Is it enough to block port 80 TCP to block updates?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Pajar0, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Pajar0
    OP

Pajar0 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Barbados
    Hello,

My router is crap, while it says it can block domains, it is not really blocking them. It is just blocking TCP connections on ports 80 (and maybe 443).
    If you try to navigate to a blocked domain you will be redirected to a local webpage stating that site is blocked.However, you can still reach those destinations with ICMP, for example.

My questions is would that be enough protection against unwanted updates or should I use another method?

Thank you.

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    if you cant get it working, you can always get a new router or just delete your internet settings on the wii u

3. Pajar0
    OP

Pajar0 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Barbados
    I know or use other ways to block updates, but that's not what I am asking

4. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    TubeHax DNS = 107.211.140.065
    Chncdcksn Hax = 104.236.072.203

They both blocks Ninty Update server (NUS)

i highly recommand Chncdcksn DNS

Just go in your internet settings and modify the DNS

Last edited by NexoCube, Nov 3, 2016 - Reason: removed parenthesis
  5. kyle9252

kyle9252 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    United States
    OpenDNS

6. dojafoja

dojafoja life elevated

Jan 2, 2014
    Pretty sure you would lose internet too because that's the default port for your internet connection. Afaik.

7. Pajar0
    OP

Pajar0 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Barbados
    It let you block specific domains, but it only blocks HTTP/HTTPS. So, internet won't be affected.

The question is if the console can update itself if ports TCP 80 and 443 are blocked for Nin domains.
    But people keeps telling me about DNS blocking methods, which is something I don't want to use and I did not ask about.

8. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Why? TubeHax and Chncdcksn's DNS servers are fine solutions. At least specify why you don't want to use something that's incredibly simple.

9. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    the homebrew DNS works well as they should but you really should also focus on using parental controls in your router so you have that extra layer of protection if something were to happen to the other DNS methods.

10. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    That's what setting the secondary DNS to 192.168.0.0 or some invalid IP is for. In case of failure on the TubeHax/Chncdcksn side, all internet access will be blocked.