Hardware Is it normal if some Wii games display tiny black borders?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On my HDTV, I noticed that some of my backups displayed tiny black borders at the edges of my TV and I was wondering if that's normal if you set the Wii to 16:9 and 420p?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well maybe i'm not the best person to answer cause i only have around 30 backups, but i have a HDTV 16:9

but my wii is set for 480P and have never experienced your problem

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i have noticed this playing madworld on a 1080p LCD. yes it is set to 16:9 mode and the wii menu and most all game fill the screen in wide screen mode.

maybe it is something to do with the resolution the programmers used? anyway you should be able to adjust the 'picture aspect' or 'theater modes' from your remote

D

Deleted User

I noticed that when playing Broken Sword on my Wii and also on my father's Wii. Both Wiis are set to 480p and connected to a LCD HDTV using a component cable.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
On my HDTV, I noticed that some of my backups displayed tiny black borders at the edges of my TV and I was wondering if that's normal if you set the Wii to 16:9 and 420p?

Yes this is very normal, as some Wii games don't conform to true 16:9 in 480p. ExciteTruck has thin black borders, but the newer ExciteBots does not. Gravity is very bad, with huge black bars on both sides. I find most Nintendo games such as SM Galaxy, MarioKart, etc. fill the entire screen perfectly. When I first noticed the bars, I thought maybe a setting got changed on my TV, but it's just how it is. Another strange occurance for me is the Super Nintendo (Snes9xGX), where most games fill my 16:9 when I get the settings dialed in, but then some games, namely Street Fighter II World Warrior have their own funky aspect ratio.

I just find that owning a 16:9 hdtv is going to result in a mixed bag of compatibility, considering a lot of media just wasn't designed with this format in mind.

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's probably to do with overscan. TVs often don't display the edges of the picture. It was originally for tech reasons to do with old CRTs, but it hasn't really been necessary for years - they just do it because a lot of media is designed for it.

Games programmers want to squeeze as much performance out of the system as possible, so sometimes they just don't render anything at the very edges since it's going to be overscanned (cut off) anyway. They don't do it anywhere near as much these days since there are plenty of HDTVs that don't overscan at all on progressive scan inputs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @StatusN, welcome