Is it NECESSARY to upgrade from 1.1.0-1U ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dm2000, Dec 2, 2012.

Dec 2, 2012
  1. dm2000
    OP

Newcomer dm2000 Member

Italy
    Hello.
    Yesterday I bought a 3DS with firmware 1.1.0-1U. I have not yet bought a flashcard, but I'm going to buy one (probably the R4i Gold by R4ids.cn team). I have also got a DS, so I have no problems to upgrade the flashcard kernel.
    I would like to know:
    1) Is it necessary to update the 3DS firmware or it is better to avoid any upgrade ?
    2) Is it possible to make the upgrade "offline", without connecting to Nintendo (for example. downloading the firmware from somewhere and loading it by a software) ?
    3) Have I to upgrade to 4.4.0-10U or can I choice a previous version, like the 4.0.0-7U ?
    4) Is it possible to block future automatic upgrade from the Nintendo ?
    5) At the present, automatic upgrades require the internet connection or it can be operated also by original Nintendo games ?

Many thanks to everyone

dm

2. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    some game will need you to update for them to wrok
    to use online games and the eshop you will need to update

you can not d/l the updated file off the net

3. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I suggest you to upgrade because you have a old DS to upgrade your R4i card and you can get new features with the upgrade.

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    1. In order to use the eShop, yes, you will have to update to whichever firmware is the latest (right now, 4.4.0-10). If you don't care about the eShop, you are not required to update through your internet connection. However, retail 3DS game cartridges typically include a mandatory offline update to whichever firmware was the most current at the time of release. For example, if you insert a 3DS game and it wants you to update to 4.0.0-7 before it will let you play the game, you have to update if you want to play.

2. It's possible to do an offline update only with retail game cartridges that want you to update before you can play.

3. If you update through the internet, you can only update to the latest firmware (right now, 4.4.0-10). If you update offline using a game cartridge, you have to update to whichever firmware version the game cartridge contains (which could be just about anything depending on how new the game is).

4. It's easy to block online updates from Nintendo: just don't do it. However, if you want to play a game that wants you to update before you can play it, no, there's no way to block the update right now.

5. You can update your 3DS both through the internet and with game cartridges.

Fortunately, the R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn) receives regular patches to work with the latest 3DS updates, and the R4i Gold 3DS currently works with 4.4.0-10.

ground likes this.
  5. tofast4u

Member tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I suggest getting the SupercardDStwo as they usually upgrade there flash cards to work with the latest firmware.

6. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Both the Supercard DSTWO and the R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn) receive regular updates, so it doesn't matter which one you get; they are the two best options.

7. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Check the revision of the card!
    Cause 6 7 and 8 don't work on the latest firmware, the revision 9 A B and C works.
    You can get the revision C on ZhuZhuChina.com

8. blaisedinsd

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am trying to figure out how you check the revision of the card.

I see something about a PCB number, where do I find that?

Can you tell by the icon? I thought this changed based on what Wood you had. Mine right now is Prince Caspian, but it used to be something else when I first got it...Kirby demo or bass fishing (I have DStwo as well so I might be mixed up). I had to update it once because it wasn't working on DSiXL and only older DS and the icon changed. It was just some sort of patch that I ran on my DSlite...I didn't actually change the Wood version. I got a 3DSXL recently that's supposed to be for Christmas but I opened it up to check it out and it has 4.2.0-9u on it and the card works but I see that I am going to be forced to update it to access eshop and play new games and such.

This R4 stuff is very confusing... my card is R4i Gold 3DS (www.r4ids.cn) as far as I can tell...I ordered it from digitopz. I can't find any info on revision numbers.

9. GamerzHell9137

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Revision of the card?
    Turn the card around and in the right down corner ur gonna see a number or letter.

[​IMG]

10. blaisedinsd

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    THANK YOU!

I have revision C card by the way....sweet!

11. GamerzHell9137

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Just to say that the team said that the Revision C is gonna 100% work on the new 4.5 Firmware.