Is it illegal to buy flashcarts in the UK?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Italic, May 14, 2010.

May 14, 2010
  1. Italic
    OP

Newcomer Italic Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi, just a quick question. I'm thinking of ordering a Supercard DS two from Shoptemp, however I'm worried that this is illegal - more specifically in the UK. Obviously the item will get stopped in customs, and I believe it is illegal to import flashcarts for the purposes of supplying / reselling in the UK. What are your experiences? Thanks in advance.

2. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've never ordered a card from abroad but I've ordered plenty from shops in this country and they must get them in bulk from somewhere outside the UK. As far as I know I don't think it's illegal yet, it only seems to be Canada that's going for the real draconian approach to flash cards.
    Don't know if this helps, you will most probably get a reply from someone who has done this with no problem.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I bought an AceKard2i from DealExtreme which was despatched from Hong Kong and it got here without problems. In fact I've never heard of anyone have a flashcart seized by customs. The only story I heard was the guy who had something like 20k R4's seized but that was because he smuggled them (avoided paying import taxes), it was nothing to do with what they were.

4. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You'd have to be phenomenally unlucky for it to get stopped (aka confiscated) in customs (can you imagine how many packages enter the UK via the postal system each day?). If it attracts VAT and the Royal Mail's handling fee, you'd probably want to reject the package anyway as it would bump up the price considerably (£8 handling fee and 17.5% VAT on the declared value - if over £18 equivalent).

As you say - it may well be illegal to supply them, or to import for onward sale - especially if supplied in conjunction with a shedload of warez, but it's not illegal to import one yourself, just like it's not illegal to possess a 1kW FM transmitter, but switch it on and you're breaking the law.

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    If they were, this guy wouldn't be setting up shop every thursday and friday, where I live.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  6. Shorkio

Member Shorkio GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    O_O
    If in Finland there is shop like that, I don't know what would happen...

7. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    They'd be shut down for not taking €uro [​IMG]

8. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    HA!
    In my country there are a lot of stores I can buy R4 and acekards from!
    Piracy isnt that strict here though

and DO I SEE ASSASIN'S CREED IN THE PICTURE?!
    [​IMG]

9. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    Well they sell them on the market where i live also and they get alot of customers
    the nearby GAME isnt happy but nout they can do [​IMG]

10. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I live in the UK and nobody gives a toss about me owning a Cyclo DS Evolution. It's common knowledge to the staff in my local Game store that I own the device, they've seen me using it to prove beyond any doubt that I had Pokemon Soul Silver weeks before they did. Nobody cares. The simple fact is that reporting use of such a device to the authorities isn't worth your average person's time, so they just ignore it. It is technically illegal, but from what I've seen so long as it's for personal use and not a massive case full of flash cards for you to sell, nobody will take any notice whatsoever.

11. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No technically they are legal, it's how people use them which is illegal. It's no different from MP3 players, DVD Players, CD Players etc all of which can be used legally or illegally. The devices themselves are legal, but it's illegal to use them with copyrighted material you aren't entitled to use.

It's for this reason Nintendo lost their courtcase in France.

12. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    flashcards are legal but are used for illegal "things"
    it's more or less the same all over the world

13. friarhat

Newcomer friarhat Member

United Kingdom
    hehe, I wonder where that could be? [​IMG]

edit- they are legal when shipped, only when you flash them with the software that bypass's copyright do they become "illegal"

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    This is exactly what I thought too. Most people of course use flashcarts for commercial ROMs, but some use them in a legal way, by only using homebrew (mostly homebrew developers do this, like TeenDev).

15. frogmyster3

Member frogmyster3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I originally bought my R4 to play homebrew and so I could create my own. How that went out of the window with a few minutes of me opening it. [​IMG]

But it's that reason (and the fact I'll buy games anyway) that I haven't upgraded and won't be unless a decent one comes out for 3DS. Back to the original topic though, it's not illegal and I think I got mine from outside the UK and as far as I'm aware it didn't have any problems coming through customs either.

16. Louisvanharten

Newcomer Louisvanharten Advanced Member

Netherlands
    They're as legal as mp3-players, and in concept not much different from them either. Strictly, it's only legal to use them if you paid for the stuff you put on it, OR the stuff you put on it was free in the first place. I bet you don't "own" all albums on your ipod.