Gaming is it ok to charge DSlite even though it's not lowbatt?

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prolonging battery pack life
1 Depletion below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.8 V/cell, depending on chemistry) results in a dead battery which does not even appear to charge because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it. This can be reversed in many modern batteries, especially single-cell ones, by applying a charging voltage for long enough to make the cell voltage rise above the low-voltage threshold; however this behaviour varies by manufacturer.
2 Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool; they may be stored in a refrigerator.
3 The rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't it bad to let the battery get too low before charging? Like it kills the battery faster? Keeping it charged as much as possible is a good thing.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what I've heard, letting the battery deplete too far or even completely too often can actually kill it's lifespan faster than charging it constantly when it isn't low.

I keep my plugged in for the most part when I'm at home when I'm using mine, doesn't seem to affect it much.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dylanlanphear said:
it's actually smarter to let a battery almost die before charging it, it prolongs battery life

Really, I've experienced the exact opposite.

Anything I let charge completely and then discharge completely seems to get way less battery life over time than anything I don't let that happen to.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nimbus said:
dylanlanphear said:
it's actually smarter to let a battery almost die before charging it, it prolongs battery life

Really, I've experienced the exact opposite.

Anything I let charge completely and then discharge completely seems to get way less battery life over time than anything I don't let that happen to.
Yeah, with the DS battery it's better not to have it die or get close to being completely depleted, while with another type of batteries it actually helps having it go dead and then charging it. There have been threads about this in the past where it was explained in more detail why it helps not to let the DS battery die in order to prolong its lifespan (or rather not to shorten it).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
dylanlanphear said:
You're thinking of NiCd batteries, Li-ion batteries can be permanently damaged if the voltage goes down below a certain limit.

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'm pretty sure it's fine. A fun fact: you can play DS without a battery as long as it's plugged in.

WTF!?!?! So that's what the cord was... But thanks anyways mate
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans