Is it legal, illegal or a grey area?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    If someone owns a farm/hectare(s) or a backyard and decides to bury their family members there to always be close to them is it necessarily illegal? Could not this be seen as a "Private Cemetery" so that members of only a single family are buried in that location?

This is an awkward topic to talk about but I wish my grandfathers (one of my grandmothers is still alive so that's why I didn't include the grandmothers) were in a 'Private Cemetery' like this, so it'd be easier to 'see' them rather than travel long distances of which they're in different cemeteries and I personally wouldn't even know their spots without being told.

Plus, the worst thing about public cemeteries is that the buried sometimes have absolutely no information at all, except for a stick, flowers or candles. This in my opinion, would be much better, friendlier and cleaner. And also, cemeteries end up being too full so what they do is bury more people on places that were already taken before.

Getting to the point, if people can afford to bury their family relatives in their own farms with a special place then they should be able to.

My grandma (from my mother's side) died a couple of years ago and I still haven't seen where she was buried because of there's no info to tell where she is.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As with most questions, it depends entirely on your location. I know in some states in the US it's perfectly legal to have a home burial, but not in others.

Saiyan Lusitano and zoogie like this.
  4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I like how your avatar matches the vibe of this thread perfectly.

And that post I made above may have been the most cringy I've ever made here. Yuck. :P

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    And here I thought the international law dealing with computer hacking in elections would be the legal question farthest outside my sphere of knowledge. Way to one up things.

As others have mentioned this definitely has to start with considering jurisdiction. Normally I would do a token search on the law for your flag/location thing but while the subject does not bother me I am not feeling it this evening.

What I am more here to look at is the choice of words you have there. It is said that you can learn a lot about someone from the questions they ask, however any rationalisations for the question posed seem to be even more useful. Personally the moment you die you are a pile of chemicals to me, maybe some organs someone else can use depending upon a few things. However should I desire to consider those that kicked the bucket I can do that just fine in my chair staring at the wall as I can standing on a windy hill looking at a piece of granite or marble.

"and cleaner"
    Do explain.

"Don't be one of those weirdos that drags grampa straight from the rocking chair to a hole in the backyard."
    While I am quite happy to see people slapped hard for not reporting, said reporting being a useful thing for society to keep track of, I am not sure such things make you a weirdo. Granted the chances of your mummified remains eventually being discovered surrounded by 500 guns and a year's supply of canned food are probably considerably higher if that is your inclination but the act itself does not seem so bad.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  7. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    When it's full of leaves, garbage, dirt around graves which is something essential that cemetery workers should do.

After death one shouldn't worry too much about him/her but it's relatives who you care for so it's not like garbage to throw away.

That's honestly quite funny. :P

8. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    I invite you to check Portugal's law about it.

As Tom said, It depends on where you live. In France, they end up forbid it because too much peoples found some squeletons in their yard. Peoples don't want to have a tombstone when they buy a land form someone.

Nothing is illegal, as long you don't get caught.

9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    You're not even allowed to bury pets around here.

It's mostly for in case you, y'know, move. Not exactly a pleasant surprise for the new owner of the property if they start digging out a pool one day and find ol' grandpa in the back yard.

vinstage likes this.
  10. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Well, I've not buried any relatives/humans (thankfully) but I have buried dead kitties which felt horrible as I really liked them, feed them and yet they didn't survive. Their mother left them alone and so I tried to shelter/feed 'em.

The worst part of it was that their skin slipped off very easily. Think I have a photo of these kitties...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I remember burying 2 or 3 so hopefully the rest survived.

gnmmarechal likes this.
  11. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Cremation :)