Hacking Is it me or does GBA support suck on G6L?

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
writing them zipped will have no effect as the g6 software will unzip them first.
funny though how there are some roms that can not be zipped. I have not run into this with GBA yet (so this is in off topic territory but F it) but there have been a good handful of DS games that will not write to the card when they are zipped but are fine once I unzip them (probably a Udisk issue more than the actual G6 because that is what does most of the work)

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
writing them zipped will have no effect as the g6 software will unzip them first.

funny though how there are some roms that can not be zipped. I have not run into this with GBA yet (so this is in off topic territory but F it) but there have been a good handful of DS games that will not write to the card when they are zipped but are fine once I unzip them (probably a Udisk issue more than the actual G6 because that is what does most of the work)

You can only attempt to write them zipped if the .nds or .gba is the only file in there... any .nfo or anything else will not let you write it.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I know but at this point I'm desperate
tongue.gif

BTW, I tried zipped, hardware patch, hardware+soft patch and soft patch. I even tried just copying the .gba unpatched. Nothing works. Also, I tried both the USA and EUR versions

USA version works fine.
If you want to play Racing Gears advance, do NOT play a NDS game BEFORE playing racing gears--it will crash.
Load up a different GBA game then reset the DS. Then racing gears will work. I outlined this in another post.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
USA version works fine.
If you want to play Racing Gears advance, do NOT play a NDS game BEFORE playing racing gears--it will crash.
Load up a different GBA game then reset the DS. Then racing gears will work. I outlined this in another post.

Sorry, still doesn't work. I loaded "Mario vs Donkey Kong", then did A+B+L+R + "main menu", then loaded racing gears advance (USA version) and it still gives me a white-screen.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USA version works fine.
Load up a different GBA game then reset the DS. Â Then racing gears will work.  I outlined this in another post.

Sorry, still doesn't work. I loaded "Mario vs Donkey Kong", then did A+B+L+R + "main menu", then loaded racing gears advance (USA version) and it still gives me a white-screen.

I don't know about the white screen problem.
The only crash I know about is what some others mentioned: getting a black screen with horribly screeching sounds on load.

I've never been able to replicate the white screen crash.
Are you using RT saves? Try not doing that. If you already aren't doing that, then I don't know.

Also, don't compress the rom.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
The only crash I know about is what some others mentioned: getting a black screen with horribly screeching sounds on load.

Are you using RT saves? Try not doing that. If you already aren't doing that, then I don't know.

I'll recap just to see if anyone has any idea:
My DS lite is flashed, I have a chinese g6 lite and I've tried every possible combination of patching to make this game work. I've tried using RTS, compressing, software patch, hardware patch, hardware+software patch or even direct copy. Nothing works. As soon as the ROM finishes loading I get a white screen.

It looks like I'm not the only one, but it does seem like I'm a part of the minority. From all of these facts I can only conclude that my G6 Lite is somehow different (it is not trial version though) or screwed up.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you using RT saves?  Try not doing that.  If you already aren't doing that, then I don't know.

I'll recap just to see if anyone has any idea:
My DS lite is flashed, I have a chinese g6 lite and I've tried every possible combination of patching to make this game work. I've tried using RTS, compressing, software patch, hardware patch, hardware+software patch or even direct copy. Nothing works. As soon as the ROM finishes loading I get a white screen.

It looks like I'm not the only one, but it does seem like I'm a part of the minority. From all of these facts I can only conclude that my G6 Lite is somehow different (it is not trial version though) or screwed up.

That's really weird.

I saw another post about someone who had certain particular things (I think it was a few select games) not working in his G6L, (I forgot what it was though) and I hypothesized that there may be some psram or other internal hardware differences in some batches, and that was regardless of firmware differences or u-disk.

I've never seen two white screens when trying to load a GBA game. The only crashes I've ever seen are black screen freezes with screeching noises (happened when loading a save state in Metroid zero mission and going through a door, unless I save on the inventory screen instead of the game screen, and advance gears when loading it right after playing a NDS title and then rebooting the DS directly into GBA mode). The only time I ever saw a white screen when trying to load a GBA game (and that's assuming no save state patching) is when I tried loading a GBA game from NDS mode, which of course never works.

