Is it normal to wonder what it'd be like. . .

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by sonknuck23, May 19, 2011.

May 19, 2011
  1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    I've been thinking a lot lately about what life would be like without my girlfriend, and I'm just wondering if this is just a normal phase? or is this the kind of thing people usually only think about when they're unhappy and want out? Just wondering what you guys think of this, and if it's normal or not, or maybe if it's even happened to some of you.

2. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I've never had a boyfriend, but I guess it's as normal as checking other guys/girls out. But if your not happy I advise you to get out of the relationship now.

3. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you're thinking about it all the time, maybe you have depression, assuming the thoughts make you sad. If not, then it's time to move on.
    I happen to have thoughts similar to that from time to time; I believe it's a thought process that allows you to analyze exactly how attached you are to someone or something. If you love something, you can't help but think of losing it as well. It's a sad but true fact, or at least to me it is.

4. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Maybe you're sub-consciously testing if you are actually happy with this person. Seems normal, if you are sad when they are gone, you've probably found a keeper. [​IMG]

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    A better question would be if you never had a boyfriend/girlfriend at all. I fall under this scenario for family (religious) reasons.

It's just kind of vague, to be honest. I think that relationships at school levels are just... stupid. It makes me sound like a really sad hermit, but think about it:

You meet a girl.
    You start going out.
    You break up.
    Repeat.

It doesn't really lead anywhere. As for relationships like these leading to marriages... Those don't normally last long.

The emotions that you feel in a shallow relationship like that won't compare when you REALLY get to learn about someone. Getting to understand the "spouse" really just tightens a relation than just asking the person out of nowhere.

6. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It's a normal phase, you're just back to earth.
    Now you just have to take your time and see who she really is and ponder whether she is the kind of person you'd want to spend 10 or 20 years with her or not.
    It can take several weeks to go through this.

7. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I will be honest, I do think about it sometimes as having a girlfriend does complicate things somewhat. I never go so far as to think about being with another person but I just wonder how I would react to being single after a relationship. I wonder if I would go off the deep end and be miserable, be happy or go out and have a rebound relationship. So I personally think its normal because its what I do, but I have found that I am not exactly the best person to give relationship advice. [​IMG]

8. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    I appreciate all of your posts and the fact that you've all been nice about it. I love my girlfriend, we have a good time and etc. To be more thorough, I live with her, and I just feel like things were better before we moved in together. . . I moved in rather quickly due to certain circumstances, but I wish I just had my own place and we could be a normal "teenage" couple (we're both 20, but we just turned 20, so yeah, I use the world "teenage" loosely, but you know what I mean.)

9. Sebastian

Member Sebastian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Best wishes...Ur happy continuously....

10. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    These thoughts are normal. Even I had them last year with my love, the only reason for that was "feeling worried about losing her". Now engaged so that worry is gone.

11. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    FFS... You nitwits should consider yaselves lucky there's one person who cares enough to tolerate all yer BS, despite not being blood-related. Considering how many people out there that are wondering how it would be like to have a GF/BF, it's kind of astounding that people can consider thinking about that. Though props to you if you never acted on it.

Though I guess you can chalk that up to human psychology, always thinking "what if?" and all that other load of bull. Just don't go off doing stuff on a whim.

12. Inazuma Eleven

Newcomer Inazuma Eleven Advanced Member

Singapore
    See whether both of u all have a common interest so you all will not be fed up of your relationship and always have something to talk about

13. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    IMO, it's good to have thoughts like these. It helps you think about issues that you need to talk about. If these thought are about sex and other fantasies, I'm sure it's just a phase.

It's a way of sorting out your feelings, and letting you know that you need to find a way to keep your relationship interesting and healthy.

14. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    dont worry it is normal and healthy to put yourself and your relationship in questions

its when you dont that shit happens, keep on thinking and communicating with you gf is key, trust me!!

15. Edgedancer

Australia
    What is your problem mate? Are you saying that we don't value our significant others? Because its actually the other way around. Most of us care about and wonder what would happen if we were no longer with them. I just dont get how this thought comes to someones mind at all.

16. Shinigami357

Philippines

All I'm saying is it sucks that some people think that. Nothing against any of you all, you prob scare the hell outta yourself when you think about that, but still. I mean, a lot of people are lonely, y'know? Like I said, as long as it stays as a hypothetical "what if" type of thing, then you're more-or-less normal (coz there really is no baseline for normal). Relax.

Of course, if you're in a bad spot relationship-wise, then I suppose it would be more than logical to harbor such thoughts.

17. Shinigami357

Philippines
    Holy crap, accidental double-post.... I blame my crappy ISP

18. mad567

Member mad567 D. Gregar

Greece
    You see I had two girlfriends..
    One of them really hurt my feelings.
    So i decided not Have a relationship until I find a nice funny girl..
    Until that time the only thing I do Is making out with random girls that I meet..
    In Conclusion I can't imagine myself in a relationship [​IMG]

19. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    i say good POV!! be careful with careless bitches hurting ur feelings.. [​IMG]

20. Edgedancer

Australia
    I am sorry. For some reason, now that I am a little tipsy, I realise that I was a little rude when I was sober, for whatever reason. [​IMG]
    In my case at least, it is purely hypothetical as I am totally devoted to my girlfriend; and I do acknowledge that some people are lonely, in terms of relationships, but I believe that there are people for everyone, and the people in their teens (and I know that I am still 19 so don't comment [​IMG]) often overvalue what a girlfriend/boyfriend means, seeing it as more of a status symbol, rather than a commitment.