Hardware Is it even possible to go liquid anymore?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In short, I know that way back there was a kit from Koolance to help liquid cool a PS3 phat. It obviously required some case mod work, such as opening the grille to allow the tubes to go through to the blocks, but it was possible, and their work re-used the factory bolts and stuff to mount the blocks on.

That being said, sadly I only found out about this way too late, as of course the Koolance kit is discontinued/EOL'd out. But that being said, would it even be possible to liquid cool one if you wanted to now? It might be a helluva stretch, but I think it'd be awesome if it were possible to even put the kit all within the empty space that would be there from removing the ginormous heatsink.

At this point I'd just as settle for finding the block/mounting kit that would at least allow using an off-the-shelf rad/res/pump kit, so long as it fits the PS3 proper. console weight be damned, as long as it manages to work and cool the thing. :yayps3:

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to, sure. Be prepared to spend quite a bit money on it. You would need two generic water blocks, compression fittings, tubing, reservoir, radiators, fans, and pump. Because you are using generic water blocks you also need to devise a way to secure water blocks in place.

Of course you also have to figure out how to power the cooling system, bypass PWM detection PS3 uses. Definitely possible, you will be spending $200+.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bypass the PWM? What do you mean?

So I'm guessing because it's not detecting the rpm's of the stock fan, you're saying it would freak out? If that is the case, I wonder how the Koolance kit handles that. From what I could tell, that kit just had some blocks that were the right size to fit at least the PS3's existing bolt pattern. I didn't see any part of it that would plug into the fan sensor.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS3 does shut down if it cannot detect fan spinning. Koolance kit only provides you a water cooling kit. You are still responsible to drill and do the wiring by yourself.

Also, the kit does not cover internal PSU cooling, which is needed if you are going to liquid cooling.

And you need to make sure surrounding voltage regulating module (VRM) are properly cooled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.