To recap (sorry if you mentioned this:)
What version of your G6 firmware is installed? Have you tried (just for kicks) the 4.0 Beta firmware? (there should be a link to it in one of the firmware threads, just search for it). Try the 4.0 beta firmware plus the 4.3a u-disk manager--I KNOW that worked fine for me. I just tested that last night.

Also do you have a passcard 3 still? (you had to have one in order to flash your DSL). If you do, try holding down select while booting the DS, boot into the passcard this way, and then try to enter GBA mode in the G6L's main menu. Please report back on your findings. I'm going to try the latest firmware and do another install of racing gears advance, just for kicks...

One more thing:
Are you SURE your racing gears is the PROPER dump?
Here--BEFORE you try that 4.0 beta firmware, check the MD5 sum of your dump now.

The MD5 sum of my racing gears is --> 1dac1484f1d66158b1cfae3da7c79af9

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out... I'm really feeling disappointed with my G6L after all of these problems
frown.gif

That's really weird.

I saw another post about someone who had certain particular things (I think it was a few select games) not working in his G6L, (I forgot what it was though) and I hypothesized that there may be some psram or other internal hardware differences in some batches, and that was regardless of firmware differences or u-disk.
Yeah, that's my hunch too.

To recap (sorry if you mentioned this:)
What version of your G6 firmware is installed? Have you tried (just for kicks) the 4.0 Beta firmware? (there should be a link to it in one of the firmware threads, just search for it). Try the 4.0 beta firmware plus the 4.3a u-disk manager--I KNOW that worked fine for me. I just tested that last night.
I have the 4.3a firmware + 4.3a u-disk. Something REALLY REALLY weird is going on. I was trying the 4.0 beta english like you suggested but now when it asks me "do you reload system", I press yes and it WHITE-SCREENS! It doesn't update the firmware!!! The really weird thing is, I've done this before! My G6 came with 4.0beta, I flashed it with 4.3a, then I went back to 4.0beta because of the english and then finally reflashed to 4.3a once I knew what all the menus meant. It seems I'm stuck with 4.3a.

Also do you have a passcard 3 still? (you had to have one in order to flash your DSL). If you do, try holding down select while booting the DS, boot into the passcard this way, and then try to enter GBA mode in the G6L's main menu. Please report back on your findings. I'm going to try the latest firmware and do another install of racing gears advance, just for kicks...
nah, I sold my flashcart to a friend that didn't want to risk flashing his DS. I can borrow it as a last resort though.

One more thing:
Are you SURE your racing gears is the PROPER dump?Â
Here--BEFORE you try that 4.0 beta firmware, check the MD5 sum of your dump now.

The MD5 sum of my racing gears is -->Â 1dac1484f1d66158b1cfae3da7c79af9
Yup.

CODE
$ md5 Racing\ Gears\ Advance.gba
MD5 (Racing Gears Advance.gba) = 1dac1484f1d66158b1cfae3da7c79af9

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok just to be sure:

the firmware files are in the root directory of your G6L drive (and not in a subfolder), right?
I've updated many times and still sometimes I forget to unclick "extract with subfolders" in winrar, but all that does is give me a green "1" over the "Yes" box when I try to update.

I have a feeling the white screening when trying to update your firmware and advance wars is related.

After checking the location of the files, can you try the following?

When you get that green disclaimer (the same place that you will do the key combo for updating firmware), press ABLR and do the PSRAM test. Does it complete this test?

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Ok just to be sure:

the firmware files are in the root directory of your G6L drive (and not in a subfolder), right?
I've updated many times and still sometimes I forget to unclick "extract with subfolders" in winrar, but all that does is give me a green "1" over the "Yes" box when I try to update.
Yes, they were on the root directory

I have a feeling the white screening when trying to update your firmware and advance wars is related.

After checking the location of the files, can you try the following?

When you get that green disclaimer (the same place that you will do the key combo for updating firmware), press ABLR and do the PSRAM test. Does it complete this test?

