OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Hey guys,
Here's some sort of frustration i am getting while using firefox. It crashes, all the time!

it was fine with 10 but the update (10.0.1) gave me a plethora of issues whereby u open a 2 or 3 sites and it freezes. I have to close and open and again the same issues come immediately. I installed 11 beta 2 and it was working fine then came beta 3. pathetic as it started crashing again.

finally have shifted to chrome. its more stable and faster and lighter... and its google. now i know why hardcore firefox lovers (like me) after shifting to google chrome.

i will only come back if there is a special add-on not available on chrome.

Do you have the same experiences as me?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
...lighter? Chrome's memory footprint is actually larger than FireFox... at least for me it is (5x40MB compared to FF being 80MB). There are a few things I prefer with FF, but I'm only switching to Chrome because there's one major issue I always have with FF - secure sites (like bank sites) fail to send applications properly (e.g. secure verification used for online payments).

EDIT: Also, Chrome takes half a second less to load, but a full second longer to load tabs/pages (tested with 3 tabs - tumblr, anime site and gbatemp). And this is with one of the fastest SSDs available. FF is faster overall.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
...lighter? Chrome's memory footprint is actually larger than FireFox... at least for me it is (5x40MB compared to FF being 80MB). There are a few things I prefer with FF, but I'm only switching to Chrome because there's one major issue I always have with FF - secure sites (like bank sites) fail to send applications properly (e.g. secure verification used for online payments).

I think he meant interface wise.
I have used Chrome for the past year and found it to be my favourite browser out of the lot. It now supports nearly every extension (and those it doesn't, there's alternatives) and I love its simple, lightweight, synced interface. But my favourite thing about it is how it integrates with everything else. I have loads of other google things (gmail, docs, youtube and plus when it becomes available) and it syncs all these different things really well, no matter what computer you use, all your settings etc. are still there.

More on-topic: I have also noticed that firefox does freeze a lot, although I had been using Aurora (until recently now that normal FF has caught up) so that may have something to do with it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I find Chrome to be a bit better than FF. I don't have the 3 tabs taking longer to load problems...I have 6 load on start and none of them have any problems. I've been using Chrome ever since they went into Beta testing...works like a charm and I just can't go back to Firefox.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have not had these issues, granted I use OpenSuSE 12.1+Linux Mint 12 but it should be irrelivant which OS I use. Hell even under Windows I fail to have these issues.

Also Dter ic has a good idea, you should try creating a new profile. Make sure you export your bookmarks first though.

I do use Chrome from time to time, but until NoScript is entirely stable on it, as is Flash in Linux, I cannot switch entirely. Not sure if I would though, I rather like Firefox.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tab wise, chrome drives me nuts. I had to download a bunch of addons to get anywhere near the functionality of FF, and it still isn't THAT good. I can't stand that it tries to keep every tab visible by making them tiny, unlike firefox's scrolling thing where they stay a decent size and you can scroll through them, which makes finding tabs easy.

But otherwise yeah I find Chrome to be a lot better.
After a FF update mine also froze and crashed constantly. It drove me bonkers so I stopped using it entirely. Now it wont even load properly. If I fire it up, it just freezes. Uninstalling and reinstalling did nothing. It's weird.

X_XSlashX_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Firefox with me every time I wanted to open it up I had to run as admin. If I just regularly clicked it, it would pop up then freeze so I could never use it. And eventually this got way too annoying cause it was so just so slow and everything so I got Chrome and I haven't had a problem since.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Tab wise, chrome drives me nuts. I had to download a bunch of addons to get anywhere near the functionality of FF, and it still isn't THAT good. I can't stand that it tries to keep every tab visible by making them tiny, unlike firefox's scrolling thing where they stay a decent size and you can scroll through them, which makes finding tabs easy.

You must be very inefficient at web browsing to constantly have that many tabs open :P Personally, if I'm doing a project or w/e and need a lot of tabs I open more than one window and group the windows by category.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You must be very inefficient at web browsing to constantly have that many tabs open :P Personally, if I'm doing a project or w/e and need a lot of tabs I open more than one window and group the windows by category.

On the contrary I find it incredibly inefficient to have to keep opening sites up that I want to visit. I also tend to keep tabs up of sites I like to check often so I can just quickly flick to it, and check it. As well, I also keep some tabs open just to remind myself to check the site, since I have a really bad memory.

As long as a browser has a good tab system, my methods aren't inefficient at all. Chrome just limits me to 30 tabs, which isn't that bad. Usually. Though I do have an addon for a dropdown list of all tabs so even then I can easily find what i'm lookin' for.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AMAZING NEW IDEA; TRY TO FIX THE ISSUE!

In firefox, go to "about:support" in the URL bar (no quotes), click the copy button, and paste it here for us.

He did fix the issue.

He downloaded Chrome and started using it instead.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night