Hardware Is it normal for the Switch to get hot while turned off?

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So, yes, that is my question.

Is it normal for the Switch to get hot while the system is off?

In summary, today I left my Switch in the dock, and as it is hot in my country these weeks, I made sure to shut the console completely off. The battery was in 100 full. After about 4 hours I came back home, and as a nerdy curious guy that I am, I checked the Switch and felt it to the touch, call it a Nerd's sixth sense :)

And yep, the console was quite warm! And I was like WTF! I made sure to turn it off completely because today was a hot as hell, what da hell is going on!! :wtf:

Cheers guys, and besides that I have a cold and a super migraine, in here we have the hottest day of summer. Great day to get sick!! ;) No is not really, I hope to stay alive, honestly my condition is a bit more serious, but I will not bother you with those things hahahhha Cheers.

Now I am off to sleep, or I may die. Please leave your thoughts about this subject, I will check tomorrow! Thank you so much, give this hurt man his last wish ;)

Last edited by nashismo,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No for virgin Switches and yes for AutoRCM enabled ones.
This is only half correct sir.

If the console is properly shut down (ie the mini-boot is allowed to complete) when you have powered off, this will ensure your console is off.

Bear in mind that with autoRCM enabled, anything USB will turn the console on.

So your console may have been turned off correctly, but as soon as anything hits the USB, you get kicked into RCM again.

Solution:
Disable autoRCM
or
Fit modchip

Reactions: sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...yes? I never implied it's not completely off.
I'm just trying to help and I had the same question myself before when I "turned it off" as well. I think it's the same situation here.
Yep. I was just trying to make clear the why in a question format. Not wise perhaps, but I hope the OP understands the probable cause.

Reactions: mattytrog

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This is only half correct sir.

If the console is properly shut down (ie the mini-boot is allowed to complete) when you have powered off, this will ensure your console is off.

Bear in mind that with autoRCM enabled, anything USB will turn the console on.

So your console may have been turned off correctly, but as soon as anything hits the USB, you get kicked into RCM again.

Solution:
Disable autoRCM
or
Fit modchip
I'm behind the times then. I think it was always on before regardless if it's connected to anything or not. Is it different now? I remember freaking out at my hot Switch before too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yep. I was just trying to make clear the why in a question format. Not wise perhaps, but I hope the OP understands the probable cause.
Sometimes you need an idiot to help another idiot :)

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Guys I am not using Auto RCM. Because I accidentally updated to 7.00, my switch was in 6.1 and I wanted to have 6.2 and I was so lucky, because at that very moment Nintendo was rolling out the update, shit luck hahahah

So no, I completely shut it off. But after long and hard analysis, it was the Wifi, I left it on, it is the only thing that I did differently this time. Unless someone else have another explanation, Nintendo is doing something with the wifi even when our Switches are completely off, but docked. I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by nashismo,

Pook and Pie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been a known bug since 5.x firmware when using a LAN adapter, but this would be the first time I've heard of it simply being through WiFi.

I had the same issue with my Switch constantly staying warm, too, but I unplugged my LAN adapter when not in use and the issue hasn't resurfaced.

Maybe there is something going on with with on 7.0; this would be quite the interesting find.

Reactions: nashismo

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This has been a known bug since 5.x firmware when using a LAN adapter, but this would be the first time I've heard of it simply being through WiFi.

I had the same issue with my Switch constantly staying warm, too, but I unplugged my LAN adapter when not in use and the issue hasn't resurfaced.

Maybe there is something going on with with on 7.0; this would be quite the interesting find.

Yes, only using WiFi. And I specifically remember shutting the console off, because the day was so incredible hot, I was scared to leave it on sleep mode. And yes it would be nice if someone with more knowledge could look into this if he wants to, because like I said, the console was 100% full. Joycons where also disconnected and the TV was off. Everything running on firmware 7.0.

Cheers!

Last edited by nashismo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1