Hacking Is it hard to install a Wiikey?

j5c077

some old guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if youve never soldered, no i would not recommend you do it yourself. its pretty tough.

if you have soldered electronics boards before though it shouldnt be too bad

roboz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should try practicing first with something with really small solder points and solder a couple of wires to it. Or you could do it the easy way and ask someone to do it for you or get a premodded.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should try practicing first with something with really small solder points and solder a couple of wires to it. Or you could do it the easy way and ask someone to do it for you or get a premodded.

Yeah the getting it premodded idea is DEFINENTLY out because I already have a Wii and I don't know if theres even anyone in my area that could mod it for me which is why I'm asking just in case I can't find one..

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dont have cut pins, its not too bad.
I have shaky hands and managed the whole thing in 20 mins start to finish.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
If you do end up doing it yourself, a hands-free type of magnifying glass could be useful... I was wishing I had one, and my eyes are good... You'll manage without, but try to keep the wires as short as possible, I made mine too long and it didn't work as well as it should of. (Had to power off to switch backups etc) As someone told me, practice on some old computer parts, it helped.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
You might want to wait for Wlip, a solderless solution ... if you'll want to use WiiKey, you will have to solder (though not on the console itself, thankfully), but chips like YAOSM and Wiinja won't need it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You should check your Wii version, before thinking anything. If it's a D2A or D2B, you can think of doing a quicksolder Wiikey.

But if it's a D2C... it's better to not attempt anything. D2C modchips are a LOT harder to solder.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should check your Wii version, before thinking anything. If it's a D2A or D2B, you can think of doing a quicksolder Wiikey.

But if it's a D2C... it's better to not attempt anything. D2C modchips are a LOT harder to solder.

Yeah I realize. Gonna have to get a screw driver and see. Hopefully its not a D2C...

Edit: Also, is this a legit seller for a Wiikey? Thanks.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://forums.maxconsole.net/archive/index.php/t-48279.html

I read in the link above you can find out what chip your Wii is by looking at the serial number. My Serial is LU54 so that means that its a D2B Chip correct so that makes it Wiikey moddable?

Edit: Actually I found out that it might be a D2C..and what exactly does this mean?
QUOTE said:
There is a 50% chance that the pins on your drive chip are not cut.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat