Is it necessary to downgrade to 3.2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dolyd, Jun 10, 2009.

Jun 10, 2009
  1. dolyd
    OP

Newcomer dolyd Newbie

United States
    I have a quick question that I hope somebody can answer. I've been out of the scene for a few months, so I'm catching up on all the new releases.

Anyways, my friend wants me to to install a USB Loader on his Wii so he can play backups. He is currently on FW 3.4. My question is, do I need to downgrade his firmware to 3.2 to get CIOS36_REV10 installed? Or is that not necessary anymore? Here are the steps that I think need to be done, let me know if I am missing something.

1. Install HBC via twilight hack.
    2. Use Wad Manager to install IOS16
    3. Use Custom Wad Manager to install CIOS_FIX (Not sure if this step is needed anymore)
    4. Install CIOS36_Rev10
    5. Run USB loader through HBC

Let me know if this is all I need, or if it's still necessary to downgrade to 3.2 or instal CIOS_FIX.

Thank you everybody!!

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    That's exactly what you need, downgrade to 3.2 is necessary to install Preloader, cause it is only supported by FW 3.2 or 4.0, remember to install bootmii and do a NAND backup...!! [​IMG]

3. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i'd say upgrade to 4.0 it can do everything 3.2 can and preloader also works on it plus the added benefit of sdhc and sd card channel launching.
    but you could stay at 3.4 if you don't plan on going past using the usbloader and if you ever decide to upgrade or downgrade you can install bootmii(i recommended doing that first) and make a nand backup.

4. dolyd
    OP

Newcomer dolyd Newbie

United States
    Thanks for your replies!

Some more quick questions that I'm not clear on. Do I need to install CIOS_FIX? Or is that not necessary anymore?

Also, I don't need to downgrade to 3.2 to install CIOS36_REV10, correct?

Thanks!

5. 2yugimoto

Member 2yugimoto GBAtemp Fan

United States
  6. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    well, this guide will tell him to downgrade which he absolutely does NOT need to do...

you just need to install CIOS with the method you described (not sure about cios_fix though, i bet it's required for cios installer to work) then update to 4.0 without forgetting to install & patch IOS60 first (using waninko updater or wiiscu followed by official update)...

if you don't care about pirated wads to be played from SD, you won't even need to patch ios60, just officially update after having installed cIOS

7. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    w00t. [​IMG] 3.2 & 4.0 are both equally good. Except no Twilight hack on 4.0