Ok, right now I'm formatting the card and I'm going to try advance wars again when it is done (had no idea it took so long).

If it doesn't work, I'll do the PSRAM test and let you know.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Ok. I FINALLY got it working!

After I formatted the G6L, I copied all my GBA games back onto the card. I booted it up but Racing Gears Advance STILL white-screens. Something was different though. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this:
g6l_weird.jpg

At this point I was looking at the 4.3a firmware folder on my computer and I realized I always installed the chinese GB version. I decided to try the BIG-5 version. (flashing the firmware worked this time, btw... no white-screen).

After the new firmware was installed, I ran Racing Gears and I got a black screen with some noise! I then ran another game, went back to the main menu and re-ran Racing Gears and it works!

One thing though: my gba game menu is always screwed up like that picture I posted
frown.gif
Is there a fix for this?
Also, is there a way to avoid the black-screen+noise issue?

EDIT: had to resize the pic

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he used the BIG-5 version of the 4.3a firmware, instead of the GB version.

I've -never- used the GB version of any firmware.
After all, big-5 is used in Hong Kong, and IIRC isn't that where the M3 team is based?
*edit* looks like you beat me to it.

So based on all of this, you're saying that if I did flash the GB firmware, my racing gears would stop working AND I would be unable to go back to 4.0 beta?
frown.gif
Boy that sounds like lose-lose...

I wonder if people losing their GBA saves is ALSO a cause of using the GB firmware ?

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
No, he used the BIG-5 version of the 4.3a firmware, instead of the GB version.

I've -never- used the GB version of any firmware.
After all, big-5 is used in Hong Kong, and IIRC isn't that where the M3 team is based?
*edit* looks like you beat me to it.

So based on all of this, you're saying that if I did flash the GB firmware, my racing gears would stop working AND I would be unable to go back to 4.0 beta?
frown.gif
Boy that sounds like lose-lose...

I wonder if people losing their GBA saves is ALSO a cause of using the GB firmware ?

I can't say for sure that you would be unable to go back to 4.0beta because I had done that once before. That problem was solved with a format. Perhaps it was a corrupt g6loader.sys or something.

What I know for sure is that Racing Gears Advance + Chinese GB firmware = bad. I wonder how many more games don't work on that firmware.

asasega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
i'm using nds lite+g6lite with loader v4.4 and u-disk manager4.4 and i have a problem
nds backups are working but i can't play any gba backup(yes i'm trying to play theme in gba mode, and tried different methods(h,h+s,s))
the gba games that i have are donkey kong country, contra advance, castlevania aria of sorrow
what could be the problem?

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't care too much about GBA support or NDS Download Play. I really don't play much online and I don't know many people with a DS so when I get a G6 Lite in a few weeks I am only really going to want perfect NDS ROM Support.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care too much about GBA support or NDS Download Play. I really don't play much online and I don't know many people with a DS so when I get a G6 Lite in a few weeks I am only really going to want perfect NDS ROM Support.
For the most part this is an isolated incident. I have a Chinese G6L with Beta 1.0 firmware and current U-Disk manager. The current NDS support is almost 100%. I would say 100 but I have not played through all 555 games yet but I can say I have not run into one that does not work that has not already been a known issue across the board. Also, the GBA compatibility on this is almost perfect too and don't worry about the very few people here that are having a problem. You have been reading a lot about Racing Gears not working. It does. No tricks no special things you have to do. I have super old beta firmware and the game just works. No white screen. If there is a legitimate concern about the G6L it would be corruption, but I have not run into that either and as far as I can tell most corruption problems can be fixed with a format. The only major negative with this is that there is no expandable memory via SD or Micro SD.

asasega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
asasega: for curiosity's sake, is your g6lite chinese? and if so, which firmware are you using?

i'm using G6 Lite English with loader 4.4, but in a few moments i will update to 4.6
i'm not here to blame g6, i'm very happy that i bought this thing, i was just curios why i can't play gba games
that's all

i re-formated the G6 and now the gba games are working
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill