Homebrew Is it IMPOSSIBLE to install .cia with ninjahax 2.0 (9.8 firmware)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I foolishly updated my ds to 9.8 without knowing there were hacks but I found out about ninjahax so can I install .cia somehow? Or is kernel access mandatory. Because apparently here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/ it says that it supports ninjahax?
No just update to 9.9 you can run basic homebrew like Emulators/extDATA editing/Apps/ but never any thing that would modify the system. So to sum things up no you cant install CIA's on any 3DS above 9.2 unless you have Gateway/rxTools and you're using Emunand (which requires you to be on 9.2 and below).

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK only ninjahax 1.0 supports CIA installation. Nintendo patched am access (Application Managment Services, i.e. CIA utilities) and other stuff after ninjahax 1.0 was released, hence 2.0 doesn't support FBI.
Now the cool thing about ironhax exploit is in the video smea posted on vine/twitter showed some am:u logging so the consensus is that it will again be possible to use FBI. So just go ahead and update to 9.9 and download IronFall asap before it's taken down.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

EDIT: Yup, seems I'm a little wrong but still, get IronFall asap.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I foolishly updated my ds to 9.8 without knowing there were hacks but I found out about ninjahax so can I install .cia somehow? Or is kernel access mandatory. Because apparently here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/ it says that it supports ninjahax?
Also would you happen to have a NAND backup and what firmware would that backup be?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

AFAIK only ninjahax 1.0 supports CIA installation. Nintendo patched am access (Application Managment Services, i.e. CIA utilities) and other stuff after ninjahax 1.0 was released, hence 2.0 doesn't support FBI.
Now the cool thing about ironhax exploit is in the video smea posted on vine/twitter showed some am:u logging so the consensus is that it will again be possible to use FBI. So just go ahead and update to 9.9 and download IronFall asap before it's taken down.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone.
No even with Ninjhax/Ironhax 2.0 FBI is out of the question if you are over 9.2.

Reactions: ifrit05

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also would you happen to have a NAND backup and what firmware would that backup be?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No even with Ninjhax/Ironhax 2.0 FBI is out of the question if you are over 9.2.
You could install clean Cias without kernel access with the am service, but nintendo patched gspwn in 9.3. But actually, Smea may have found a new exploit for that, because we see him calling the am:init() in the HB menu a few weeks ago. If he managed to find a new exlpoit to call AM services, then we'd be able to downgrade by installing legit 9.2> cias.

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You could install clean Cias without kernel access with the am service, but nintendo patched gspwn in 9.3. But actually, Smea may have found a new exploit for that, because we see him calling the am:init() in the HB menu a few weeks ago. If he managed to find a new exlpoit to call AM services, then we'd be able to downgrade by installing legit 9.2> cias.

Wait you've got me interested. What do you mean by am:init()? sorry im a noob at 3ds hacking im only good with wii homebrew lol. Please explain how it is possible to downgrade to 9.2??

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait you've got me interested. What do you mean by am:init()? sorry im a noob at 3ds hacking im only good with wii homebrew lol. Please explain how it is possible to downgrade to 9.2??
We don't know what service he calls or how he uses it we will see a release soon and everyone will tinker like last time and make use of it.

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am:init() is the service call for Application Manager. AM deals with installing Cias. gspwn in 9.3 was patched, and gspwn was used to get those service calls. If you look in the HBmenu on Smealum's github, you can see that he recently added am:init() in there, hinting that he found a new exploit to gain said calls. If we find out how to use said exploit, we would be able to run a cia installer and install the 9.2 cias over sysnand. Obviously if said theory is true, then we can downgrade, but it is risky and people with hardmods would have to test it out a bunch to make sure it works.

Reactions: leerpsp

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So if this exploit is released, we will be able to use a 9.2 .cia to downgrade our 3ds. So then we can install the gateway ultra to downgrade to 4.5 and install emunand and we would have kernel access?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if this exploit is released, we will be able to use a 9.2 .cia to downgrade our 3ds. So then we can install the gateway ultra to downgrade to 4.5 and install emunand and we would have kernel access?
Yes but that's a long stretch and also there is no longer any benefit to downgrade to 4.5 as of now 9.2 is the sweet spot for compatability.

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. I'm sure there's more to it but basically we just need to find a way to call am services and this little mystery about am:init() is giving us something to hope for.

del_delly

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

There isn't really any point to that.
What we need is that the hack allows a full system breach, so we can install a proper Custom Firmware, to avoid having to start a application to run Homebrew.
That said, most of the homebrew devs are butthurt over the fact Custom Firmware will mean the core priority is loading ESHOP games, normal games, and a live injector to the emulators. And emulators is a priority after that.

The butthurt stems from the fact, we know from earlier homebrew scenes(Wii, PSP) that once Piracy is working properly, the demo apps people make will be ignored, because their quality is questionable(most of them). And whoever is making homebrew games is eiter over their head(writing custom engine), has no understanding of deving(no content creation tools, just convertors and .txt files), gets no recruitment due rare skills, bad at making progress, feature hell, or any other reason.

D

Deleted User

I think you CAN downgrade your system from the latest firmware, buuuut that requires a hardmod...

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Pretty much. I'm sure there's more to it but basically we just need to find a way to call am services and this little mystery about am:init() is giving us something to hope for.

AFAIK You can't downgrade NATIVE_FIRM. It seems Gateway, with the downgrading feature, injects pre-load firm0.bin and firm1.bin files.

And there is a lot of different kinds of AM services. For CIA installation we need AM:NET, and according to @motezazer, only NIM has access to it :(

Psi-hate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK You can't downgrade NATIVE_FIRM. It seems Gateway, with the downgrading feature, injects pre-load firm0.bin and firm1.bin files.

And there is a lot of different kinds of AM services. For CIA installation we need AM:NET, and according to @motezazer, only NIM has access to it :(
Ah, you're right. If there's no way around that, then a kernel exploit is needed.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am:init() is the service call for Application Manager. AM deals with installing Cias. gspwn in 9.3 was patched, and gspwn was used to get those service calls. If you look in the HBmenu on Smealum's github, you can see that he recently added am:init() in there, hinting that he found a new exploit to gain said calls. If we find out how to use said exploit, we would be able to run a cia installer and install the 9.2 cias over sysnand. Obviously if said theory is true, then we can downgrade, but it is risky and people with hardmods would have to test it out a bunch to make sure it works.

I don't have a hard mod but I can do one and i got a 9.2 backup from gateway and a 4.5 back up as well so I will test it out if my 3ds bricks i will hard mod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup