Homebrew Is it even worth waiting for homebrew on a patched switch on 10.X.0?

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, 2 years ago I posted a thread to this forum asking whether or not I should wait for homebrew. The responses back then were essentially no unless you want to use the crappy SX thing. I am back, still on Mariko 10.2.0, I ask once again; Is there a way to get Atmosphere (or whatever the common FOSS CFW is) using those mod-chips, if not, does the future likely hold a method to do this in SW? I can wait, as long as it's foreseeable that it will happen atleast before Nintendo releases a fully new console. The switch library doesn't really interest me so I'm not really on the edge of wanting to update, running Android & emulators is far more appealing than the 2 games on the switch that I would even consider, it's already a paper weight in its current state to me, I'm not afraid of bricks by failed mod chip installation.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Given that do you have the chip installed already:

Did you use SXOS before? https://rentry.org/mys8q

Did you not and/or want to start from anew? https://rentry.org/MarikoEmuNAND

You can navigate through a whole library of useful guides using the back button at the bottom of each guide.
I linked the emuNAND guide because whether or not you are banned it's always a better idea to use an emuNAND in my opinion, although you can use said back button and then click on the link for sysNAND.

If you are done with the setup, you can also use this https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade to go for latest firmware which is 14.1.2. Atmosphere and other homebrews support it on their latest release and some games like TMNT require firmware 14.0.0+ anyway. If you need firmware files they are easily googled.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, I have not installed any mod chips or anything.
I'm still on a pure Switch that hasn't been exploited yet.
This is your first step then: https://rentry.org/IsMySwitchPatched
If it's patched, you need a chip, whether a SX one still floating around or HWFLY ones. No known software/RCM exploits (yet?).

PS: please don't be like that guy asking for a exploit every week or so.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello, 2 years ago I posted a thread to this forum asking whether or not I should wait for homebrew. The responses back then were essentially no unless you want to use the crappy SX thing. I am back, still on Mariko 10.2.0, I ask once again; Is there a way to get Atmosphere (or whatever the common FOSS CFW is) using those mod-chips, if not, does the future likely hold a method to do this in SW? I can wait, as long as it's foreseeable that it will happen atleast before Nintendo releases a fully new console. The switch library doesn't really interest me so I'm not really on the edge of wanting to update, running Android & emulators is far more appealing than the 2 games on the switch that I would even consider, it's already a paper weight in its current state to me, I'm not afraid of bricks by failed mod chip installation.
You are a little confused, on Mariko consoles YOU NEED A MODCHIP, if your console already have it use the post before. if you don't have a modchip, you need install one and go back to read the last pots. that has been since second semester of 2018 nothing has changed since then.

Atmosphére has been on air October 2018 and since then you can have it on an upatched console and on newer consoles with modchip.

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I was clear in the post, I know for sure I am on Mariko, I know there are no software exploits atm or incoming.
My question is if an actual software exploit is foreseeable or if I can use the mod chips without using the proprietary SX bootloader or OS.

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Doubts that the Switch is a magic machine that will never be exploited in SW ever again
Random GBATemp user: I mean you act like you're an expert at microsoft and nintendo security

This conversation is going nowhere, (how) can I close my thread?

Reactions: anhminh and nWo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Doubts that the Switch is a magic machine that will never be exploited in SW ever again
Random GBATemp user: I mean you act like you're an expert at microsoft and nintendo security

This conversation is going nowhere, (how) can I close my thread?
like I said, find the exploit yourself. what's so hard to understand? anyone is free to find an exploit. plus, didn't Nintendo have a software exploit on 4.1? even if a Mariko unit? same as xbox, so maybe it is good to compare the two.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I find that very hard to believe.
What's the reasoning behind this?
The reasoning is about read the information available here on GBATemp and so many other sites.
  1. Switch software is the heavily based on an already tested and used software on others consoles, so Nintendo did learn all the lessons. Did will no was "sofware hack" unless Nvidia (the hardware manufacturer) was make a mistake. PERIOD.
  2. A lot of very wise people who has been dedicated to the switch scene for the last 5 years with absolutely no reward has de-compiled the last bit of the switch software and they are sure will be no new software hack. There is some "new" but only works on firmwares who anybody have now.
But you still can't trust on that and get a IDE and start coding and when you find the new golden hack let us to know.

P.S. yes the security of Nintendo is ten times better than MS. MS has been using the same core for decades and still you find vulnerabilities every day (Windows). Almost all the vulnerabilities of Nintendo has been by third party pieces. like the one on Switch what really is a "hardware" one more than a software one. RSA on Wii and leaked private keys on 3DS.

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like I said, find the exploit yourself. what's so hard to understand? anyone is free to find an exploit. plus, didn't Nintendo have a software exploit on 4.1? even if a Mariko unit? same as xbox, so maybe it is good to compare the two.
IDK why you've decided to be a dick for no reason. It's a fact that Microsoft was more advanced compared to Nintendo with the security of their early 2000s devices (Hypervisors & efuses on 360 while Nintendo was still figuring out how to make a good RSA implementation on the Wii).

Reactions: nWo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like I said, fine the exploit yourself, or install a modchip. those are your only choices. you're the one who's been a dick, and you're now on my ignore list, so find the answers to any console yourself.

Reactions: zxr750j and r5xscn

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My advice on waiting for an exploit. No, find an exploitable unit. Because of the firsts easy exploitability people are less enticed to search for new exploits. you are missing a lot of fun time :)

BinaryBreaker_1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P.S. yes the security of Nintendo is ten times better than MS. MS has been using the same core for decades and still you find vulnerabilities every day (Windows).
I CAN'T BELIEVE Nintendo is using the "SUPER VULNERABLE" FreeBSD kernel, a kernel that has existed for DECADES & still has new vulnerabilities TO THIS DAY.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey