I also tried going to EShop and got the same thing. I'll try again after restarting my system. After the restart I can update Ultra Moon now.

Last edited by Natural, Aug 10, 2018
  10. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    I dont seem to have been banned myself.

SSG Vegeta and pakrad like this.
  11. jesus96

jesus96 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    Mexico
    it's just youtube clickbaits, there's no ban wave yet

also i don't see the point of updating to 11.8, i can play online without problems in the version 11.7 like i can play online in the Wii U with the Version 5.5.1

just don't use the freeshop and install cias like you always do

12. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    You could use the ciangel it has the option to create cia files wether its an update or an actual game thats how I updated Azure Gunvolt 2 when its done creating said file it'll be in the ciangel folder

pakrad and Natural like this.
  13. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    EDIT: nvm

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You don't even need the game to install the update (as long as it's a retail game and not an eShop exclusive)
    So it should be fine.
    Anything is fine. FreeShop no longer works anyway. Any CIA you find online or convert yourself should be fine. There is a chance Nintendo could start cross referencing against your purchase history but that's always been the case and to date they haven't done that.

pakrad likes this.
  15. pakrad
    OP

pakrad Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2017
    Turkey
    Thanks a lot for your answers. I don't have much installed games on 3ds, but I can give the smash bros exemple for updating a game, after I updet it (I was useing sky3ds) I opened game and I saw some gifts etch. was recived. and maybe it added some diffrence on gameplay, accually I just open the game and wanted to see if everything is allright. Thats why I was asking for updating games. But as far as I see a lot of other games does't have any diifrences between updated or not (?). Dlc's are diffrent I guess...

16. djnate27

djnate27 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    New ban wave..................New Wave Band!
    devo_wide.

Itzumi likes this.